Four amazing deals,
this weekend only!

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Whats the best Guitar Amp Simulator Plug-In

Studio Corner
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Robshi
    Participant

I have both gitar rig (only version 2) and a lot of the amplitube 2 products. Personally I find the amplitube ones seem to breath more wheras the gitar rig ones sound more processed. Just my ears mind you..others may vary but I love the amplitube stuff and you can get a foot controller for it.

Rob

Har Maes
    Participant

Just to offer an alternative:

I’ve used different plugins (Amplitube/GuitarRig) but have recently bought a POD X3 Live. Advantage is that you can use the device or the POD Farm software that you can download.
    If you compare the prices of a POD X3 and the software you’re mentioning than I’d consider the hardware. Most plugins hug the CPU and use a lot of computing power. Biggest advantage is you can record a clean signal and later during mixing can change presets to get the final sounds. With POD you can have both; using patches on the POD X3 and recording the wavs from it; or use POD Farm when recording a clean signal.

Good luck!

Intel i7 5820K - ASRock X99 Extreme4/3.1 - NVidia GTX660 - 64Gb Vengeance DDR4-2133 RAM - RME Fireface 400 - 64-1024 - 48KHz - Fractal Audio Axe Fx III - Windows 10 Pro 64-bits - Cubase 10 Pro - http://www.harrymaes.com

Dingo
    Participant

I allways find my self using one of these…

[*]Guitar Rig 3 : Great sounding audio engine, the guitars fit right into the mix nicely with the presets that come with it. Pleanty of FX and endles routing options.

[*]Amplitube 2 (With all the expansions) : IMHO The best, most natrual sounding amp simulator. It has a really deep rich sound with pleanty of dynamic range. Which most other amp modeling software lacks. It’s Ideal everything! However, I was never totally sold by the FX that come with it. Also, not as many routing options.

http://www.Ikmultimedia.com (download the demo software and have a play!)

[*]Waves GTR – Great soundinding but a little thin to my ears. However, Waves GTR by FAR has the best sounding FX out of all of them. You can make some really awesome organic synth sounds and some really cool delay, chours FX. Also has pleanty of routing options.

So the results are:

[*]Amplitube[*]Waves GTR[*]Guitar Rig

Regards, Marcus.

John

You might also want to check this out:
    http://www.overloud.com/en/products/index.php?catid=49

Eleven/SansAmp/PodXT user myself

Best Regards,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

VAPORHEAD
    Participant

When not using real amps I use the Podxt for guitars and SansAmp for bass mostly. I have Eleven as well, but for my personal taste it doesn’t sound as much like the real thing as the Pod. All in all though, it’s really about personal taste. I would download as many demos as you can, try them all out and see which ones suit your taste.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=18727184

Dingo
    Participant

Yeah POD XT is deffo the best of the bunch. Id like the Rack 😀

Regards, Marcus.

MouseClickDrummer
    Participant

tried everything suggested here…  not happy at all with such sims, i mean, listen to an album like Reinventing the Steel, or Obsolete… thats some really accurate distortion…

and i agree with G-rig 3 sounding a bit too processed, same with sansamp.  i think revalver might be my last attempt

MouseClickDrummer
    Participant

tried all the POD stuff… distortion is too soft and in the lower B to A to G tunings it loses tightness

Har Maes
    Participant

You might best try a real amp?

Intel i7 5820K - ASRock X99 Extreme4/3.1 - NVidia GTX660 - 64Gb Vengeance DDR4-2133 RAM - RME Fireface 400 - 64-1024 - 48KHz - Fractal Audio Axe Fx III - Windows 10 Pro 64-bits - Cubase 10 Pro - http://www.harrymaes.com

xturbox
    Participant

try Nick Crow 8505. it is free, but so far very good. The only thing you also need some good cab simulator like nebula2 or KeFir with impulses.

Coryd
    Participant

Axe Fx Ultra gets my vote

S2.3 NY Vol 2/Music City/Metal Foundry/Evil Drums/dfh Superior Claustrophobic/Electronic/Twisted Kit/Metal Machine

Scott
    Participant

One of my favorite Sims is http://www.peavey.com/products/revalver/index.cfm <–(click the link)
    Peavey now owns the software ….
    I dig this one, though … very much.

-Mac Studio (2023)–  Apple M2 Max
    -macOS Ventura Version 13.6
    -Logic Pro 10.7.9 
    -64 GB Ram 
    -Universal Audio Apollo 8 (UAD2 DUO) – max sample rate supported: 192
    -typical buffer /  typical sample rate:  128 / 44.1
    -External drives:
    *SanDisk  2TB USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A/Type-C Portable SSD  
    *Glyph 3TB HD w/  USB-C/3.0/2.0 Compatibility
    *OWC 2TB Aura P12 Pro NVME M.2 SSD housed in OWC Express 4-slot 4M2 M.2 NVME Thunderbolt 3 ports
    -Midi Controllers:  M-Audio Keystation 88, Novation 61SL

Andromalius
    Participant

I currently record using a line 6 UX8, I’m not a pro but enjoy the multiple inputs so I don’t spend my time plugging and unplugging stuff since I have a vocal mike, a keyboard, bass and guitar permanently plugged in.
    I therefore got Podfarm Platinum for “free” and it is very good. It is lacking a bit for extreme metal dropped tones in my opinion, but is very, very good up until D tuning. You can have dual channel amping which is very nice. Coupled with a cheap but efficient DAW like reaper, You have a recording solution for guitar/bass/voice/Keyboard that is not too expensive and doesn’t give professional results…but almost. I’m likely not good enough that it would make a difference anyway.

kstevege
    Participant

Just wondering whether anyone here uses UAD Nigel as guitar amp and if so how they like it.

- Steve

Scott Distelhurst
    Participant

I think Guitar rig has the best routing options for recording. It only sounds processed if you’re using the presets. Just like a real amp, you have to know what you’re doing and how to tweak the amps according to what guitar you’re using. Too many people think you can just plug into an amp/simulator and it will either sound good or not. Just because one guy writes a preset that sounds KILLER with his guitar and playing style doesn’t mean it will translate to someone elses. You really need to become familiar with amp tweaking and your own playing style to get a good sound form anything, be it real or modeled. (IMHO)

I own the Pod XT, Guitar rig, Amplitube, etc. I keep going back to Guitar Rig because it has SO many options and effects, and you can’t beat the drag and drop routing. It also has various modulators for attaching to effect params so you can create some really interesting morphing sounds. You can even do a pseudo Duck Delay with the input envelope by attaching it to the delay input and setting it to turn the input DOWN when you play and up when you stop. Really cool!.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.