SD3 hi hat settings

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Paul McAllister
    Participant

Did you ever find a solution to this issue? I’m facing the same problems with my TD12/VH11.

Cheers

taylan ezer
    Participant

I am using VH-13 and have the same problem^^

The only thing that is driving me nuts.

John

Hi guys, the most obvious reason for getting unnatural response from the HH is that you are not triggering the hatsTrig note(s) but the individual articulations.

Are you using one of the MIDI Presets in MIDI In/ E-drum settings?

Please check that you are sending smooth CC messages from your module.

BR,

John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

laszlozoltan
    Participant

I think I solved that Hi-Hat issue with SD3 and my DTX700.

On the module after hitting the hi-hat to help ensure we are addressing the settings are for the hi-hat

Select MENU- then KIT page, scroll over to PAD (press the module’s ENTER button)

the window should show “HiHat” in the upper right corner of the screen

you are on page 1 of 3

“PadCtrlType   off”

use the module ENTER button to scroll down to page 2

Set “HH Func” to “MIDI”

HH MIDI Ch 10

HH MIDI Type CC04

I stored the setting and ta-da the Hi-Hat Pedal calibration window mirrored my foot pressure on the HiHat.

I hope this helps

(I found this info in the pdf DTX700 Reference Manual pg 30)

Thanked by: jes1000000, Henrik and John
    Andrew Payne
    Participant

Thanks for that Note. I am having problems with smooth transition from closed to open on my DTX900 Hi Hat and see many references to people with Yamaha Hi Hat RHH135 having similar issues in SD3. As yet I have not seen a conclusive answer on how to fix this in SD3 with the DTX Hi Hat

With your settings above using HH Func to MIDI, are you getting a nice smooth transition closed to open – similar to what you get with the DTX module running as stand alone (no SD3). The stand alone Hi Hat is quite smooth in transition.

I love SD3 but he smoothness of the Yamaha Hi Hat in SD3 is not good and a source of frustration.

If you confirm it is all OK I will try what you have suggested.

As another question, has anyone at Toontrack actually connected the Yamaha RHH135 Hi Hat to confirm exactly how it behaves in SD3 and what is the best way to get a smooth closed/open transition ? Thanks

Dell Precision 7730, i7 6 Core 2.6 GHz, 128GB RAM, 1TB SSD and 3 x 2TB SSD, Cubase Pro 13, SD3 plus a variety of SDX's and EZX's, Orchestral Percussion, EZBASS, RME BabyFace Pro FS and KRK V4 monitors. Modified Yamaha DTX900 triggering SD3.

laszlozoltan
    Participant

I cant say that the transition is smooth in sd3…part of the issue is I had only had my dtx700 for about 2 months, sd3 about 1 month and after figuring this hi-hat setting and all the other settings in sd3 and ezd2, I kinda put those two vsts on the back-burner going back to 2 other ones I am more familiar with because wasting so much vacation time on that vst (sd3) was bumming me out. I bought it to play with it and enjoy it-but the issues werent worth the cost to me in terms of time lost. In sd3 after hihat calibration I was able to observe different open levels whilst tapping on the hh and foot pedal- not smooth, it seems based on measured opening velocity as reported in the midi monitor. It is possible there exists a specific function or code in the module setting that defines what level of hh open is midi signaled to the vst, but I had not ventured any further investigation into the dtx pdf since my “discovery” as I reported here. Doubtless, if I do and solve it I will certainly post it here for everyones benefit- but regretfully, with my sincere apologies to you and others, at this time I am afraid to say it is not yet worth my time. I am a joe-blow truck driver, not some guru.

Considering the expense we pay to use, and the benefit both companies (Yamaha/Toontracks) may gain by communicating with each other towards a proper solution, that is to say, specific settings for the module/vst to enable that smooth hh transition- I will voice my opinion that they should stand behind their product and not “crowd-source” a developers (their own) job.

Regards

Laz

jes1000000
    Participant

Greetings. After I posted my query I found this one.  The HH settings in the DTX-700 drum module do nothing to solve the problem on my end.  Anyone found any other fixes?  Thanks.

mikearon1970
    Participant

I have the same issue… I use TD-25, and the hi-hat will register as open often when it’s closed… here’s the real issue:  when I go into the editor in SD3 afterward, and include the closed note, it won’t recognize it… apparently there may be a fix in a MIDI editor, but WHY is SD3 not recognizing the closed hi-hat note consistently in its editor?  Major glitch

olibc
    Participant

Hi,

A DTX700 with RHH135 user here. Same issues, not smooth hi hat transition in different VSTs. I’ve tried different solutions posted here to no avail. But I have realized CC values change a lot when hitting the pad. The HH pad has pressure detection at the bottom so when hitting the pad you are modifyng de CC values unintentionally. This leads to “jumpy” CC values SD just receives and plays. In my case with Yamaha I think the module is filtering some CC values when played in standalone but sending raw CC vaules via MIDI output.

