Up to 20% off all individual MIDI packs for drums, EZkeys and EZbass!*

Up to 20% off all individual MIDI packs for drums, EZkeys and EZbass!*

Up to 20% off all individual MIDI packs for drums, EZkeys and EZbass!*

Kick drum sounds above 100Hz in EZ drummer

Studio Corner
Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • armansrsa
    Participant

No reply. Is this question in the wrong forum?

JamesColah
    Participant

Hi armansrsa,

First I must apologise because I don’t like to download files from websites I’m not familiar with and more importantly from people I don’t know so have not listened to that particular kick drum sound however I’m sure you know that you can simply right click on any kit piece and select ‘Import Audio File’ so you can use any file from your library or the internet. I’m sure (like me) you must have thousands of kick drum samples which you could audition and hopefully find one that you like?

Hope this helps?

Kind regards

James Colah

https://www.jamescolahproductions.com

armansrsa
    Participant

Hi armansrsa,

First I must apologise because I don’t like to download files from websites I’m not familiar with and more importantly from people I don’t know so have not listened to that particular kick drum sound however I’m sure you know that you can simply right click on any kit piece and select ‘Import Audio File’ so you can use any file from your library or the internet. I’m sure (like me) you must have thousands of kick drum samples which you could audition and hopefully find one that you like?

Hope this helps?

Kind regards

James Colah

Thanks for the reply. I know I can download kick samples but I want to use EZ drummer. That is why I purchased it. There must be something available in some of the EZ kits that where kick drums are higher. I mean what happens if the bass plays in the lower octave? This is very common. Are you suppose to EQ the life out a kick drum just to make it sit?

• This post was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by armansrsa.
    JamesColah
    Participant

Hi again armansrsa,

Sorry but I’m confused by your reply when you say ‘you want to use EZ drummer’?

I mentioned in my previous reply that you simply right click on your EZ drummer kick drum and select ‘Import Audio File’ where you can find and use any kick drum sample you like. Your full groove will then play back using the new sample you selected as your kick drum sound! It’s a way of simply replacing the original kick sound you don’t like!

Does that now make sense or have I misunderstood your reply?

Have a nice day and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards

James Colah

PS. 99.9% of the time the kick drums frequency is lower than the bass so can’t see why you’re having a problem?

• This post was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by JamesColah.
    armansrsa
    Participant

Hi James. Many times (NOT 99% of the time like you say) the kick drum sound sits above the bassline allowing the sub frequencies to be taken by the bass guitar. This is somewhat genre specific but it is not a rare case like you say. If you know about music production you should know that certain songs have the bass playing the lower octave.   The sample I posted which you did not want to open is a case in point. It is from a U2 song called “In a little while”. The producer of the song knows that the bassline is playing in the lower octave and that is why the kick drum sound sits higher up. Music productions often call for this and since EZ drummer is supposed to be a production tool it should offer drum kits and presets that cater for that production call. Now,  telling me to get a sample and stick it in to an organic sounding drum kit, it becomes clear to me that you obviously produce music that is more artificial sounding where you would happily take a kick drum and stick it into an acoustic drum set. I dont do that and if I wanted that  I wouldnt need to use EZ drummer in the first place.. The whole point of EZ drummer is that you have acoustic recorded drums with a plethora of expansion kits offering production alternatives. I can’t believe that none of them would cater for a production in which the kick would sit “above” the bass as in that U2 song.  Do you actually work for EZ drummer?

Bear-Faced Cow
    Participant

Now that you listed the song itself, I had a listen to it (I also refuse to use such a download service… there are better ways). Your assumptions regarding kick and bass are misapplied in the case of this song. The entire drums are being run through a high pass filter for a more old-school rhythm machine effect. It has nothing to do with bass being lower. You can accomplish this in any DAW with almost any classic rock type of kit with the ambient channels lowered.

However let’s address some things:

Many times (NOT 99% of the time like you say) the kick drum sound sits above the bassline allowing the sub frequencies to be taken by the bass guitar. This is somewhat genre specific but it is not a rare case like you say. If you know about music production you should know that certain songs have the bass playing the lower octave.

Not true for the classic rock genre, which U2 mainly falls in. The lower frequencies of the kick are present. However, you are more likely to hear the transient of the beater before the bass giving the illusion that the kick is in the upper frequencies. Bass guitar also sits more in the lo-mid area.

