[DESIGN] Piezo-Piezo to Piezo-Switch Adaptor (by Keith Raper)

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • tazinnuedo
    Participant

are you sure that your circuit is alright???? maybe a reversed diode,or  the transistor is reversed… i don’t know…  check your circuit to be sure that’s not this problem…
    have you selected the good type of pad in your drum brain? i don’t know if it’s possible on a td6 but on the td10 you can choose what kind of pad you want… (if you select a mono pad on your module and play with a dual pad… you will have only the head sound…) i don’t know how work exactly the input into the module(if the jack’s ring is bypassed or bypassed and linked with the sleeve) when you select a mono pad… and it’s not exactly the same problem than yours  but maybe it will be solved it…

francois

elrules
    Participant

I have checked the circuit. Referring to the input pad type. The TD6 can’t assign a different pad type for the rim on a piezo/switch input. It’s obvious you have to choose an stereo pad type for the input in order to “cheat” the module. The types selectable are PD type, PD-8, CY type, CY-8, KD type, KD-8, PD-80R, PD-120, PD-125, RT-7K, RT-5S, and RT-3T.

But it’s not working. I know that with TD-20 and TD-12 the inputs are splittable
    just adding a 100k resistor between tip and ring, but for inferior modules, like TD-6 this simple cable is not possible. Has any of you tried this circuits with a TD-6 module?? I need help :'(

tazinnuedo
    Participant

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20504&highlight=padtable

look at the jman’s link in the thread… you may got your response…  if i have understood, inputs 5,6,7,8 are splittable in two mono pads, but not input 4.   if you select PD8 you can have rimshot on input4????

(on the td10 you can only choose type of pad too and it’s this choose which determines the input’s type (mono or stereo etc…)

elrules
    Participant

In the TD6 module, inputs 5/6 and 7/8 are splittable with a simple Y cable from stereo jack to two mono jacks. But input 4 and others are not splittable. That is the reason for me to be here posting and trying to get a response. To be able to split an un-splittable input cheating the module. I think this is the purpose of the circuits in this thread. But it seems people have tested them with Yamahas and high end Roland modules, but not the TD6, which is the one I own.

tazinnuedo
    Participant

the circuit only works with a piezo/switch input… if your input is physicaly “mono” in your module (input 4  so) there is no solution i think …   have you got the rim when you plug a real dual roland pad (main piezo and membrane switch like a cy5 for example)

elrules
    Participant

Of course I can. The PD-8 and CY-8 pads are that, piezo + switch, and they work with 2 sounds in those inputs, head and rim.
    But I have build all the 3 circuits and as I said here before they hasn’t worked.
    Circuit 2 has near 0 sensitivity on rima and Circuit1/3 gives me the same sound (the one from the head).
     and i don’t know what to do.

PFozz
    Participant

The “rim detection” part of your circuit 2 seems to work.
    Try to connect the rim piezo “+” (ceramic part) to the tip of your stereo plug.

Best.

www.eareckon.com

elrules
    Participant

ORIGINAL: PFozz

The “rim detection” part of your circuit 2 seems to work.
    Try to connect the rim piezo “+” (ceramic part) to the tip of your stereo plug.

Best.

Do you mean I have to connect the two “+” of the piezos with a wire? or with a diode like circuit 1/3?

It seems you know how the circuit exactly works. I would appreciate if you could give a technical explanation about each part of the circuit, what do they do, etc. That information would be very very useful to me because then I could be able to change component values with the knowledge of what I’m changing, or to add or remove parts of the circuits to achieve what I need.

(Thanks for all of your replies)

elrules
    Participant

Somebody there?

Rogue

Hi – Pfozz is currently on vacation, so you are unlikely to hear from him in the imminent future.

Best Regards,
    RM

Rogue Marechal - Toontrack
    Configuration Manager

PFozz
    Participant

Thanx Rogue 😉

> Do you mean I have to connect the two “+” of the piezos with a wire? or with a diode like circuit 1/3?

You should try with a diode.

> It seems you know how the circuit exactly works.

Actually, Keith Raper is the man of the situation 🙂
    I’m formerly not into analog electronics but here’s what I understand from the schematics :

.D1 and D2 won’t allow a piezo xducer to make his buddy “buzz”.
    .Q1 acts as a triggered switch : basically, if there’s enough current coming to its “base”, Q1 allow what’s coming from its collector to flow to its emitter.
    .R1 limits the sensitivity (more the value is, less sensible will be the detection)
    .R2 increases the sensitivity (more the value is, more sensible will be the detection)

In the 2nd circuit, the “main” piezo xducer determines the velocity of a hit, while the “aux” piezo xducer is use to trigger a kind of switch that determines which zone of your dual pad is played.

In circuits 1/3, if you’re playing the first mono pad, its piezo transducer is used to determine the velocity and basta.
    If you’re playing the second pad, its piezo is used to determine the velocity of the hits and what’s coming from this same piezo will make the circuit “link” the ring and sleeve parts of your socket.

Hope this helps,
    Best.

www.eareckon.com

elrules
    Participant

Thanks for your posts. I have now the ideas clearer.This thread and http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=261412#post261412 has helped me a lot.

The only thing now is to receive my piezos and make my own pads and try to build this circuit to make them work

KeiichiRX7
    Participant

Okay, i know this is really off the wall and odd for drumming, but would it be possible to get a variant of this that will convert 3 piezos into 3 switches?  I ask because a full set of e-drums with a module is a bti out of my reach, so ive taken to modding game controllers and building my own stuff.

currently (feel free to laugh) i’m tapping alng on a rock band drumset (yes the one for the video game), with a couple addon cymbal stands with pads mounted on top.  there are 3 extra buttons on the controller that i dont use for anything when it’s connected to my PC.  I’d like to take those buttons and put them to use by using a variant of the piezo-switch circuit.  Currently i’m planning on using a pintech pickup on each pad.

I know my controller is lowtech and doesnt offer much in the way of velocity control, but its what i can afford.  So in essence i’m playing sample pads not really electronic drums.

so yeah, the desired outcome is hit pad, close circuit

bixpiu
    Participant

sorry for my difficulty to understand. with it is possible to connect two mono pads to a stereo exit and assign two sounds? i’ve a Yamaha dtxplorer and i would like to expand my set. i can use stereo exit for connect two pads?

ricepattydaddy
    Participant

umm i have the alesis i/o and i would like to use chokable cymbals and 3 zone cymbals that i make myself. I dont understand what you used to make it work. i was wondering if you could tell me exactly what i would need just to make the Keith raper circuit. i have piezos, i have old crappy cymbals, i have soldering iron. plz explain in detail. exactly what i need to go buy to make this happen.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.