For 60’s rock drums…

Studio Corner
Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • jgro002
    Participant

The closest would surely be C&V. From memory, the only older rock stuff that TMF has is a Bonham-style kit and a KISS-syle kit. Other than that, TMF very much has ‘a sound’ (due to the tuning used) and it would certainly be far from the Beatles in my opinion. Others will tell you that TMF can be used for all sorts of musical styles, but C&V would have you closer to begin with.

Then, using C&V, you could be creative in the way you mix the drums in order to get more of that Beatles vibe – such as panning the kit to one side and using less of the mics.

Jeremy.

iMac 3.06 GHz 4 GB OSX 10.6.5, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Logic Pro 9.1.3, Lacie D2 Quadra

Thanked by: v00d00ppl
    Scott

I would think that the Ludwig Keystone kit in C&V would get you in the ballpark.

I would also try using the 9×13″ and the 16×16″ Gretsch Roundbadge (damped) toms for more of a Ringo vibe.

For a most authentic kit, try to only use 1-18″, 1-20″ cymbals and hats. Maybe the 18″ McCartney Tour Ride and a 20″ Medium Thin Crash – 1960s.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Whitten
    Participant

The earlier Beatles drums were higher pitched and ringy.
    I haven’t heard it, but the Jazz EZX might cover that sonic territory.
    Nothing exactly like that in C&V.
    Certainly for a cheaper option the Vintage Rock EZX has a later Beatles sound, thick Ludwig.
    The Gretsch kit in C&V, plus the damped Slingerland toms cover the deader final period Beatles sound.

Scott

Here’s my take of a 60’s-ish Beatles sound (maybe late 60s).

It uses the Ludwig Keystone kit from C&V, Gretsch Roundbadge (damped) toms, and the 18″ McCartney Tour Ride and a 20″ Medium Thin Crash – 1960s an 13″ hats.

No processing except for an EZmix Mastering preset on the 2 bus.

BTW, the MIDI isn’t very Beatle-like but it’s classic rock-y

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Thanked by: v00d00ppl and martinolig
    godprobe
    Participant

Ack! lost my post!
    In short… gave C&V, TMF, Vintage Rock, and Jazz a try and C&V easily came out on top, despite Whitten’s modesty about his own SDX.
    My picks for that kit with a Beatlesesque sound via matching it against “With a Little Help From My Friends” are…
    Kick: 14×24″ Ludwig Keystone – 1960s
    Snare: 8×12″ Tamburo Stave Shell Piccolo
    Toms 1/2/Floor: Camco Oaklawns
    Hat: 16″ Zildjian A – 1960s
    Didn’t try out too many of the cymbals, but the McCartney Tour Rides in there are certainly pretty sweet.

And I have no idea what The Beatles actually used, so those picks are all just based on sound and the fallibility of my own ears (and I hadn’t read Scott’s post before doing my picks either ).

WinXP | Fireface 800 | Variax | Axe-Fx | Toontrack | Komplete | Reaper http://www.godprobe.com/projects/notemaps/

myron
    Participant

Ok here’s a snippet of the tune “http://soundcloud.com/myronzmusic/i-dream-of-jeannie” I used C&V kit pieces, as godprobe listed. I also used the cymbals and ride that were labled “60s.” I haven’t processed the drums yet.

I am looking for more “ring” to the drums, especially a more open kick and snare.

What do you think?

M1 Mac Mini • 16GB RAM • OSX 14.2.1 • UA Quad • Logic 10.8 • Kontakt 7 • Toontrack SD3

Whitten
    Participant

I like it actually.
    Good job.
    It sounds realistically 60’s.
    If you go with a different bass drum and snare, I would at least keep a mix with these sounds as they are credible IMHO.

The ringy sounding drums from the 60’s were a jazz hangover. So that’s why I keep mentioning the jazz ezx.
    However – I HAVEN’T HEARD IT, so that’s a whopper of a caveat.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Where can i get actual midi files to match Ringo’s playing? Toontrack definitely doesn’t offer anything close.

Phenix 2
    Participant

what’s the main question ?

C&V or TMF? = ? wtf ?

ezx, sdx? not enough informations

You like drums, iconic sounds and drum plugins ?
    > Go and see my Youtube channel : check it out and subscribe !

dannyrichardson
    Participant

Waves have an Abbey Roads collection that rocks. I like to Use waves or Native Instruments for my VST’s as of recently.

Really loving Native Instruments and Omnisphere for their drums and organ VST’s though!

Bear-Faced Cow
    Participant

NI’s Abbey Road drums sound decent, but I find them too restrictive in that you’re basically stuck with one kit or the other and have no ability to customize it, short of changing snares (and even that’s rather limited). Mind, it was NI’s libraries that made me realize that there were better sounding drums than what I had.

jord

Jordan L. Chilcott

Web Site: https://jordanchilcottmusic.com/

martinolig
    Participant

link doesnt work, can you resend?

martinolig
    Participant

Here’s my take of a 60’s-ish Beatles sound (maybe late 60s). http://www.rainbowsounds.com/Toontrack/RingoKit.mp3

looks the link is not working,

pls resend if possible

thank you

Scott

Here’s my take of a 60’s-ish Beatles sound (maybe late 60s). http://www.rainbowsounds.com/Toontrack/RingoKit.mp3

looks the link is not working,

pls resend if possible

thank you

No sorry, I don’t have the 9 year old clip anymore.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Thanked by: martinolig
Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.