How many computers can I put SD3 on ?

Superior Drummer 3 Pre-sales
Viewing 12 replies - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Scott

Hey there. I have a similar question. I have my main computer at home where I use SD3 nearly everyday and I’m planning to install it on my other computer at the rehearsal space/studio that I share with my band. My only concern is whether or not we can run both at once. A potential scenario would be I’m at home working on material while our guitar player is at the studio mixing at the same time. I would love to keep our drum tracks within SD3 for mixing. Is this possible?

Its possible. However, it is against the license agreement. The license is for a single user to install on 2 machines provided that the installs are not used at the same time.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Thanked by: Ian Prince
    dbmusic1
    Participant

Under the license agreement you you can have 4 authorizations but only 2 authorized at any once and then only 1 in use at one time. It sounds like you want 3 authorized at one time yes? If you only want 2 authorized at once then, yes, 1 license is ok. If you want 3 authorized at once, you need 2 licenses.

Scott, I have a more detailed question on this subject:
    I run Cubase and Protools simultaneously on two machines.
    So I couldnt have SD3 open on both systems at the same time?
    Is that correct?
    Now that wouldn’t be much of a problem.
    It would become a major problem though, if I would need to deinstall SD3 on one of the machines, as soon as I want to use Cubase and Protools at the same time, which I do 24/7.
    So this is my exact question:
    If I install SD3 both on Protools AND Cubase, but only have an SD3 instance open on ONE of these DAW’s, will the DAWs allow to be opened, or will they rant about missing authorisation?
    This is actually a dealbreaker for me, before I buy SD3.
    Thanks for clarification.
    Regards,
    David.
    PS: I am aware this is an unusual workflow, but it has its reasons, the HDX card of Protools being one of them.
    Anyways, this is my setup and it works for me. I am aware of license probs involved, not too bad though.

Scott

Under the license agreement you you can have 4 authorizations but only 2 authorized at any once and then only 1 in use at one time. It sounds like you want 3 authorized at one time yes? If you only want 2 authorized at once then, yes, 1 license is ok. If you want 3 authorized at once, you need 2 licenses.

Scott, I have a more detailed question on this subject:
    I run Cubase and Protools simultaneously on two machines.
    So I couldnt have SD3 open on both systems at the same time?
    Is that correct?
    Now that wouldn’t be much of a problem.
    It would become a major problem though, if I would need to deinstall SD3 on one of the machines, as soon as I want to use Cubase and Protools at the same time, which I do 24/7.
    So this is my exact question:
    If I install SD3 both on Protools AND Cubase, but only have an SD3 instance open on ONE of these DAW’s, will the DAWs allow to be opened, or will they rant about missing authorisation?
    This is actually a dealbreaker for me, before I buy SD3.
    Thanks for clarification.
    Regards,
    David.
    PS: I am aware this is an unusual workflow, but it has its reasons, the HDX card of Protools being one of them.
    Anyways, this is my setup and it works for me. I am aware of license probs involved, not too bad though.

The bottom line is “one user”. If “YOU” are using S3 on 2 computers at once then that’s fine. The User agreement is a single user and my reply above was concerning a user “sharing” between his computer and the band’s computer which is more than a single user.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

dbmusic1
    Participant

So if I read you correctly, I can do this – and wont get any error messages, even in case I DO have SD3 instances open on both machines at the same time (which is unlikely, but it just might happen, for instance when I load something that I have programmed in Cubase into Protools, once I have finished the Midi)
    I usually do all my midi programming in Cubase, but will assemble everything in Protools for overdubbing live instruments and mixdown.
    So this is green light?

Scott

So if I read you correctly, I can do this – and wont get any error messages, even in case I DO have SD3 instances open on both machines at the same time (which is unlikely, but it just might happen, for instance when I load something that I have programmed in Cubase into Protools, once I have finished the Midi)
    I usually do all my midi programming in Cubase, but will assemble everything in Protools for overdubbing live instruments and mixdown.
    So this is green light?

Yes. No error messages with the 2 computers.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

dbmusic1
    Participant

Hello Scott,So I purchased SD3.
    Didnt get far though with installing.
    The Download manager wont open.
    I cant find any compatibility charts, so I dont even know if my systems are compatible,
    FYI, my computers are running Mac OS 10,14
    Cant seem to see any older versions of the DM anyways.
    So at a loss here.
    Must be said, this is the first I encounter something like this (I own 100s if not 1000s of 3rd party ware)
    Waves tend to give similar problems, but they are well documented and usually solvable.
    This time I dont know where to start.
    Please advise.
    Regards,
    David.

Scott

Hello Scott,So I purchased SD3.
    Didnt get far though with installing.
    The Download manager wont open.
    I cant find any compatibility charts, so I dont even know if my systems are compatible,
    FYI, my computers are running Mac OS 10,14
    Cant seem to see any older versions of the DM anyways.
    So at a loss here.
    Must be said, this is the first I encounter something like this (I own 100s if not 1000s of 3rd party ware)
    Waves tend to give similar problems, but they are well documented and usually solvable.
    This time I dont know where to start.
    Please advise.
    Regards,
    David.

Sorry. I’m afraid I can’t be any help on the Mac side of things. I’d recommend contacting Toontrack directly via the Contact Support button in the FAQ below. Or one of the other mac savvy tech may chime in here.

https://www.toontrack.com/faq/how-do-i-contact-support/

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Leguman
    Participant

Hello,

I read the entire topic and I have one question.

Can I download with the same license a version for Windows and another for MacOs ?

Thanx for the reply.

Scott

Hello,

I read the entire topic and I have one question.

Can I download with the same license a version for Windows and another for MacOs ?

Thanx for the reply.

Yes. Install the Toontrack Product Manager on each computer. Install accordingly.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Thanked by: Leguman
    ccurry007
    Participant

This thread has revived a few times, so hoping it’s still receiving attention. Further up the thread the question came up about having to download content again to get SD3 working on additional computers. For me with 3 DAW’s and a collection of expansions this can turn into a multi day effort. I didn’t whine that I had to buy 2 licenses for everything (like has been mentioned above, Native Instruments and many others allow 3). But more importantly every single one of my sample libraries allows downloading once, copying to additional licensed DAW’s and pointing to the libraries. Call this a feature request. When you get up into hundreds of gb’s, repeatedly downloading isn’t a functional strategy.

DrummerDrew1332
    Participant

Hello all,

I’m looking for help with a license question. I currently own EZ Drummer 3 and am looking to upgrade to Superior Drummer 3. If I purchase the upgrade and grab SD3, is that a separate license from EZ Drummer? I have a home pc, a laptop for travel and another separate pc that stays in my studio space. I’m wondering if I could install Superior on 2 of those and then EZ on the third and have them all work? I would be using Superior at home and in the studio and then EZ on my laptop for gigs with my e-kit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Scott

Hello all,

I’m looking for help with a license question. I currently own EZ Drummer 3 and am looking to upgrade to Superior Drummer 3. If I purchase the upgrade and grab SD3, is that a separate license from EZ Drummer? I have a home pc, a laptop for travel and another separate pc that stays in my studio space. I’m wondering if I could install Superior on 2 of those and then EZ on the third and have them all work? I would be using Superior at home and in the studio and then EZ on my laptop for gigs with my e-kit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Each are their own product so both can be authorized on 2 systems each.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Thanked by: DrummerDrew1332
Viewing 12 replies - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.