How Specific Can CD Credits Be?

Studio Corner
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • dthgtr
    Participant

I would presume it is always better to be safe than sorry and get a signed proper legal release form.

Company names and their products are copyrighted and trademarked.Nine out of ten may not be bothered,but that one may cause you more problems than it is worth.CYA!
    Getting it notarized probably isn’t a bad idea either.

Some educational books,for example, have disclaimers that the published work there in can be quoted up to a certain point without permission.

Later.

2004 Fender American Stratocaster Marshall MG 250 Digitech GNX4 Guitar Workstation Novation Impuse 49 Scarlett 8i6 Presonus Eris 5 monitors Sonar X3 Pro Win7 HP 64 Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Intel i5 3470(3rd gen) 3.2GHz 16GB RAM (2)1TBHDD

Whitten
    Participant

Usually manufacturers are very happy for a credit.
    Better safe than sorry to ask I guess.

Rogue

Toontrack certainly has no problem with crediting without extra decorum, although if you intend to use logos I would encourage you to source them from our press site and don’t alter them besides proportional resizing – use the contact form to request them.

I think most companies will be fine with crediting although some insist that their trademarks be acknowledged. I can’t see anyone causing you trouble as far as you don’t imply the work is endorsed or otherwise suggest an affiliation that does not exist though.

Rogue Marechal - Toontrack
    Configuration Manager

jbraner
    Participant

I always thought companies gave free amps/software/drum sticks etc to the artist in return for endorsements on their CD covers. I would have thought most companies would be pleased to have a “free” endorsement – unless the music was full of swear words, or in bad taste etc. 😉

John Braner
    http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
    and all the major streaming/download sites.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Reaper 7 x64 (latest version), Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, AMD Ryzen 3950x, 32GB RAM, MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi mobo (not using wifi though), NVIDIA GEForce GT710 video card, MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface

Rogue

hum, these days it’s more the opposite… if it carries a ‘parental advisory’ sticker it means ‘home with the downies’ as we say in Britain (I watched the Dylan Moran sketch just yesterday, hence the reference, no offense intended).

I’m certainly not sure I’d like Toontrack being credited on a Susan Boyle CD 😉

Configuration Manager

Gary Stephens
    Participant

Makes sense. Most of the replies I am getting say the makers will be happy to have the “free” credit. I’ll be careful not to imply any kind of connection or affiliation. Some replies say to simply put that stuff on the web site, as most people who have a cd are not musicians and they wont give a hoot.

One point was that nobody is going to buy my cd because I used Reaper……but they might buy Reaper because my cd sounds ok. So who is really doing who the favor here…..

Music is the universal language! Let's communicate!

GORILLA
    Participant

99.999999999% would have no problems. If you’re not endorsed and want to give a shout out to their company? They’ll be more than happy. It’s FREE advertisement! I did it for one company at a old website, and they dug it so much. I got a free amp! I wouldn’t even worry about it.
    BUT………….. do it in text form without asking, and DONT use their Logo without permission. And definitely don’t customize their trademarked Logo!! That’s a BIG no no that will get you deeper than you know if they want to.

Rogue!! That Susan Boyle thing would be great!! ToonTrack could say…” From Meshuggah to Susan Boyle! Our drums do it all!” Hahahahaha

http://www.metalmusicians.net/<- click here for GORILLA'S website!!!!!

Rogue

… I think we should get Susan and Fredrik in a room to jam tunes on a toast, see what happens 😉

Configuration Manager

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.