To Mr. Whitten

Studio Corner
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Whitten
    Participant

Ouch. Too hard.
    I guess my favourite kit on the sample pack is the Camco, although I have a strong attachment to the N&C Star series.
    Maybe I need to make it two kits……

Camco kit and N&C Star kit.
    Two snares:
    Ludwig Black Beauty 1920’s version, Craviotto Timeless Timber Birch.
    Two cymbal sets:
    Paiste Sound Creation – Dark Rides, mellow rides, dark hats.
    K Zildjian (1980’s/90’s) – 20″ EAK/McCartney ride, dark crashes.

drufix
    Participant

Thank you for answer!
    But it´s to bad that there is no RT2 Ludwig and no RT3 Ludwig, Camco and Slingerland. Was these toms never made or didn´t you have them when you you made C&V. If you do have them could there be an update with the missing toms??

Whitten
    Participant

I don’t understand ‘RT2’ and ‘RT3’?
    The Ludwig was a standard two tom kit. A lot of players prefer that set-up.
    The Camco came with three toms.
    Different numbers of toms is standard in the drumming world.
    A kit is usually sold with a certain tom configuration.
    The vinatge Camco kit was obviously bought with three toms.
    If I’d wanted to add a fourth tom….. firstly Oaklawn era Camco drums are extremely rare and expensive, secondly if I’d ever been able to source and afford the fourth tom it might not have sound matched the rest of the kit.

drufix
    Participant

It´s kind of funny that you don´t understand RT. Are you really Mr Whitten??. Rack Tom 2, Rack Tom 3. It´s how it´s set up In CV. Is it possible to make an x drum from the same set and tune it down. Would it sound like the real thing??

Scott

Is it possible to make an x drum from the same set and tune it down. Would it sound like the real thing??

It depends on who’s listening. Tuning up/down a kit piece may sound good or it may not, depending on how much it is tuned. Also, a tuned kit piece will not react the same way that the real, un-artificially tuned kit piece would. Mostly in the overtone department. So my best advise would be to just try it and see how you like it.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

drufix
    Participant

Well. I´ve done it and for me it seems to work ok. Can´t really hear any difference. This was the Camco set.

Whitten
    Participant

ORIGINAL: drufix

It´s kind of funny that you don´t understand RT.

When I’m choosing sounds I hit the arrow for the pulldown menu and I’m generally looking at the choices.
    I’ve never looked above the first drum choice. I see now it’s RT.
    Where i come from they’re called mounted toms anyway.

jbraner
    Participant

20″ EAK/McCartney ride,

I love this cymbal. I put it into all my kits (no matter what SDX they’re from)

John Braner
    http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
    and all the major streaming/download sites.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Reaper 7 x64 (latest version), Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, AMD Ryzen 3950x, 32GB RAM, MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi mobo (not using wifi though), NVIDIA GEForce GT710 video card, MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface

drufix
    Participant

Well here I am again mr. Whitten.

I´m just wondering if some of the kits in CV is more of a live set than a studio set. Or is it no difference. I´v tried some of the kits with more sound but I´m always ending up with the Gretsch kit. Maybe I´m using them wrong? Any input would be nice.

Whitten
    Participant

They are all studio kits.
    One or two are borrowed – the Slingerland Studio King and the Ludwig Keystone. But the Camco, N&C and Gretsch are all kits I would usually use for recording, not touring.

drufix
    Participant

Didn´t you use N&C on tour with McCartney?. What has changed, is it not any good on tour? Or just to expensive. I think that all the Toms in all sets are sounding ok, but the kick drum I feel is a little dull on all sets. Would be nice to have some updated sounds on all the sets. I´m also trying out the Abbey Road drums and I think the kick drums on these sets have a nice sound, maybe a more live sound. So it would be nice to have something like that on C&V, something in between.

Whitten
    Participant

Hi,
    Yes I used the N&C kit on the McCartney tour.
    I have a different style of N&C kit I use for live playing (Horizon). The Star series is too rare and valuable to me.
    I sometimes use the Gretsch kit for very small gigs.
    But I don’t gig a lot, preferring to concentrate on studio.
    The bass drums are purposely not bright in C&V. We felt all the bass drums available at that time (Superior, BFD etc) were pretty clicky and wanted to offer something different.
    The bass drum sound also matches the vibe of the complete collection, as in NOT contemporary rock.

drufix
    Participant

Thanks for reply. I´m now messing around with the different kick drums to find who I like best with monoroom and comproom. I can´t really hear any difference in those rooms only on the snare drum. Is this as it should be or can it be a “bug”

drufix
    Participant

Ok. Same thing as I´v said before. The toms on the gretsch set in the overheads are not panned as it should. They all are on one side. Please fix this in an update. It seems that it´s the high tom and middle tom thats way of. I´m not sure how it´s possible ´couse the cymbals are ok. There is something wrong with the panning in AMB. IN overhead the HH is on one side and in AMB on the other side. You should really look into this. I´m using the Gretsch set.
    Maybe I do´t understand this use of ambiance but the N&C kick is a little to one side in the OH and a little to the other side in the AMB??????

Whitten
    Participant

Sounds like you have a few problems.
    Certainly the Grestch toms should not be panned to one side.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.