Today only – 40% off 18 selected EZXs.*

Today only – 40% off 18
selected EZXs.

Today only – 40% off 18 selected EZXs.*

Modern Vintage or Tape Drums sounds

Studio Corner
Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • Rogjul
    Participant

Would like to see a saturation emulation plug-in as well as a reverb added to the SD effects

What I suggested here would do that and so much more : http://www.toontrack.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=127723

I know this idea won’t help for those who don’t own EZMIX , It really is agreat plug in value . I use it all the time for drums and almost anything

Romanp
    Participant

If you can use third party plug ins what is the point of asking Toontrack to supply saturation and reverb?

Rogjul
    Participant

If you can use third party plug ins what is the point of asking Toontrack to supply saturation and reverb?

I am not trying to have an argument at all here really , but EZMIX is not a third party . It’s made by Toontrack and the link I supplied with my post shows a feature request for them to upgrade superior drummer to include EXMIX into the mixer where we already have thier eq, compression etc.

and the other “point” would be the ability to add as much or as little as one would want to of thier own personal taste.

Juicy
    Participant

EZ mix is an EZ product
    SD2 is the higher end of their line.Putting EZ Mix in SD2 is Questionable .

I understand some people want “more” fx but at what actual cost/price point to your dedicated drum software ?
    Whats wrong with the way things are now ?
    It is fair that people want more because TT did put fx into SD2 in the first place.

I think a bit EQ and Compression is handy perhaps some convolution verb is good and some modulation FX for some people if you really need it out of the one program,some people want a druma mchine like programmer onboard
    I think they have a good balance .i also don’t believe TT will bolt on EZ Mix to SD3.
    What will they do,
    Ultimately it is their choice .

Romanp
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Rogjul

I am not trying to have an argument at all here really , but EZMIX is not a third party . It’s made by Toontrack and the link I supplied with my post shows a feature request for them to upgrade superior drummer to include EXMIX into the mixer where we already have thier eq, compression etc.

and the other “point” would be the ability to add as much or as little as one would want to of thier own personal taste.

I was responding to the OP fizbin requesting saturation and reverb in SD. I thought that was obvious.
    I’m not really interested in EZmix.
    I want to do my own mixing.
    Your other “point” doesn’t make sense to me. How does Toontrack including saturation and reverb differ to using third party plug ins?
    If we request every plug in that is already available in our DAWs then we open up the issues of which saturation plug in. Which reverb plug in. These are very important distinctions. People spend 1000s for quality plug ins because they sound better than cheap plug ins.

I want detailed, well recorded drum kits with heaps of mics. That seems to be exactly what Toontrack supply.
    Asking for every little feature that we can already use in our DAWs seems superfluous to me.
    It could potentially distract TT from the important stuff like recording more good drum kits. It could water down the product.

And why would we want a drum machine sequencer when that is available in your DAW as well.
    Roman.

Juicy
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Romanp
    And why would we want a drum machine sequencer when that is available in your DAW as well.
    Roman.

Yes i thought that first too,but many users out there,certain the old skool features in a drum machine some people want too,sure it would be great if our Daw would have those features,I think UltraBeat in Logic does.
    I think its the Roll and Momentary pad erase that one poster was speaking of,and coming from the 80’s too i guess i understand that flow.
    It would a part of Player pro more than SD2 i guess , but it is not my request anyway.

Romanp
    Participant

Toontrack create a very powerful drum sound module.
    We don’t need or want them to develope anything else. No plug ins, no sequencers.
    All that stuff is available in your DAW or third party plug ins.
    The fact they include sonalksis plug ins useful for drum ixing is a bonus.
    You could just buy these seperately if they weren’t.
    But it does add an essential drum mixing capability. But anything further like saturation etc. No we don’t need those included.
    I intend to use UAD EMT140 plate reverb plug in with drums.
    It is highly praised and has to be a classic sound.

Luckily our Swedish brothers are too smart to get sidetracked by internet chatter.
    Roman.

wagzisnotadrummer
    Participant

Well, the only thing I’m interested in, with regards to Superior Drummer, is getting more options (another SDX) similar to C&V. That’s why I started this thread. I could care less about putting reverb and other effects into Superior Drummer. Personally, I think that is part of the problem. People are always asking for more, more, more, when it comes to effects. Do you guys honestly think that Toontrack will invest the time and money to flatline SD 2 by bloating it with unnecessary effects like reverb and saturation? That will end up making SD more expensive and difficult to use. Toontrack, don’t do it! Don’t listen to these guys!

Listen to me!LOL. The SDX libraries are what you should focus on. Superior Drummer is your flagship, right? Well, continue to make it better by offering well recorded and engineered SDX’s. For instance, C&V …it is awesome! Please update it with more low-tuned snares. I want to continue on as a customer of Toontrack, so please, make more SDX libraries. I need punchy, fat, low-tuned, dry snare sounds. So, far I’ve only found what I want in C&V.

