Is layering grooves possible?

Studio Corner
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • David George
    Participant

I use EZD 2 (not Superior), but I accomplish exactly what you describe (and I use Latin EDX too) by using multiple kits. I’m working on something right now that uses a vintage kit for the primary drums and then a Latin kit for percussion. I don’t think adding the shaker in the MIDI track of another kit would work because the note assignments would be different (shaker in Latin EDX might be something completely different in another kit). Hope this helps!

David George
    Participant

To illustrate what I meant, C#2 in Latin EDX is shaker. In EZD2 Vintage that’s a crash. Again, I don’t know if this correlates to Superior.

Zachary Samel
    Participant

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I was actually just about to post about this. Anytime I’m using the Tracks function in Superior 3, I try to drag one midi groove on top of another and the new midi groove deletes the old one. It’s a bit frustrating for creative purposes. I’ve tried adding a second track in Superior 3, but I can only A/B the ideas instead of getting Track 1 to play with Track 2 simultaneously. I’m trying to involve Superior in my workflow but it’s proving to be difficult.

David George
    Participant

Why don’t just just add your S3 Track 2 as a separate track (or tracks if you use multichannel) in your DAW?

Henrik
    Participant

@blakeheart said:
    Noob question, but is the best way to do this to insert the groove, and then go to the edit midi grid and move those grooves on the correct instrument line?

You can right click the groove in the Grooves tab and select “Copy”, then right click a block on the song track and select Paste. In that sub menu you can select if you want to paste only one or all parts that you copied.

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

Jeffrey Pierce
    Participant

I have been trying to figure this out also as I Just purchased Latin Percussion to go with my EZ Drummer3 and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to layer drums with percussion and it really should not be this difficult. I am really frustrated as I have been trying to figure it out for like four days to no avail. I have watched like 20 videos on you tube that say they are going to explain how to do it but none of them do.

Scott

I have been trying to figure this out also as I Just purchased Latin Percussion to go with my EZ Drummer3 and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to layer drums with percussion and it really should not be this difficult. I am really frustrated as I have been trying to figure it out for like four days to no avail. I have watched like 20 videos on you tube that say they are going to explain how to do it but none of them do.

Please see my reply to your other post.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

bwalzmusic
    Participant

Hello,

was anyone ever able to get a resolution to layering grooves in EZ3? If so could you share with me?

Thanks!

Ben

Bear-Faced Cow
    Participant

Please be more specific. Layering grooves is as easy as using groove parts, replace MIDI or copy/paste as per Henrik’s post above.

jord

Jordan L. Chilcott

Web Site: https://jordanchilcottmusic.com/

bwalzmusic
    Participant

Thanks for replying,

let me provide an example :

I have my main drum track on track one. I would like to layer a Latin percussion conga track over the main drum track groove. Currently, it only allows me to have one type of drum kit per track. if I add the Latin percussion to a second track I can only play one track at a time- not both. I need them to play simultaneously. As of right now it makes me pick one track or the other.

hope that helps. I realize I could totally be missing something easy.

regards,

Ben

David George
    Participant

I use EZD2 and Pro Tools Studio. I always have multiple kits: usually a rock kit, a Latin kit, and a hip-hop kit.

These are all on separate track groups in PT.

Not clear what the issue is you’re having, but this has always worked out great for me.

Scott

Thanks for replying,

let me provide an example :

I have my main drum track on track one. I would like to layer a Latin percussion conga track over the main drum track groove. Currently, it only allows me to have one type of drum kit per track. if I add the Latin percussion to a second track I can only play one track at a time- not both. I need them to play simultaneously. As of right now it makes me pick one track or the other.

hope that helps. I realize I could totally be missing something easy.

regards,

Ben

You’ll need to use 2 separate instances in your DAW. One for a drum kit and one for the Latin Percussion EZX.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

David George
    Participant

Exactly–I’ve been doing that for years and find it’s a great workflow.

bwalzmusic
    Participant

I think the issue is I’m trying to do this all in ez drummer3 without having to use the DAW. I have logic but was trying to just do it without having to open the project in logic.

Bear-Faced Cow
    Participant

Far easier to do this in Logic. You can also save it as a template and use it for various songwriting needs.

jord

Jordan L. Chilcott

Web Site: https://jordanchilcottmusic.com/

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.