Music productions often call for this and since EZ drummer is supposed to be a production tool it should offer drum kits and presets that cater for that production call.

EZ Drummer is a low footprint tool that provides mix-ready drums. Presets will handle most situations, but in cases like this, you will need to do your own production to get the particular sound you are looking for. SD3 is more a production tool.

The whole point of EZ drummer is that you have acoustic recorded drums with a plethora of expansion kits offering production alternatives. I can’t believe that none of them would cater for a production in which the kick would sit “above” the bass as in that U2 song.

EZ Drummer is doing what it should. The various expansions are done by serious well known producers in their genre. Unless Toontrack brought in U2’s producer and did an EZX based on them, you are not likely to see anything in regards to them. Not to mention, in the case of that U2 song, those drums are not processed naturally. That doesn’t fall on Toontrack or the producers of the expansions. Find a dry kit and run it through a DAW’s high-pass EQ.

jord

Jordan L. Chilcott

Web Site: https://jordanchilcottmusic.com/

armansrsa
    Participant

You can accomplish this in any DAW

Can you show me this? Do what you say and post a clip if you are so sure about that.

Find a dry kit and run it through a DAW’s high-pass EQ.

Again ,please share, it should be easy enough since you have a DAW and HPF.

• This post was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by armansrsa.
    Bear-Faced Cow
    Participant

This is DAW, Mxing and Ear Training 101. Grab an EQ plug-in and see for yourself.

jord

Jordan L. Chilcott

armansrsa
    Participant

I did! It sounds very artificial. and most of all very amateur. In case you didn’t spot that, I was challenging you to back up your claim by providing a sample.

you are right, it is DAW 101 which is why I can’t understand anyone would want to EQ a poor drum kit like that.

Bear-Faced Cow
    Participant

I did! It sounds very artificial. and most of all very amateur.

Nothing about the drums in that U2 song is natural. You need to experiment, just as the engineers did. It’s not a one and done. That’s part of what separates the pros from amateurs. Also, listening to something by itself is a lot different than listening to something in the context of a mix. Some of the most amazing mixes sound like garbage when solo’d.

In case you didn’t spot that, I was challenging you to back up your claim by providing a sample

And in case you didn’t spot this, I don’t have anything to prove to you. If you believe I haven’t any experience mixing drums, that’s your choice to dismiss me as some “heretic”. However, if you are misguided into believing that I am going to do something because you “challenge” me because of it, you will discover things don’t work that way.

you are right, it is DAW 101 which is why I can’t understand anyone would want to EQ a poor drum kit like that.

Because it serves the song. That’s what it is all about… the song. You are going to discover that many drum mixes are done in various ways, with the majority of them being unusual. If you believe EQ’ing a drum kit like that is unusual, just wait until we discuss distortion or the nuke mode of an 1176 compressor. Now, there is real magic.

jord

Jordan L. Chilcott

Zombien
    Participant

I did! It sounds very artificial. and most of all very amateur.

Nothing about the drums in that U2 song is natural. You need to experiment, just as the engineers did. It’s not a one and done. That’s part of what separates the pros from amateurs. Also, listening to something by itself is a lot different than listening to something in the context of a mix. Some of the most amazing mixes sound like garbage when solo’d.

In case you didn’t spot that, I was challenging you to back up your claim by providing a sample

And in case you didn’t spot this, I don’t have anything to prove to you. If you believe I haven’t any experience mixing drums, that’s your choice to dismiss me as some “heretic”. However, if you are misguided into believing that I am going to do something because you “challenge” me because of it, you will discover things don’t work that way.

Because it serves the song. That’s what it is all about… the song. You are going to discover that many drum mixes are done in various ways, with the majority of them being unusual. If you believe EQ’ing a drum kit like that is unusual, just wait until we discuss distortion or the nuke mode of an 1176 compressor. Now, there is real magic.

jord

https://www.toontrack.com/forums/topic/kick-drum-sounds-above-100hz-in-ez-drummer/bloxorz

I have nothing to say with this analysis. Give +1

Bear-Faced Cow
    Participant

And I have nothing to say with this attempted malware link, except REPORTED!

jord

Jordan L. Chilcott

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.