Superior Drummer 3 Upgrade Discontinued?!

Superior Drummer 3 Pre-sales
Viewing 15 replies - 151 through 165 (of 211 total)
  • If it’s any help, FXPansion have 40% off BFD3 atm, taking it to £167 (UK) – and they have a very clear upgrade path for all customers.

I don’t understand, could you be so kind to explain me that, please?

I just need to upgrade Superior Drummer v.2, to v.3

Thanks in advance

Antonio
    Participant

madfiddler wrote: If it’s any help, FXPansion have 40% off BFD3 atm, taking it to £167 (UK) – and they have a very clear upgrade path for all customers. I don’t understand, could you be so kind to explain me that, please? I just need to upgrade Superior Drummer v.2, to v.3

That upgrade is a dead end. It’s months owners are complaining here and in similar threads, but no one from Toontrack has ever replied, or at least been so kind to explain why. The only way to upgrade is to buy it at full price, or if you have EZDrummer, cross grade from it. I have EZDrummer too, but I decided to stop buying Toontrack products altogether, so I will never go that path.

@madfiddler is just suggesting to look at the competition. BFD3 is sonically great in my opinion, I have it. And they honor upgrades from version x to version x + 1. It’s a great alternative to SD3.

Thanked by: Bartholomew Boge

madfiddler wrote: If it’s any help, FXPansion have 40% off BFD3 atm, taking it to £167 (UK) – and they have a very clear upgrade path for all customers. I don’t understand, could you be so kind to explain me that, please? I just need to upgrade Superior Drummer v.2, to v.3

That upgrade is a dead end. It’s months owners are complaining here and in similar threads, but no one from Toontrack has ever replied, or at least been so kind to explain why. The only way to upgrade is to buy it at full price, or if you have EZDrummer, cross grade from it. I have EZDrummer too, but I decided to stop buying Toontrack products altogether, so I will never go that path.

@madfiddler is just suggesting to look at the competition. BFD3 is sonically great in my opinion, I have it. And they honor upgrades from version x to version x + 1. It’s a great alternative to SD3.

Now it’s clear, tocayo. Thank you

hkollner
    Participant

Ready to upgrade from SD2 to SD3…. No upgrade option. Really sad 🙁 Did not even know the upgrade option expired. Been a loyal Toontrack customer for years. Own many SDX’s. Just upgraded Steven Slate Drums 4 to 5. Will be using that going forward I guess.

Thanked by: Bartholomew Boge, Zounge and Ben_4
    Juan Manuel
    Participant

I actually feel cheated as a consumer. I’ve been loyal to Toontrack for years and own various products, including Superior Drummer 2. I invested in the company because it inspired trust… now I just feel cheated.

Is this to be expected from any of their products from now on? Is every upgrade going to come with a “give us your money RIGHT NOW or lose it” intimidation tactic? There’s a word in the dictionary for that, it’s called harrassement.

Not having an option to upgrade from SD 2.0 is a low blow, but to not even offer a crossgrade option is shameless, especially when they offer it for EZDrummer customers which payed much less for it than what we did for SD 2.0 originally; it just doesn’t make any sense.

I personally don’t feel comfortable investing anymore in the company knowing that this tactic could be the name of the game at any given moment. Time to look elsewhere.

Zounge
    Participant

^agreed.

I bought SD2 many years ago when I was using E-Drums, a little while later I got to own a studio in which I could play acoustic drums 24/7, so I wasn’t using SD2 much. Now my housing situation has changed and I’m once again relying on E-Drums. I’d love to upgrade to SD3 – but It just feels wrong knowing the 200 bucks I’ve spent on SD2 were completely wasted. So I’m not going to do that.

It is true that this business pracitce isn’t “unethical” – but just plain unpractical.

Toontrack is alienating customers with this move, robbing themself of money and musicians of sound.

A lose – lose situation, if you will.

• The post has been modified 3 times, last modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Zounge.

Thanked by: Bartholomew Boge, ilter and stefdrum
    robegian
    Participant

I’ve just moved to macOS Catalina, so I’d have to upgrade my Superior Drummer 2 to version 3 (version 2 looks incompatible with Catalina)… and now I discover that there is no upgrade path. Seriously?

P.S. I wish there were a Fxpansion BFD3 crossgrade option — I’m seriously considering the switch anyway.

redlogic
    Participant

Superior Drummer 2 definitely works on Catalina.
    I installed it last night and everything works as it should.
    But, if you plan on sticking with Superior, you should probably get SD3 at some point.
    As MacOS evolves, SD2 will certainly be orphaned eventually.

Macmini 2019 3.2 GHz 6-Core i7, 32GB RAM, MacOS 10.15.2, LogicProX 10.4.8, FF400, UAD2 Satellite Octo

Antonio
    Participant

P.S. I wish there were a Fxpansion BFD3 crossgrade option — I’m seriously considering the switch anyway.

From time to time they have promos, like during last christmas, BFD3 was 40% off. I buy most of my plugins at audiodeluxe.com (they have unbeatable prices), if you subscribe to their newsletter you will know when it’s time to buy.

Thanked by: robegian
    Antonio
    Participant

As MacOS evolves, SD2 will certainly be orphaned eventually.

Sadly, it looks like the same will certainly happen to their owners…

robegian
    Participant

Superior Drummer 2 definitely works on Catalina.

That’s good news — albeit Logic keeps telling me “The plug-in named “Superior Dr” isn’t available on your system” after I moved to a new iMac (27″ i9) and I installed all from scratch, so I assumed it was old Superior Drummer’s fault.

John Grande
    Participant

And these are the people who get to vote and believe everything someone else says because they do not pay attention to what is being said.

Josh_guitarreiru
    Participant

It’s frustrating to realize that you no longer have the upgrade option from SD2. Why Toontrack, why?

Check out my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/joshguitarreiru

Thanked by: Bartholomew Boge and ilter
    Brock Stapper
    Participant

just bought EZ-Keys and a whole lot of add-ons.

Decided to upgrade Superior Drummer as well as order the SSD.  Only to find out what you guys and girls already know.  Unbelievable there isn’t an upgrade path available other than a slight discount for EZ-Drummer (which I also own).

Had I discovered this first I likely would have held on to my money and I’m definitely taking this into account if I decide to make any future purchases from Toontrack.  Which is doubtful considering that I feel like I am likely to lose upgrade paths for any currently owned, or future purchased, software.  Why would I continue to invest in software that does not appear will be supported via upgrade path in the future?

And for those arguing that “at least they didn’t implement a subscription model”.  They are welcome to do so, but the result will be the same for me.  No upgrade paths – no upgrades or purchases from me.  Subscription model implemented – no future upgrades or purchases from me.

Bad move on the lack of an upgrade path for existing customers who have invested in your products, Toontracks.

Thanked by: Bartholomew Boge and ilter
    ilter
    Participant

What we, SD2 owners need:

-Crossgrade-
    For owners of any version of Superior Drummer 2
    $319 | €269 | 2 499 SEK

Is it THAT difficult to understand?
    I would be a little disappointed to be treated the same way as EZDrummer owners,
    but I don’t mind paying the same money as they do, when they want a crossgrade.

What’s wrong with that?

Music Producer, Mixer
    Certified Pro Tools Instructor
    & Creative at Apple
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/ilter/

Thanked by: Bartholomew Boge and Jan
Viewing 15 replies - 151 through 165 (of 211 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.