Four amazing deals,
this weekend only!

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

“Product Manager” Is there are way to change installation path?

Product Manager
Viewing 9 replies - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • John

Which Installation path are you referring to? Can you please post a screen shot?

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Kevin Mulvihill
    Participant

Lot of unhappy people on this thread. I’m also unhappy but I am on another thread: https://www.toontrack.com/forums/topic/i-cant-move-and-then-locate-my-ezdrummer-libraries-on-external-ssd/#post-3070842

It’s likely that the mess that pathing is in the Product Manager is the result of poor design decisions made during the earliest days of the company. And that’s OK, you got to get started somehow. What is distinctly unpleasant now though is that this has never been fixed. And I understand why… the Product Manager isn’t a profitable product. It’s just a necessary utility product. There’s nothing sexy or directly profitable about working on it.

But not working on it to make it meet the needs of your users is disrespectful to your user base. Some of the posts in this thread go back years. And the response has not been impressive.

Here’s all we need team: add a second path in Product Manager Preferences that points to the overarching directory for all Toontrack samples. The VSTs and program files can remain on the system drive, but we should have full flexibility to move the samples wherever we want and it shouldn’t be a hassle either. If we’re installing one of your products for the first time, prompt us to create this main directory for our samples. Later, if we decide to move stuff around (as many of us now need to), you allow us to make that change and then, because you already know where all our samples are stored, you simply copy them all to this new location. This is the kind of minimal but effective interface design users expect these days. You are not currently getting us there.

John, Olof, and others: you can fix this fairly easily. You know you can. All Toontrack needs is the real will to put your customer’s experience first.

Now is the time to fix this.

Please send this post to your CEO. If he’s still unwilling to fix this, then that is a message that all his customers need to hear.

Operating system: macOS Ventura (13)

Thanked by: Brian
    Kevin Mulvihill
    Participant

Alright, I don’t think I was rude in the earlier post but I can see that no one from the company has replied. Help us people. Please.

not_so_new
    Participant

I have this exact same problem.

My drive was filling up, I have 2x new 4TB drives that I am moving EVERYTHING over to.  Moving my Native Instruments and Spitfire libraries was so simple I can’t even describe it other than to say it took less than 10 mins to start moving over 3.5TB worth of samples.  Vienna Instruments was a lot harder but it was possible.  My Toontrack stuff on the other hand, it’s taken me a half day to read how to do this and it still doesn’t work.

On this thread, Toontrack keeps coming back to this link https://www.toontrack.com/faq/how-do-i-move-the-sounds-for-ezdrummer-2/ but that doesn’t work for me.  I don’t have any content in these folders and of course, the Product Manager app doesn’t provide any insight into where to find the installed sample directory on my computer and I don’t even know what files to search for in Windows Explorer.

To the Toontrack folks, your product SOUNDS excellent, I LOVE it.  Your ancillary software is not good, the Product Manager is basically useless and your directions in the FAQ are unhelpful.  If you keep hearing the same complaints from your customers over and over again you have two options.  You can do the right thing and fix the problem OR you can ignore the valid complaints from numerous customers and eventually, you will end up with such a bad reputation in the industry no one will purchase your products.

So instead of pointing me to a FAQ that doesn’t fix my (and most other people on this thread) issue, please let me know how to find the current sample location path if it is not in:

• MacHD/Library/Application Support/EZDrummer
    •  C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Toontrack\EZDrummer
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Toontrack\EZDrummer

Because I don’t have anything in either of the above Windows locations.  And then give us step-by-step directions on how to move these files to a new location (from the FAQ it sounds like we can just drag/drop that folder to a new location and everything will be fine but please confirm).

