SD 3 and hi hat

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Olof Westman
    Forum Crew

Sandy, just wanted to start by mentioning that what you describe has nothing to do with the problems the OP had.
    In your case, what you ask for is just nothing we offer. We have recorded 8 levels of openness for the hihat and the CC-control let’s you use a pedal to control which one you play and also changes any ringing sound into the openness dictated by the pedal. We offer nothing in between these 8 levels.

Olof Westman - Toontrack
    Coder

keith andrew
    Participant

Matthew – what is the cy5/fd7 combo?

keith andrew
    Participant

Olof – what Sandy is pointing out is exactly the problem I had and continue to have. No cross fading or smoothing of transitions between the HH sounds.

Olof Westman
    Forum Crew

Well, what can I say, we never interpreted what you wrote like that. We thought that your problem was that you found the transitions too jagged and we identified an issue in your project and thought that pointing it out helped you.
    Sandy, on the other hand, just don’t want transitions at all, no matter whether the crossfades are smooth or not.

Olof Westman - Toontrack
    Coder

aad
    Participant

Hi,

I am having the same issues here using the hi hat with Alesis dm-10.

I searched all over the internet and found a lot of others complaining about an unusable hihat with different e-drums.

Although there has been contact with customer support about this, nowhere I have found a solution or any explanation.

So here I go!

I use alesis dm-10 studio mesh kit with standard hihat pedal.

I restored the drum module to factory settings.

The hihat pedal sends cc4 messages.

Superior drummer 3 receives these messages.

I use the alesis dm-10 e-drum preset. (And tried all others)

The problem is that the sound of the hihat is very bad and practically unusable.

When the hihat is open and I hit it there is the open sound. But when I then close the pedal a bit the sound changes abruptly from open to less open. If I close the pedal after hitting and close it directly you can hear the sound going through the different samples which gives a very strange effect because the transitions between the samples are not smooth.

Playing with the pedal half open is giving trouble because the sound of the different closed stages can bump from the one sample to the other.

To see if this has anything to do with my hardware I tested if this would also happen when the build in sequencer is playing back hihat strokes while manually drawing the cc4 curve which reflects the state of the pedal and see what would happen.

To my surprise the same bumps in the sound.!

I recorded the screen and the audio and like to upload it here so someone might have a look and listen at it. But the file seems to be too big ( low res 24 sec)

from the many YouTube reviews and positive reactions it is obvious that not everybody has this issue.

I am asking if there is a solution. If there is it would be nice to post it somewhere as a reply so we can find it.

Olof Westman
    Forum Crew

If you want support for SD3 you should post in
    https://www.toontrack.com/forums/forum/superior-line/superior-drummer-3-help/

Olof Westman - Toontrack
    Coder

B Sandy
    Participant

OK, I’ve created a post in the SD3 help forum on this issue:

https://www.toontrack.com/forums/topic/non-smooth-transition-between-hi-hat-samples/

aad
    Participant

Thanks. But The link does not to work.

DutchDoctor
    Participant

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, trying to find some answers on this myself.

I’m listening the the .sd3 file supplied in this thread and I’m experiencing the exact same thing.

I’m on a Roland TD50 and VH11 hats. I too have noticed this rather jarring hard cut between HH sample layers when moving the HH control pedal. I have attempted increasing the “level envelope releasetime” as stated by the staff here, but it doesn’t change the crossfade (or lack thereof!) between the 8 sample layers.

Once your hihat CC pedal crosses one of those layer thesholds, the audio INSTANTLY snaps to the new sample layer with no audible crossfade whatsoever. Resulting in a really noticeable unnatural sound.  Curious that I too an trying to use the Bosphorous traditional hats, as they are my favourite.

Even the basic built in Roland TD50 sounds don’t do this on the same setup. There is surely a way to fix this in the software end of things. An adjustable microfade between hi hat control layers would totally do the trick.

Thanked by: DayvanCowboy88 and Steve
    stianskog
    Participant

+ 1 here,

same thing and wish for the future if its not already existing. I notice a small feeling of defensiveness from Olof, though. Hope the Toontrack team can see this as constructive criticism in order to get this AWESOME product even more AWESOME. Some kind of cross fade between articulations or a smoother blend of sounds, would have made it all feel fluid:-)

Hope for positiv reply from Toontrack.

Thanked by: dsully15 and DayvanCowboy88
    Steve
    Participant

Hi B Sandy, Have you ever found a resolution to this problem? Just got in to SD3 and must say this lack of sample crossfade is really unfortunate.

Thanks, Steve

Jorg
    Participant

The solution for this would be implementing something “send CC data only if hihat is hit”, so if you are doing only fast closed pedal you don’t hear any open articulations, like it is right now…

dsully15
    Participant

I am in the same boat, using a TD-17 with a vh-10 hi hat. The software is mind blowing, but the hi hat for sure has something sticky about it. I have considered just using live hi hats, but would love to keep it all in SD3 for simplicity.

Jorg
    Participant

This video from the developer of the edrumin midi to trigger device shows what the hihat issue is for many edrummers, his device works wonders and I absolutely recommend it.

https://youtu.be/EnnAscbn9gU?t=382

DutchDoctor
    Participant

This is EXACTLY the problem. 100%.

I’m going to try this eDRUMin. Sounds like a game changer.

Toontrack take note! THIS is what you need to implement to fix this issue everyone is experiencing!

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.