Updating multiple products – Feature Request

Product Manager
Viewing 12 replies - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • drumjack52
    Participant

The impression I get from this thread is that Toontrack doesn’t care about what their users need. Face it – we are being ignored on this issue.

Operating system: macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Jack
    aka musicman691 on other forums
    PT 2021.6
    OSX 10.13.6
    3.46 GHz hex core 2012 MacPro 48 gig ram
    Samples on 2 TB ssd on a PCIE card

Thanked by: Nigel Watson
    gearnerd
    Participant

I hope they are secretly working on it and releasing it some day. I think technically it’s not that hard for them to implement, especially the midi stuff is easy (copying one folder to another). Other audio companies have been pushing product managers as the only way of installing their software. Maybe some people will be angry when Toontrack does the same, but I think most people will be very happy if they did.

I think it’s feasable for them to support bulk and individual installs going forward. Right now the product manager is a glorified download manager that interfaces with the toontrack website for most of it’s functionality. They probably need to de-couple the Product manager from the website to allow functionality like bulk-install and bulk-update because they shouldn’t be downloading the same installer files as from the website. What do I mean by that? The installer’s contain a payload and a piece of software that installs the payload. The product manager needs to encompass that piece of software that installs the payload. It only needs to download the payload (for multiple products) and install it. All the payloads will have a manifest file that explains to the installer what it is and where it needs to put it. For individual products on the website, it’s just a universal installer for 1 product with the payload bundled.

marco.wartmann
    Participant

It’s really annoying. Do your work.

Operating system: macOS Sonoma (14)
    Nigel Watson
    Participant

“Other audio companies have been pushing product managers as the only way of installing their software.”

Well Toontrack actually do have a product manager – it just has crappy functionality which does not make life easy for users with multiple products when updating.

WAKE UP TOONTRACK PLEASE!!

Ottor
    Participant

Agreed… This is absolutely ridiculous… yet another perfect example of software developers that don’t actually use the product or test it in a real world scenario… How in the world do they not have an “Install all” option?!?!?!

Thanked by: Nigel Watson
    Nigel Watson
    Participant

I did contact support and told them about this thread which has received zero input or response from Toontrack;  this was the reply:

“Thanks for your email.

We will forward the forum to our home office for consideration in future updates. It is a feature we all want, in a long list of features that may/or may not be in development. Unfortunately, support does not get a heads up to development paths and features Posting on the forums and forwarding to the home office are the best options. ”

…to which I replied “Ok-thank you!! I do think however that making the Product Manager better for users should be a priority for the developers.”

• This post was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Nigel Watson.
    Darryl Brooks
    Participant

Yes, I am in agony with 140 products to redo on my new machine. Really need a better system Toontrack. My other stuff is all 1 button for all updates and downloads. This is stone age crap in the 21st century.

Operating system: Windows 11
    Sean McCloskey
    Participant

Add me to the list of pained users.  I have 206 products in total between applications, add-ons and midi packs and I need to move them from my current PC to a new one.

Even before I attempt to install on a new PC, I need to individually de-authorize every application and add-on.   I delete the installers to clear up space, so if I needed to remove all the EZK, EZD, SDX, etc… for each program, I would need to re-download the installer to remove them, because only the main apps can be uninstalled via add/remove programs in Windows.  Fortunately I’m planning to wipe this PC, so the authorizations are really the only thing I need to manage on the old one.

But once I get that done, I still need to download every installer one by one on my new PC, run through each installation program one by one, 206 times…  Ironically, the only thing you don’t need do individually is authorize, because you can “authorize all,” but the MIDI packs don’t require that in the first place.  The MIDI packs being the biggest time sink for individual installation and updates.  You spend more time going through the prompts and clicking buttons than actually downloading or transferring the data.

ToonTrack products are the only ones where it requires this level of micromanagement and it’s very disappointing when you consider the sheer volume of programs that you have to manage individually.  The installers for Native Instruments / Izotope are far easier to use.  If I wasn’t so in love with Super Drummer, EZBass and EZKeys, I would abandon them on principle due to the effort to manage them.

Darryl Brooks
    Participant

After 3 days of sitting in front of my computer doing all the steps to download and install my 140 products, I wonder if it would be feasible to clone the SSD that these were installed on (nothing else on it at the moment) and if I need to repeat a complete reinstall just plug in the clone drive. Might still have to re-authorize but that would still be less time to do.  206 individual download/installs! I feel ya!

drumjack52
    Participant

After 3 days of sitting in front of my computer doing all the steps to download and install my 140 products, I wonder if it would be feasible to clone the SSD that these were installed on (nothing else on it at the moment) and if I need to repeat a complete reinstall just plug in the clone drive. Might still have to re-authorize but that would still be less time to do.  206 individual download/installs! I feel ya!

Don’t know about Windows machines but for Macs that’s possible especially if the stuff is not on the system drive. Get a good cloning program. I have clones of everything – system drive, samples drive and sessions drive. Good as a safety thing.

Jack
    aka musicman691 on other forums
    PT 2021.6
    OSX 10.13.6
    3.46 GHz hex core 2012 MacPro 48 gig ram
    Samples on 2 TB ssd on a PCIE card

Darryl Brooks
    Participant

Don’t know about Windows machines but for Macs that’s possible especially if the stuff is not on the system drive. Get a good cloning program. I have clones of everything – system drive, samples drive and sessions drive. Good as a safety thing.

Thanks for the reply. I think since I haven’t put anything else on this drive (internal SSD), I will give it a shot. It would be so worth it to me.

versuswhat
    Participant

Yes, this is something we definitely want to implement/improve.

happy two-year anniversary to this! Any closer to implementation?

Operating system: macOS Ventura (13)

Thanked by: Marcin
Viewing 12 replies - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.