Four amazing deals,
this weekend only!

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Midi Editor Length Problem

Studio Corner
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Whitten
    Participant

No, I can’t quite understand what you are talking about to be honest.
    Do you mean you draw in extra notes in a section of groove (in the piano roll window), like an extra hi-hat note or snare skip?
    In my experience with PT, it usually doesn’t resize a region unless a new event touches the end of the bar, or crosses the bar.
    Could you explain in more detail what you are trying to do, how you are doing it, and what Pro Tools is doing as a result?
    It does sound like a PT issue to me by the way.

John

If the meter is other than 4/4 or 2/4, Pro Tools “pads” the Region with empty space at the end.
    A few hosts does this but a simple Trim of the Region end fixes it or simply drop the following groove/Region over the last empty Bar.

Best Regards,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

dave20018675
    Participant

Usually I am just trying to add an extra bass drum note to a groove or something like that. As John mentioned–this often causes the shaded region (the groove in the midi editor) to suddenly be “padded” with extra length. So, when you try to line up the next groove copy the one you just edited–you wind up with “dead space” at the end of the groove. This means that lining up each subsequent pattern requires going into Slip Mode in ProTools and manually lining up the patterns in time. John mentioned just cutting the end of the pattern, but I’m not sure that it’s that simple, because to add the beat in the first place you already have to be in Slip Mode–which makes simply cutting the end of the groove more complicated than it sounds. Thanks for responding. Am I missing something?

John

Slip Mode? I never use anything else than Grid Mode (usually set to Bars) when dragging groove Regions, to make it as easy and correct as possible.

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Platinum Samples
    Participant

If the note you add is being placed with too much length, switch to Slip Mode or adjust the grid settings in Pro Tools to a shorter grid. If the note extends the end of the MIDI region beyond the length of the Groove’s loop… switch the track to display MIDI Regions and either truncate to the Grid using the S shortcut or use the Trimmer Tool.

Rail

Professionally Recorded Multitrack Drum Samples
    http://tinyurl.com/26k2xjo
    www.platinumsamples.com

Whitten
    Participant

ORIGINAL: dave20018675
    I’m not sure that it’s that simple, because to add the beat in the first place you already have to be in Slip Mode–

Well one of Pro Tools weaknesses is midi.
    When you watch Pro Tools experts at work they are using a lot of shortcut keys. In reality I think you often need to employ Absolute Grid mode, Relative Grid mode and Slip mode all at once.
    Also, the grid resolution has an effect, if you are in 1/4 note grid you can’t work in smaller increments, 64th note grid gives you a lot more leeway.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.