SD3 hi hat settings

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Kelly DeLay
    Participant

Repeating what others have said here, I have a TD-25 module with SD3, using a VH-11 hi/hat. I have tried “Roland” “Generic” profiles in MIDI in/E-Drums Settings, changed the response curves. I cant get the CLOSED sound at all. Read through this thread, nothing is working for me. My TD-25 works perfectly. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Olof Westman
    Forum Crew

> Any suggestions? Thanks.

If you want support you should post in the support forum.
    https://www.toontrack.com/forum/superior-drummer-3-help/

Olof Westman - Toontrack
    Coder

rrosin
    Participant

@Kelly DeLay said:
    Repeating what others have said here, I have a TD-25 module with SD3, using a VH-11 hi/hat. I have tried “Roland” “Generic” profiles in MIDI in/E-Drums Settings, changed the response curves. I cant get the CLOSED sound at all. Read through this thread, nothing is working for me. My TD-25 works perfectly. Any suggestions? Thanks.  

SD3 doesn’t use the MIDI notes to detect whether the HiHat is played open (26/46) or closed (22/42) but uses the value of the CC Channel of the HiHat controller. I use the VH-11 with a TD-15 module which is sending CC-values of 0..90 where SD3 expects values from 0..127 – so the HiHat is never recognized as “closed”.

You must adjust the CC curve in the MIDI mapping to fix this. It’s more a problem of the drum module than of SD3.

Regards Reiner

Kelly DeLay
    Participant

@rrosin said:

SD3 doesn’t use the MIDI notes to detect whether the HiHat is played open (26/46) or closed (22/42) but uses the value of the CC Channel of the HiHat controller. I use the VH-11 with a TD-15 module which is sending CC-values of 0..90 where SD3 expects values from 0..127 – so the HiHat is never recognized as “closed”.

You must adjust the CC curve in the MIDI mapping to fix this. It’s more a problem of the drum module than of SD3.

Regards Reiner  

Thanks for this Reiner! Appreciate the help.

jorgo stefani
    Participant

rrosin said
    I use the VH-11 with a TD-15 module which is sending CC-values of 0..90 where SD3 expects values from 0..127 – so the HiHat is never recognized as “closed”.
    Here are my SD3 Settings for a VH-11HH that work near flawless (with proper setup in the module):
    HH-PedalControl:
    Openness5
    Value: 5
    Openness4
    Value: 18
    Openness3
    Value: 37
    Openness2
    Value: 56
    Openness1
    Value: 75
    Closed
    Value: 85
    Tight

Kim
    Participant

Thanks for the info.
    I also use the VH11 but with my TD12.
    I’m still having trouble getting that ‘tight’ closed sound so I will try this however, I’ve noticed since the most recent SD3 update that I’m able to get a better response from the slider settings for the HiHat in SD3. I picked ‘more closed’ which did not work at all before but seems to be working now, however, still can’t get the really tight closed edge sound . What I’m doing if I want that tight sound is just to use the tight tip in the centre of the HiHat which is fine, I just have to change my technique a bit

Kim
    aka: drumrgal Cool

jorgo stefani
    Participant

hi all.
    here an update for the settings (Roland VH-11)…
    HH-PedalControl
    Openness6
    Openness5
    Value: 15
    Openness4
    Value: 32
    Openness3
    Value: 48
    Openness2
    Value: 62
    Openness1
    closed
    Tight
    If u cannot trigger the tight samples, check the incoming midi cc values (my are 0-90)
    so i trigger between 90 and 85 the tight samples.

Mark Grace
    Participant

Alll well and good, but it does not help those of us with the Yamaha DTX900…

SDX2 worked much better!!

Henrik
    Participant

@Mark Grace said:
    SDX2 worked much better!!  

Do you know of anything in particular that SD2 does different here than SD3?
    We have tried to make SD3 able to do the stuff SD2 could, regarding e-kits, and also add more features…

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

rrosin
    Participant

@Mark Grace said:

Why not? Is the DTX900 using a totally different approach for dealing with the hi hat? If you are not able to configure the settings yourself you could start by posting the raw MIDI data your module is sending. This can help you much more than just complaining.

Regards Reiner

Mark Grace
    Participant

@rrosin said:

@Mark Grace said:

Why not? Is the DTX900 using a totally different approach for dealing with the hi hat? If you are not able to configure the settings yourself you could start by posting the raw MIDI data your module is sending. This can help you much more than just complaining.

