Delaying ambience mics?

Studio Corner
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Platinum Samples
    Participant

The Room mics in our SDX have been recorded with the natural delay and not compensated for… which is exactly as they would be on a tracking date. I’m pretty sure that all the SDX’s are like that. Moving the room mic tracks would affect the natural sound/decay of the room, which defeats the reason of recording in the chosen studio (IMNSHO).

I personally know no-one who time aligns their room mics to the close room mics… that’s just not how the kit would sound in the room.

Rail

Professionally Recorded Multitrack Drum Samples
    http://tinyurl.com/26k2xjo
    www.platinumsamples.com

Leo Saramago
    Participant

Superior Ambience mics sound amazing, no doubt.

What I don’t know is if there’s some technical aspect I should be concerned about AMB mics different L-R levels. Are the drums supposed to sound louder in one side in the final mix? Should anybody try to make L-R more even panwise? If so, how?

Sometimes, I get under the impression the snare shifts a little panwise from one hit to the next. Is it possible that samples are not correctly stored or is it supposed to be this way?

Thanks for your attention,

Leo

Whitten
    Participant

L & R do match except for the NY legacy 2 pack where room was asymmetrical.
    And there will be a real world inbalance in certain situations, like for example a crash placed above the hi-hat being struck, or ride over the floor tom.

Leo Saramago
    Participant

Thanks,

And should those inbalances be corrected or minimized? If so, how could that be achieved with today’s technology? Would phase issues come from this?

Theo Werner
    Participant

Whenever I need to manipulate the stereo image of SD i use the Flux Stereo Tool (freeware).

http://www.fluxhome.com/products/Freewares/stereotool

Whitten
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Leo Saramago

Thanks,

And should those inbalances be corrected or minimized?

For me it’s all a matter of taste.
    I like the room to sound like the real room that was used, and the kit to sound normal, panned as per real drums.

Leo Saramago
    Participant

Thanks, karl and Whitten!

Would anybody come up with technical reasons why stereo corrections should take place? Is it possible to draw a line where artistic choices become technical issues?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.