Roots sounded like a great idea, but all of the snares that I heard sound like the snare is tuned too high. I don’t want that. I don’t want built-in reverb. I don’t want more weak death metal drums and I don’t want 16 bit samples(EZ Drummer…I don’t even record in 16 bit. And yes, there is a difference between it and 24 bit).

This product is great, but it can go so much further than it has. Toontrack, simplify the process for working with X-drums and fix the bounce issues. The bigger issue, though, is tone. Just focus on getting the best tones you can from the actual drums, mics, and rooms you have available. Please don’t dumb-down the quality(16bit) and don’t muddy the waters with junk like reverb. Those are the only things you really need to work on, regarding the SD plugin. Speaking of tone, talk to Chris Whitten and the guys that recorded C&V, they have good ears.

http://soundcloud.com/blackdaddywarbuxxx

Juicy
    Participant

Seriously,
    Some “other” users are real E Drummers and do have genuine call for features in the SD2 box hosted by Solo not a Daw for live use.
    It’s easy for TT to add the Chamber/Plate Mic to all releases,they do it most of the time although yep i do not use it, just adds more for some “other”users if you care to understand. I like dryer sounds myself,Also like the Raw sounds of bleed and rooms like the old days of recording.

Some recent EZX’s like Metal Machine and Classic are excellent add ons for SD2 ,Ask Mr Whitten he stands by it even for use in our beloved SD2.

I argued years ago about 16 vs 24 bit and to releaseSDX and EZX at the same time (unlike the pattern that had emerged) but i was tamed in my outspoken ways, I trust TT, EZDrummer was the best software purchase i have ever made and probably will remain,
    why are you chattering,you want them to listen,thats cool they decide,they at least have this direct link for us.
    Nobody wants bloatware,
    everybody needs bang for their buck.

Guess SD3 will eventually roll around but i am happy with it as it stands.

Whitten
    Participant

EZX: The Classic has a lot more lower tuned snares.

wagzisnotadrummer
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Whitten

EZX: The Classic has a lot more lower tuned snares.

Chris, I am so tempted to buy “The Classic”. It think it sounds very good and I’d love to have a 4 mic setup in my colorbox and I really want more low-tuned snares. However, there are things that I feel are necessary for me right now that it doesn’t have. I absolutely need brushes and hot rods. As much as I’d hate to admit it, most of these tunes that I make just don’t rock. I’m talking laid-back finger-picking acoustic guitars and upright basses. I’m really shooting for quiet and intimate. “The Classic” is a sticks-only library. So, I don’t think that I’ll get what I’m after if it sounds like the drums are rockin in a big room while the rest of the “band” is in a small living room. The sticks are the main problem, though. If “The Classic” had all of the options that a SDX has(like rods and brushes) I would have already bought it. It sounds that good. Too bad it’s only an EZX when Roots is an SDX. I do not like Roots. Yeah, it’s got sticks, but it sounds like poo, in my opinion.

I keep asking for more drums in C&V because it’s really the style I feel fits what I do. And yes, it has great sounds, but once you start using brushes and rods you have very few options.

Juicy
    Participant

Wags,In what way does Roots sound like ‘poo” can you explain,

It’s not strictly Jazz,the room it was recorded in,even if used as O heads or the drummers shoulder perspective mic is able to be intimate.
    Thatis a very busy studio with the world knocking on the door just to get in.

Have you heard the Pearl Reference Snare tuned way down and dampened ?

wagzisnotadrummer
    Participant

juicy, I admit I may have been a little harsh, considering that I am judging the Roots SDX on the quality of the demos on the product page. I think what I don’t like about it are the snares. Roots seems to be filled up with thin, ringy, snares. Whatever’s going on in the demos…I don’t want that sound. The only tracks I liked were “Avant Drums” (reminded me of the drums from Beck’s “Paper Tiger” and “Pagentry”, but I think Pagentry may have more than one snare beefing up the sound. Maybe most of the snares here a high-pitched popcorn snares.

I remember when Roots came out. I had money to spend and I just knew I was gonna buy it!
    The concept sounded so nice. Then, I heard it…

I’m seriously starting to think maybe Toontrack should just do a low-tuned and damped snare drum expansion, or something.

I don’t know if I’ve heard the Pearl Reference Snare you mentioned. Can you point it out to me? It sounds like something I’d wanna use.

EDIT: I see it now. It’s in “Roots Brushes…”. If it’s not on the product demo pages, I probably haven’t heard it.

Juicy
    Participant

I don’t know why but only 1 snare was given for the Brushes and its a very open ringy pearl drum,sorry.
    The dampened deep snare is a Leedy 14×7 but only in Sticks, It is great to play on an E Kit.very realistic.
    I do love a tight punchy slap on brushes. that can be found on Music City Nashville but not Roots !!

Whitten
    Participant

The Classic does not sound like drums rockin’ in a big room, but yes, they aren’t completely dry and yes there are no brushes or rods.
    I think you would find it a useful addition if you could pick it up during one of those occasional sales. Wasn’t it just selling for $40?

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.