Whats the best Guitar Amp Simulator Plug-In

Studio Corner
Viewing 12 replies - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • sigod
    Participant

I’m with Vapourhead on this. I too own a similar suite (Eleven & Sans Amp) courtesy of my PTle rig of guitar plugins and while both are usable, I find that my PodXT still edges them both on tightness and the way it responds when I really dig into the strings.

Wide Awake At Midnight
    Windows 7 Ultimate (64 Bit)
    Pro Tools LE 8.0.3 (Digi 003 Rack)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor
    3GB DDR2 RAM
    nVidia GT9800 video card, 512MB RAM,
    Rubber duck which squeaks a little if you tread on it.

MouseClickDrummer
    Participant

ORIGINAL: John

I have been lucky to be able to acquire an Axe-FX. It outperforms every other plugin or Line6 amp sim I have tried.
    Hooked up to my Pro Tools setup, I can track a dry signal and then Insert the Axe-FX in FX loop.

I think John is right.  The logic of “you get what you pay for” seems to be the winner in the end.

Case in point: My access Virus synth – destroys any other soft synth that I own, because even though the VC is still RTAS – it relies on the Virus TI hardware to do the DSP – which use very high quality components of the most pristine and select elements –  so i guess the lesson learned is that there is a winning note that can always be said for good hardware as key in studios.  (This also explains why Pro Tools HD DSP processing cards are must haves for big studios which never would rely on anything else  do the DSP processing – only the HD cards.)

To further this point, I run both a Sony Vaio Laptop for one home studio running Pro Tools M-Powered and a Mac for my other home studio running Pro Tools LE (which is basically the same DAW software engine).  But both of the machines when running a soft-synth have a different sound – same soft synth.  The Mac sounds slightly better and a different character.  The Sony Vaio is also good but a bit dull in comparision for the same soft synth – same preset – but also it’s own unique character!  Its the components in the machines!  But if I were to have initially settled for some cheaper PC instead of the Vaio, then it would not sound anywhere near my Mac like the Vaio almost does because i know the Vaio’s are made with pretty decent components, and the Macs even better components. 

Now I understand why the craziest audiophiles insist that even the quality of a SPDIF or Optical cable matters – seems counter intuitive because its just digital 1’s and 0s – but you would be surprised.

I hope to one day be able to own a real pro studio with Pro Tools HD systems, but first I hope to be able to soon acquire the Axe FX that John and others have recommended in here. Apparently this is the “Virus” of all Guitar Modelers.

homey
    Participant

Hi, Ive been looking into the different amp sims lately and just found this thread so thought i’d ask your opinion about waves GTR. I saw it being offered now for 425 together with native power pack bundle. I would like to get better plugins anyway so this seems like a good deal but i’m wondering if i’m missing something.  Is GTR or the bundle not that good? It just seems kinda cheap for waves which i thought was expensive. I demoed GTR and liked it but maybe my ears aren’t as developed to know.

Mattias
    Forum Crew

Axe FX Ultra kills everything in my opinion!

Mattias Eklund - Toontrack
    Head Of Sound Design

MouseClickDrummer
    Participant

from the millions of reviews and research and specs and hype about this Axe FX,—   i am convinced and now have to consider selling an organ to acquire one.

Scott

i am convinced and now have to consider selling an organ to acquire one.

An arm, a leg, or a B3?

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

MouseClickDrummer
    Participant

well at least this thread has answered my question.

If only I would have known in 2007 before I spent my first penny on Guitar Rig 3 with the controller – the first in a series of all the plug-ins i listed.  Basically the equivalent monetary of the Axe – i already wasted on (literally) for all the other modelers.  and some are a hassle to try to sell second hand – not to mention heavily depreciated. 

If only this Fractal company had proper marketing.  I dont think they realize how much potential business they are losing out on due to insufficient marketing. 

VOLiTiAN
    Participant

ORIGINAL: sigod

I’m with Vapourhead on this. I too own a similar suite (Eleven & Sans Amp) courtesy of my PTle rig of guitar plugins and while both are usable, I find that my PodXT still edges them both on tightness and the way it responds when I really dig into the strings.

Man you need to ditch the plugins, the hardware Sansamp is *leagues* beyond the pod…

David @ VOLiTiAN

www.myspace.com/VOLiTiAN www.soundclick.com/VOLiTiAN www.reverbnation.com/VOLiTiAN www.soundcloud.com/VOLiTiAN

VOLiTiAN
    Participant

ORIGINAL: FarBeyond

If only this Fractal company had proper marketing.  I dont think they realize how much potential business they are losing out on due to insufficient marketing. 

Sorry for dragging up the thread from the dead, but I thought that the marketing line was v.funny, Fractal Audio have a min 2-3 month waiting list due to the fact they can’t keep up with demand, it’s ironic they have had to do no marketing, the public and youtube videos have done it all for them – genius

David @ VOLiTiAN

www.myspace.com/VOLiTiAN www.soundclick.com/VOLiTiAN www.reverbnation.com/VOLiTiAN www.soundcloud.com/VOLiTiAN

VOLiTiAN
    Participant

ORIGINAL: FarBeyond

Peavey Revalver –  the first real tube amp company to make an amp simulator software.  The claim of 99% accurate tube amp modeling is definetly valid – but then again – modeling peavey amps does not say too much.  With that being said, this is the most intricate tweakable amp sim where you can even go into the guts of the amp to tweak the values of resistors. Unfortunately the manual does not tell you what each component does but the peavey staff has forwarded me to some great articles that show what to tweak for different types of sounds.   As it turned out – you can easily modify any of the peavery heads into almost any sound you crave and almost any pro tone – but not any tone.  But its too much work.  And most of the cabs sound awful.  Only a couple of cab-speaker mic variations are pleasant to the ear – but they are not inter matchable..   the many other speaker, cab, mic options are simply unacceptable in this day and age.  With that said Peavey revalver still receives an 8/10.

I think it’s also worth mentioning that you can still get the original Alien Connections Revalver 2 which a lot of people widely regard as better, more organic and a touch less fiddly than it’s successor…. and revalver 4 is on the way now….

David @ VOLiTiAN

p.s. you forgot to mention the slayer plugin, classic POS 🙂

MouseClickDrummer
    Participant

uhh, yeah.. i dont think so.,

ok so i finally put in the hard work to make serious payments to my credit institution to show them I can be serious , and they finally give me a bit more credit – and today was supposed to be the day i was supposed to have the Ultra.  So I go to the Fractal site and it says the unit is unavailable.

I waited so long and worked hard for this day, started celebrating, now I feel like hanging myself.

And there is none on ebay either.   This is a nightmare because nobody else on this planet needs this unit as badly as I do.  FU^%#%$!!

MouseClickDrummer
    Participant

Ok so I finally got the Axe FX.  Solid industry standard amp modeling, but does anyone find the multi-effects a bit weak?

I dont know…  i mean, perfect capability in this unit to copy all my favorite tones, but for the heavy fx-ed presets, it just sounds a bit thin.  Especially when many effects are used (and existing multi-fx presets).

I dont think they put a whole lot of effort into the engine of effects.   I still think in the end I need an eventide for that part.  

Any opinions on this matter?  Because even going through a rosetta, the effects, while having a sort of 50s piece of gear sound to them… i think they need to be bigger… maybe they were just going for some kind of washed out analog sound…  nothing wrong with that but i need bigger FX..

Viewing 12 replies - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.