Four amazing deals,
this weekend only!

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Is layering grooves possible?

Studio Corner
Viewing 9 replies - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • bwalzmusic
    Participant

thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

Ben

Ralone
    Participant

I’ve been researching this and haven’t found a solution other than doing it all outside of EZD. I don’t understand why EZD will only play the highlighted track. What is the value of a track that can’t be played?

If have the main drums on track one and then added a second track with tamborine and a third with the shaker, why won’t EZD not play all three tracks within the one instance of EZD? I am forced to add another instance of EZD in the DAW and then move the grooves to the DAW track.

Am I missing something?

David George
    Participant

I use EZD2 and Pro Tools Studio.

>>>I am forced to add another instance of EZD in the DAW and then move the grooves to the DAW track.

I’m not clear as to why this is an issue. I always have at least two instances of EZD in every session. I’ll create the basic track in, say Vintage Rock, then open another instance, say Latin, copy the MIDI to that instance and edit it in the DAW. I find that it’s a great way to work because I get different distinct kits.

• This post was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by David George.
    Ralone
    Participant

I don’t think it’s an issue as much as it seems unnecessary since there is a separate track in EZD that should just “play.” But only the selected track will play.

If you are using the Latin Percussion library you can’t even have different instruments playing in that one instance. You have to add a new instance of EZD to the DAW for every percussion instrument. At that point dragging midi to the DAW is pointless. Just leave it in instances 15 of ESD. It appears very inefficient to me.

Yes, adding more and more instances of EZD in the DAW does allow for more flexibility but that’s not always of any benefit. Some times you just want the 5 tracks in the one instances to play. That also allows you to edit any track while you get the swing the way you want without having to pull the midi back in, change the track and drag is back to the DAW track.

• The post has been modified 6 times, last modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Ralone.
    David George
    Participant

Your view, my view. I really like having multiple instances because it gives me greater flexibility with individual tracks in each kit.

>You have to add a new instance of EZD to the DAW for every percussion instrument.

Not clear what you mean. You need a separate instance for separate kits, which I always prefer.

• This post was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by David George.
    Ralone
    Participant

If I am using Latin Percussion, I can create a track for each instrument. But I can only play them all if I move the MIDI outside the VST to the DAW. That seems unnecessary. I know I can’t get EZD to play different kits at the same time (potential note conflict) and totally expect to have a main drum instance AND a percussion instance in the DAW. No biggie. That’s my SOP.

But not being able to play the tambourine, shaker, timbales, congas, etc. tracks at the same time within EZD makes no sense. I get it, it won’t work. Got it. My assumption is the software architecture won’t allow a change to make this work. I just wanted to confirm it won’t work and I wasn’t doing something wrong. It won’t work. Got it.

So, yeah, I drag the MIDI for each one out to a track in the DAW and then point it back to EZD. If I need to edit the track, I go back into EZD, change it and drag that into the DAW. If EZD would just play those tracks it would remove some inefficiencies. I do agree that it’s my job to not have conflicting sound generators across the tracks. Sending Latin Percussion MIDI to Drum Kits from Hell just sounds weird! LOL.

• This post was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Ralone.
    David George
    Participant

I don’t understand why you have a separate EZD track for each instrument.

I will create a track using, say Vintage Rock, in EZD, save it, and drag the midi into my DAW.

Then I will open the same track in EZD and switch to Latin Percussion. I make whatever changes I can within EZD, them drag that midi into a 2nd track in my DAW.

I now have a rock track and a Latin track and I edit those further within the DAW.

Ralone
    Participant

I only start that way to make development easier. I end with just one or two depending on the instruments. Those steps could eliminated if EZD would just play the tracks.

But my question is answered and I thanks everyone!

• This post was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Ralone.
    Bear-Faced Cow
    Participant

The tracks are meant to serve as alternate arrangements, as noted in the manual.

I am also questioning you workflow, considering that the instruments you mentioned have their own groove lanes and can be easily comped in using groove parts or through the use of the edit play styles feature on one region. All things considered you Are not entering individual kit pieces on their own track. The only reason you should need a DAW is to sync both your drum kit and percussion instances, especially if you are editing within EZD3.

jord

Jordan L. Chilcott

Web Site: https://jordanchilcottmusic.com/

Viewing 9 replies - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.