Thank you in advance

Operating system: Windows 10

Kevin Mulvihill
    Participant

I feel for you not-so. Definitely frustrating and completely unnecessary. Fortunately, there is a fix. Please click the link to my thread above. Shoot to the final entry from me where I sum up what I did. In this thread, there are 3 useful posts at the end before mine. 1 (from Brad) and 2 (from Olaf) are essentially the same but this worked for me. In the third thread, Olaf tells you where to go to tweak the config file. Wish you the best…

Operating system: macOS Ventura (13)
    normankrow
    Participant

there is no “small dropdown menu” there is one actually but it does not contain an option to choose path.  I get that there is a way to copy it later but my system drive is too small to be a temporary storage drive.  this thread is two years old has this bug not been fixed yet?  seems like it has to have been.  I do have a conversation with tech support going but I’d sure love to get this on my own.  thanks. Ron.  And one other thing,  I realize this thread relates to ez drummer and I’m on superior drummer 3.  Same problems?

• This post was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by normankrow.
    John

Hi normankrow,

I am not sure which post you are referring to but if you have a small system drive, be sure to start with going into the Preferences in the Product Manager app and change the ‘Downloads’ location to somewhere else where you have more space. This will set the location for downloaded installation files, which can be deleted after installation has succeeded, i.e. this is not a general location for libraries etc.

Next, if you are an SD3 user and are about to install an SDX sound library, pay attention while running the installer, since it will have an option for customising that library’s location. The software (plug-ins, app, configuration files, etc) should be installed to your system drive.

You can change the location for Toontrack MIDI and EZdrummer EZX libraries (should you install any of those) in the SD3 Settings > Libraries/Paths.
    Scroll down to ‘Additional paths’ and click the small drop-down menu to the right (hidden by the drop-down itself in my screen shot) to reveal the currently set location in the Finder/Explorer, so you can move it according to the instructions. Restart SD3 and Locate.SD3_Settings-Paths

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

normankrow
    Participant

thank you.  I followed your instructions.  to my surprise sd3 now opens.  I found the settings page but I see nothing called “additional paths”. I see add library path(s) but that is upper left.  when I click on the small dropdown menu in the row “user preset Path for all user presets: drums and mixer channel effects, etc. ”  (what I’m calling the small dropdown menu is three parallel horizontal lines with a down arrow just to the right of the middle one)  it looks like this screen shot.  I see that sd3 is on the system drive in the application support folder.  I don’t want to move this.  what I want to do is be able to instal the remaining (and already downloaded big files like room mics etc.)

I think I don’t fully understand this paragraph in you last post

“Scroll down to ‘Additional paths’ and click the small drop-down menu to the right (hidden by the drop-down itself in my screen shot) to reveal the currently set location in the Finder/Explorer, so you can move it according to the instructions. Restart SD3 and Locate.”

would you mind elaborating on this?  this assuming I am in the correct place

John

Hi,

I am sorry, I wrote ‘Additional paths’ instead of ‘Additional libraries’, which you can see to the lower left of my screen shot.
    You don’t need to relocate the Toontrack MIDI and EZX:s or the User Presets, they are very small in comparison to the SDX:s.

Superior SDX library installers have a ‘Customise’ option to let you install the SDX where you wish to have it installed. They can be installed in just about any location, even network drives (but the loading times are suboptimal). You do not need to have all your SDX:s installed in the same location or the same drive.
    You do have to have all parts of an SDX in the same place, though. I.e. you cannot have Parts 1 of the Core library installed in one location and then install other parts of it to another location. If you have Part 1 installed on your System drive and don’t have room for installing more Parts, you first relocate the ‘SL-SuperiorDrummer3’ folder by simply moving it in the Finder/Explorer, then you start SD3, go to the Settings>Libraries/Paths and point to this new location.
    Close SD3 and launch the PM to install the other Parts of the Core Library.

If you have any other SDX:s that are already installed, you can do the same; move them first to the new location, then launch SD3 and point to the new location. If you install new SDX:s, do not skip past the ‘Customise’ button if you wish to install directly to the desired location.

I hope this clarifies,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Viewing 9 replies - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.