My solution, not perfect but I did not found any better, is to place a cymbal felt washer at the bottom of the pad (see image rhh135). This washer cushions the hits on the pad so CC values stay more constant.

As said not perfect but better than before, especially when nothing else works.

Best regards.

• This post was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by olibc.

Thanked by: laszlozoltan
    laszlozoltan
    Participant

Thanks for helping to find a solution. I found the felt to interfere with closed-hh midi output register- I felt I needed to too firmly press down on the hh pedal to achieve the closed sound, and maintaining it was as distraction while trying to focus on other elements of playing. Besides with vsts, there’s only open/closed variations of 3 notes to be tagged, so, transitions are rather limited in that regard with the rhh135.

It seems my satisfaction/frustration as often depends on my mood at the time.  I’ve resolved to waste less time tinkering and just deal with whatever results I have. This is not to imply I have given up altogether, I am still looking forward to the eureka moment.

Thanks again.

jdubzzz
    Participant

I have a vh13 with a td30 and SD3.  The hats work nicely straight out of the roland brain, but have issues transitioning smoothly from closed to open.  In addition, when I lift my foot to a mid-open position and play a standard 8th note groove, the hats seem get clipped to cut off.  Again, this doesn’t happen using the Roland.  Issues are only with superior drummer 3.

I went through the calibration steps and tried the default setting.  SOOO frustrating to spend the time and money and have something that cannot be used reliably.

jdubzzz
    Participant

Any suggestions from toontrack folks?

gunmetalgrey91
    Participant

I have a Yamaha DTXtreme III (pretty old school I know, but updated the firmware so it’s pretty much a DTX900) with a RHH135 Hihat pad and I’m experiencing the same issue that’s been reported here (and in a couple of other threads too). After some testing of the module sounds vs SD3, I think this might not be a bug in SD3 – but that we need a new feature.

The Hihat open/close works from continuous data on CC4 (if I’m not mistaken!). Even though the raw data is the same (and is being transmitted just fine into SD3), the behaviour of the sounds from inside of the drum module don’t have the issue with open hi-hat sounds being cut off, and the tightest closed sound being the only closed sound trigger-able. This is only a problem in SD3. Others have highlighted this in the previous comments too. If Toontrack are expecting the hihat openness to be based entirely on the raw data from CC4, then this would be the expected behaviour – hence why we’re being directed to solve the problem in our drum modules.

With the data on CC4 being the same, but the problem not being present in the module, it leads me to believe there is some kind of compensation for the compression of the hi hat when it’s struck with a stick inside the logic of the drum modules, but not in SD3. Like a kind of “noise-cancellation” that counteracts the effect of the stick on the hihat controller value. That would explain why the sounds are cut off in SD3 as the open hi hat is compressed shortly after being struck – you can also see this happening by watching the MidiIn/Edrums > Hihat page in SD3 and striking the hi hat. @Toontrack, could we request this feature for a future version of Superior Drummer (hopefully a minor version in SD3 :D) – ideally there’d be presets for the major hi hat pads (Roland, Yamaha, ATV, 2Box etc.).

In the meantime, I found a workaround for this… Kind of…

Adjusting settings in the module didn’t really do anything, as CC4 is behaving as expected after all – transmitting the raw hihat controller data just fine. I set the hihat controller steps on the Hihat page as shown in the screenshot below, so as not to be playing as many of the intermediary hihat closed-open sounds. I also think this is why SD2 might not have shown this issue up as much – the more intermediary steps, the more that the compression effect on the hihat pad would be manifested in the sound. So long as you keep the gaps between the steps large as shown below, I think you could probably move the steps around to get the sounds you wanted (e.g. moving each point up the replace the one above it, stacking steps at the top as well as at the bottom).

P.S. my first post in this forum! Hope it’s a helpful one! #forumnoob

gunmetalgrey91
    Participant

I don’t know if people are still reading this thread, but there are now additional settings in the Hi Hat section of Superior Drummer 3 (since 3.2.7 I think). I haven’t tested them yet, but the Openness transition and the Hi-Hat Splash Sensitivity look good!

Lanky04
    Participant

Hello. I’m using the TD-11 Module. I’m having the same issue. The Hi-hats are registering as close even if I have my foot off of the pedal. What do I do??

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.