Triggering SD3 with Roland TD-25 – volume too low….can’t get volume high enough to be usable

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)
  • flyingv42
    Participant

There should also be and over all midi volume, just like in Ez Drummer 2 at the bottom of the page on the right.
    Just don’t crank it to loud or you will get distortion.EZ-Drummer-2.jpg

Derek Schaaf
    Participant

@John said:
    Hi,

SD3 Core content is much more dynamic and not as ‘cranked’ as e.g. the EZdrummer 2 Pop/Rock EZX.
    Also, it depends on if you are using a ‘clean’ mixer or not.
    I think you will notice a difference from the Default preset and clean kits if you select e.g. the ‘Radio Rock Yamaha’ or ‘Magnetic Tape’ presets, which are processed with EQ, Comp, etc.

BR,
    John  

Thanks John!

RuffRider
    Participant

@ Derek – My computer is a Windows machine… When I switched between EZ Drummer 2 & Superior Drummer 3 I did not change any settings at all.

Derek Schaaf
    Participant

@RuffRider said:
    @ Derek – My computer is a Windows machine… When I switched between EZ Drummer 2 & Superior Drummer 3 I did not change any settings at all.  

Thanks 🙂

Derek Schaaf
    Participant

@John said:
    Hi,

SD3 Core content is much more dynamic and not as ‘cranked’ as e.g. the EZdrummer 2 Pop/Rock EZX.
    I think you will notice a difference from the Default preset and clean kits if you select e.g. the ‘Radio Rock Yamaha’ or ‘Magnetic Tape’ presets, which are processed with EQ, Comp, etc.

BR,
    John  

I did try “Radio Rock Yamaha” and everything is quite a bit louder. Thx

Darren Simpson
    Participant

@John said:
    Hi,

BR,
    John  

So why did Nick D’Virgillio say dial in the preset and away you go making music. He was swappiing drums all sorts of things with zero problems. Are you saying those without a Roland TD-50 got some work to do before we get to play at a nominal volume. As a Roland TD-15 owner That is pretty disturbing to be honest. My out of the box experience (Windows 10 I5 3570k 16 gigs of ram samsung evo 840 ssd Realtek Hi Definition sound) is abysmal at this present time. I have yet to see a video that addresses my problem, would love to be pointed in that direction thanks.

Derek Schaaf
    Participant

@Darren Simpson said:

So why did Nick D’Virgillio say dial in the preset and away you go making music. He was swappiing drums all sorts of things with zero problems. Are you saying those without a Roland TD-50 got some work to do before we get to play at a nominal volume. As a Roland TD-15 owner That is pretty disturbing to be honest. My out of the box experience (Windows 10 I5 3570k 16 gigs of ram samsung evo 840 ssd Realtek Hi Definition sound) is abysmal at this present time. I have yet to see a video that addresses my problem, would love to be pointed in that direction thanks.  

I agree, it is completely unusable at this point! I have requested a refund until this issue is resolved. I was told that they cannot refund once the product has been registered however I said that should not apply for a product that is not working properly/ not functioning as described.

Thorsten Rauch
    Participant

Hi,
    I use SD2 with a TD-50 (via Roland USB + ASIO Driver) and everything works fine – the volume and trigger sensitivity as well – without any “special” settings.
    If I use SD3 with the TD-50 I have the same volume problems as described by Derek: The output volume is unusable low and a click to virtual instrument with my mouse, it is SUPER loud.
    I figured out that the trigger sensitivity seems NOT to be the problem: For example – if I hit the snare, the TD-50 shows the same velocity value as the SD3 MIDI monitor!
    Nevertheless, If I change the velocity curve in SD3 for each single instrument, it works better, but this can be only a workaround!
    Any thoughts / comments from your side?

Greetings,
    Thorsten

Derek Schaaf
    Participant

Hi,

I have adjusted the velocity curve as suggested by support, and although t does get a bit louder, it is still not really loud enough to be usable. What I am noticing when I look at the MIDI monitor for example is that when I am hitting the kick drum ( Literally as hard as I can) it is only registering velocities in the high 50s and mid 60s…on one sample and 50’s – 80’s on the other.

Shouldn’t it be a lot higher than that?

Thanks,
    Derek

PastedGraphic-2.png
    PastedGraphic-1.png

Olof Westman
    Forum Crew

This is our open E-drum workshop forum where you discuss making
    your own drum pads and tweaking drum modules. Which might be
    fine for your posts. But if you expect support for SD3 you should post
    in the SD3 support forum:

https://www.toontrack.com/forum/superior-drummer-3-help/

Olof Westman - Toontrack
    Coder

Derek Schaaf
    Participant

Thank you. I wasn’t aware that this wasn’t the SD3 support forum. I will look to move it over.

Thanks,
    D

pandarocks
    Participant

Hi,

Any update on this as I’m having the same problem using a Roland TD30 to trigger SD3? The output volume is really low despite correct velocity midi input into SD3.

Help!

Thanks,
    Chris

Lukas Grumet
    Participant

SAME HERE!
    I am using a Roland TD30 and a Windows Laptop…SD3 just won’t play back loud enough. I’ve cranked up the audio output to max level. Still not loud enough. To be honest it’s almost useless if it stays that way.

Derek Schaaf
    Participant

No response yet and I have asked ToonTrack for a refund as I am going to have to go to another product in the meantime as this is unusable.

D

Juicy
    Participant

@Derek Schaaf said:
    Hi,

I have adjusted the velocity curve as suggested by support, and although t does get a bit louder, it is still not really loud enough to be usable. What I am noticing when I look at the MIDI monitor for example is that when I am hitting the kick drum ( Literally as hard as I can) it is only registering velocities in the high 50s and mid 60s…on one sample and 50’s – 80’s on the other.

Shouldn’t it be a lot higher than that?

PastedGraphic-2.png
    PastedGraphic-1.png  

Yeah it should be way higher 127 to be exact, did you try adjust the Trig Sens on the pad in the module, Its just a tweak away, and sometimes needed.
    Don’t expect that the Roland will convey the same velocity to an outside engine as it does with its own. Set some velocities up to 12-18 to get some oomph.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.