Regards Reiner  

Mr. Reiner,
    I DID post a lengthy report in a similar thread in this very forum, detailing the alterations and changes made to both the DTX900 module’s programming, as well as SD3’s mapping settings.

In searching for that thread, it appears to have been removed.
    I searched on my drummaman moniker, as well as SD3 hi-hat variables, and my detailed post is nowhere to be found.

This is a similar thread, and providing feedback to Toontrack in the form of “something’s just not quite right” should be noted.

I would very much like someone at Toontrack to hook up a DTX900 module with the RHH135 hi-hat.
    The default for the Yamaha eDrum preset setting in SD2 either got lucky, or there is something different in SD3’s Yamaha hi-hat/mapping preset.

As mentioned in my other post –
    In charting the Yamaha’s CC4 data, via Sonar’s midi controller screen, I see a full range of motion from 0-127.

I have adjusted any and all DTX trigger/velocity response curves, SD3’s mapping curves, as well as went as far as turning off the internal polyphonic mode of the DTX900 module…yet I am still getting an out-of-place open, when I should still be getting a semi-open hat splash.

There is honestly something different in SD3 from SD2, with regard to the hi-hat functionality – when used with the Yamaha DTX900 and RHH135.

The preset for the Yamaha hi-hat in SD3 wasn’t even close out of the box compared to SD2.
    With a substantial amount of tweaking in SD3, I have it very close.

The Roland adjustments shown in this thread do not help with the Yamaha system, and I was hoping to see another Yamaha DTX900 user chime in.

I truly love everything else about SD3.

Highest and kindest regards,
    MG

Hi, I’d like to echo what Mark is saying. I’m a Yamaha DTX950 owner and have spent 3 days (count ’em) trying to get my RHH135 hi hat to trigger a smooth hi hat transition from fully closed to fully open by using the Yamaha preset in SD3 and tweaking the various parameters available in both the DTX Module and the SD3 software. It’s driving me nuts. Would any of the Toontrack team be able to rig up a RHH135 controller on a hi hat stand to see if they can solve this issue please? Merry Christmas to all BTW.

Mark Grace
    Participant

@Mat Anderson said:
    Hi, I’d like to echo what Mark is saying. I’m a Yamaha DTX950 owner and have spent 3 days (count ’em) trying to get my RHH135 hi hat to trigger a smooth hi hat transition from fully closed to fully open by using the Yamaha preset in SD3 and tweaking the various parameters available in both the DTX Module and the SD3 software. It’s driving me nuts. Would any of the Toontrack team be able to rig up a RHH135 controller on a hi hat stand to see if they can solve this issue please? Merry Christmas to all BTW.  

Thank you for chiming in Mat!
    I was starting to think I’m the last human with a DTX900/950!

By chance, did you have SD2 with the DTX900?
    And did the hi-hat/edrum presets seem to work better out-of-the-box with SD2?

I’m just curious if you experienced the same difference.
    Thanks!

Happy New Year Year All!!

david anderson
    Participant

@joste said:
    hi all.
    here an update for the settings (Roland VH-11)…
    HH-PedalControl
    Openness6
    Openness5
    Value: 15
    Openness4
    Value: 32
    Openness3
    Value: 48
    Openness2
    Value: 62
    Openness1
    closed
    Tight
    If u cannot trigger the tight samples, check the incoming midi cc values (my are 0-90)
    so i trigger between 90 and 85 the tight samples.  

This helped a bit. I’m still getting false triggering while keeping time on the HH while playing on the ride cymbal. Its almost a HH foot splash along with an extra closed edge hit, this does not happen every note but enough to make me cringe. I played it live for the first time last night with some great feedback from the sound guy, just the HiHat to fix.

B Sandy
    Participant

My problem is that the sample triggering is so discontiguous.
    If you do a roll on the hi-hat and increasingly lift the pedal you can so clearly hear the change in samples for openness. It sounds ridiculous and the TD12’s own HH triggering sounds infinitely better.

There doesn’t seem to be any cross-fading of the sample – there’s no smooth blending from one sample to the next, plus there only seems to be one HH voice, so if you do a roll on the hi-hat, each sample is cut off by the next one, which sounds ridiculous too.

Seems incredible for what’s otherwise such a fantastic instrument.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.