Triggering SD3 with Roland TD-25 – volume too low….can’t get volume high enough to be usable

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 15 replies - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • MintberryCrunch
    Participant

I use a high quality phone amp which sounds superbly and provides super high volumes when needed. Here you can read about my gear chain: https://www.facebook.com/groups/579177292995927/posts/842574233322897/ 🙂

JamesAP
    Participant

I have to say their seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread and mixed up stories. 

The main issue being complained about is due to the Midi velocity from the drum module not registering the same value in the Superior Drummer 3 software.  I just bought this software, I have a TD17KVX and have the exact same problem, doesn’t matter what roland present you choose to use.

The issue has absolutely nothing to do with Audio Gain settings whatsoever.  All you are doing buy modifying audio gain settings is just cranking up the volume so loud to hear a barely audible output from SD3, if you were to play a song on your PC via youtube or spotify for example at the same time, you’d blow your god damn ears off. 

And this only applies to when you have your headphones connected directly to the module, this obviously has no effect if you have your headphones plugged into an audio interface being used as your audio output.

The exact some rule applies, if you increase your audio interface headphone out a ludicrous amount, you can begin to hear some correct sound coming from SD3, but again play a youtube video at the same time and again you will become instantly deaf.

I don’t care what SD3 support has to say about this issue, this is clearly not normal.  And they need to understand it and fix it, SD3 should not tranlsate midi note velocity, it should receive the velocity exactly as it is outputted from the drum module or from any midi controller source. 

• This post was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by JamesAP.
    JamesAP
    Participant

Having anaylsed more closely, and looking at the note velocity coming from the drum module, the velocities being registered in SD3 seem to be exactly the same.

The problem actually lies in the direct translation of those of note velocities to note volume.

Now I must ask the question to SD3 Developers here, what is the point of having Roland Midi Kit presets if you do not adjust the velocity to note volume ratio accordingly ?

It would appear the only thing you coded in the Roland Midi Kit presets is the midi note mappings, that’s about it.

This is what needs to be adjusted.

So unfortunately the only workaround is to adjust the velocity curve within SD3 per god damn pad and cymbal, a laborious task, but unfortunately the only solution.

Thanked by: GlenHodgetts and Cojones
    JamesAP
    Participant

Ok so having pissed around more with this application and the Roland TD 17 drum module I noticed something.  For every single pad on the roland drum module the note velocity ranges from on average : 0 to 80, it never reaches 127, unless you mess around with sensitivity settings.  And the standard velocity curve is set to linear, same as SD3.

So to fix the low sound problem in SD3, go to the midi editing page, trigger a pad on your kit, and instead of modifying the velocity curve directly, instead drag the right hand 3 little dots to the left which will basically decrease the the note range similar to the module, drag it to around 89. The linear velocity curve in SD3 will compress and you will end up with a correct sound when hitting your drum pads.

You will have to do this for each pad. If you are still not satisfied with the volume of each pad, drag the slider more to the left, compress the range according to your needs. I have included a screenshot to show you what I mean.

Once you have edited all the pads, save your preset, and just load it each time you load the software. No more low sound crap.

Laborious I know, but worth the effort in the long run.

Jorg
    Participant

I hope the upcoming EZdrummer 3 will offer a better velocity to volume ratio

Cojones
    Participant

I didn’t want to adjust the sensitivity levels or velocity curves in my Td-27 to get higher velocity values in SD3 so JamesAP’s solution worked for me.

Here’s a nice shortcut to save you a huge amount of time.  You can select all notes in the editor by pressing Ctrl-A.  Then you can apply the velocity mapping change as per JamesAP’s instructions to all notes simultaneously.

Thanked by: GlenHodgetts, ReiskaReiskanen and kenmelian
    Sahil Risal
    Participant

Hi, can you please share how did you solve this issue. I have a same problem with my td 27 module and I have been looking for a solution for days. Thank you

kenmelian
    Participant

Hi, I also have the same problem with my TD-27 and SD3. I also have been looking for a solution for days. I have tried the velocity mapping change as per JamesAP’s instructions, and the shortcut per Cojones. Thank you both! But I had to move the velocity to 50 to get a similar volume level, is this going to limit the dynamics or cause some other issue by moving it so low? Thanks again!

DASdrum_1
    Participant

Here is the short answer: The default gain in the USB audio settings in the Roland Brain is way too low by default.   Mine was at -18 dcb.  Dial it up to -10 or -6 and you will hear an Enormous difference!!!!!   Huge sound now!!

DASdrum_1
    Participant

See my post.  I also have a TD -27.  Its fixed in the brain with USB audio settings.  Velocity in SD3 isn’t the issue. Velocity should only be for fine tuning.

jkoski
    Participant

I see that last post in this thread has been 7 months ago…

I have the same volume issue with my TD27KV and SD3.
    I use an M1 MacBook Air on Ventura 13.3.1

I haven’t played the drums for a few months, but did not use to have this issue in either EZ Drummer or SD3.  Now, I have no volume when using my TD27.  I have everything connected using USB, and have the settings correct.

When I hit the drums, I can see that it is being triggered on the screen, but no sound.  I have tried changing the velocity and no changes… still no sound from the drums triggering.

I’ve tried using two different studio monitors, both going through my Focusrite 8i6 and also through the Mac speakers and headphone out to other monitors.  Still no sound.

But when I click the drums using my mouse in the Drum View… sounds perfect!!!

WTH is the deal here????  I’ve spent a few days trying to resolve, searching forums and Google for an answer.  None of the solutions have worked!

drramin
    Participant

this is what improved mine massively:

-increase trigger sensitivity in the Roland module

-I have the curve to linear on pads and log1 on cymbals

-adjusting/  arrowing velocity curves in sd3 as suggested

That fixed the mouse click vs drumpad trigger volume issue.

-I’m using an aggregate device and had it at 96khz. The Roland module upsamples the files and it sounded absolutely terrible. Sd3 files are 44.1khz and the td27 is 48khz (with upsample capability which didn’t work for me), so setting the aggregate device (inferface) and the daw setting to 44.1khz (48khz works too) made a world of a difference.
    Disappointing that sd3 is so fuzzy about this wheras stuff sounds good out of the box with ezdrummer3 (edrum optimized option).
    If all that won’t work, check if your usb cable speed ain’t a bottleneck.
    Hope that helped someone.

• This post was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by drramin.
    Dan McCarthy
    Participant

The idea that we the users have to use all manner of eq, compressors etc to get a decent output level is ridiculous. This is for Toontrack to fix!

BlueMistral
    Participant

I just use an audio interface, I use the roland as midi trigger interface, all the audio comes from the audio interface (babyface pro FS) and I can get it loud enough without modifying any settings in SD3.

Andrew Payne
    Participant

Not sure if this will help but it is what I have done and I get heaps of volume with core SD3 and all SDX’s that I use.

Yes.

Operating system: macOS High Sierra (10.13)

cheers Andrew

Dell Precision 7730, i7 6 Core 2.6 GHz, 128GB RAM, 1TB SSD and 3 x 2TB SSD, Cubase Pro 12, SD3 plus Fields of Rock, Rooms of Hansa, Legacy of Rock, Death & Darkness, Rock Foundry, Progressive Foundry, Metal Foundry, Metal Machinery, Orchestral Percussion, Custom & Vintage, Hitmaker, NY Studios 1-3, EZX Kicks & Snares, EZX Latin Percussion. EZX Latin Cuban Percussion, EZBASS, RME BabyFace Pro FS and KRK V4 monitors. Yamaha DTX900 triggering SD3. Akai MPK-Mini MIDI keyboard controller

Viewing 15 replies - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.