Kiss Shock me drumsound

Studio Corner
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • dthgtr
    Participant

Is Avatar the only sound library you have?

Later.

2004 Fender American Stratocaster Marshall MG 250 Digitech GNX4 Guitar Workstation Novation Impuse 49 Scarlett 8i6 Presonus Eris 5 monitors Sonar X3 Pro Win7 HP 64 Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Intel i5 3470(3rd gen) 3.2GHz 16GB RAM (2)1TBHDD

Nickster
    Participant

No i´ve got alliere, hit factory and c&v.
    I use c&v the most.
    I always seem to get a dull flat sound no matter how much i tweak 🙂

Platinum Samples
    Participant

Check these out: https://www.platinumsamples.com/JoeBarresi.html

(Tracked to tape)

Rail

Professionally Recorded Multitrack Drum Samples
    http://tinyurl.com/26k2xjo
    www.platinumsamples.com

Evan Sobel
    Participant

i love that album and that drum sound…im always looking for it too. tape’s a big part of it

macbook pro 2.4 GHz intel core i7 - OS 10.7.3 8gb ram, sample libraries on external HD's DP 7.24 SD 2.21, with Custom Vintage and Metal Foundry packs

Nickster
    Participant

Thanks. I will try to add some tape-simulator to the drumtracks 🙂
    But i dont think i will get that heavy, clear drumsound

dthgtr
    Participant

The closest information I could find was at Peter Criss’ web site where he answers fans questions about his drums and drumming.
    One of the questions was about the snare on Love Gun.

He said it was a Pearl marching snare but he did not remember the dimensions.

So,if you could find out what sizes pearl marching snares came in (in the late ’70s), or if someone knows the information, you might be able to narrow it down to what you have available to at least emulate it.

If I come across more info I’ll relay it.

LOL.

2004 Fender American Stratocaster Marshall MG 250 Digitech GNX4 Guitar Workstation Novation Impuse 49 Scarlett 8i6 Presonus Eris 5 monitors Sonar X3 Pro Win7 HP 64 Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Intel i5 3470(3rd gen) 3.2GHz 16GB RAM (2)1TBHDD

Nickster
    Participant

Thank you very much!!! 🙂

dthgtr
    Participant

Are you using groove clips or are you using e-drums,MIDI triggering,etc…?

Later.

dthgtr
    Participant

I don’t know if this is what you are looking for but I was playing around and came up with this set up.
    Avatar is the only sound libray we have in common so that is what I used.

I tried it out with a wide variety of groove clips.

Later.

Nickster
    Participant

Im using edrums. Yamaha dtexpress2.
    Thank you very much!! I will try your preset

dthgtr
    Participant

I am curious as to whether or not that is in the direction you were looking for.

I asked about grooves or e-drums because with the grooves using EZ Player Pro you can isolate the individual kit pieces and layer them.
    I have edited several grooves where I liked the snare pattern but it wasn’t pronounced. So, on at least one of them I layered the snare 4x and it really beefed up the sound,making a huge difference.

I do not play drums let alone e-drums,so I have no idea on how to tweek it for e-drums.Check out the e-drum section,I’m quite sure there are others going for that sound.

Later.

Nickster
    Participant

Thanks for the tip about layers.
    I dont know if its possible to do that using edrums.
    But i dublicated the midi drumtrack so one had a full kit with camco toms ,camco kick and ludwig black beauty 1920s snare.
    The other kit had only a kick and a snare. I used slingerland 70s snare from hit factory and 18×22 gms from avatar.
    I added some tape simulator (jb ferox) too.
    Its starting to sound a little better i think 🙂

dthgtr
    Participant

Yeah,the layering is for groove clips as far as I am aware.

It is difficult to match any instrument from decades ago.
    We are listening to a professionally mixed and mastered renderings so unless you have the exact specs (instruments,rooms,eq,comp,etc…) and procedures start to finish, we can then only mimic or emulate them.

I do not know how familiar you are with King Crimson. On the 1974 album “Red”,the song “One More Red Nightmare” has this extremely brash,crass cymbal.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSTifrv9pqk
    A drummer friend of mine years ago told it was a pang,then later it became a china.
    On Bill Brufords website he gives the details of exactly what it was http://www.billbruford.com/faq.php#18 .

After reading his response you can see the difficulty I am having recreating it.
    I played around with the spock in DKFH and there are some cymbals in Twisted kit that I have played around with but as of yet I have not quite captured exactly what I am looking for,but I am in the ball park.
    Eventually,I will come across a reasonable facsimile that I can be content using.

Endeavor to persevere (sorry,The Outlaw Josey Wales was on today).

Later.

Nickster
    Participant

Sounds pretty cool.
    Never heard them before.
    Maybe you can put a mic infron of a metalsheet our something and hit it with something 🙂

I understand that i will never get that particular sound on the drums.
    The sound im getting is a kind of cardboard box sound. Dull and flat.
    The demos for superior 2.0 c&v etc sounds pretty good but the presets doesn´t sound like the demos at all.
    They must have done alot of processing outside of superior.
    Is there anys good plugin effect that really can make the drums sound good?
    Im no good at mixing but i hear when it dosent sound right 🙂

dthgtr
    Participant

If I am not mistaken the demos are done with the mixer in Superior,but I could be wrong.

Also,what are you using for monitoring?
    If I am just playing around editing grooves,I just use the computer speakers because I am not looking for sound,just patterns.
    When I am looking for sound ,I use my headphones through my MIDI keyboard(can’t afford nearfields yet).The difference between the two are night and day.
    It would be the same using nearfields,as it would be mixing in a state of the art professional studio.The end results would sound different.

Someone more expierienced will need to offer advice on brightening up a dull and flat mix.

Later.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.