Four amazing deals,
this weekend only!

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

can I install SD3 on an external drive?

Product Manager
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Scott

From the S3 FAQ here:

https://www.toontrack.com/faq/1311697-2/

IS IT NECESSARY TO INSTALL THE FULL 230 GB SOUND LIBRARY?

No, the sound library download is divided into 5 parts. The minimum install size is approximately 41 GB.
    Below are the specific downloads for the sound library. Sound library downloads must be installed in order.
    Download 1: “Basic Sound Library” (All instruments, all tools and all articulations in close mics, OH Dyn and Amb Ribbon. Bleed in Snare Bottom (Kick and toms) , Approx. estimate 40gb)
    Download 2: “Room Mics 1” (The rest of the Room mics: OH Cond, Amb Near, Amb Mid).
    Download 3: “Room Mics 2 – Surround (5 ch)” (extra mics to achieve 5.0 surround, Front L/R, Center and Surround L/R)
    Download 4: “Room Mics 3 – Height Surround (6 ch)” (extra mics to achieve 11.0 surround, Front Height, Rear Height and Rear Height Wide )
    Download 5: “Extra Bleed” (The rest of the bleed in the close mics)

Yes, the sound library can be installed on an external drive.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Eric Puister
    Participant

Hi Scott, thanks for the reply,

Possibly I should split up the question, because I already read your FAQs, and I’d already understood what you said above. But I’m still a little puzzled, and I’d be very interested to get it to work on my system when it is released.

1) Is it true that there is a core program that you install on your system? If so, how big is it then – is that the 41GB?

2) Are downloads 2 to 5 the rest of all the sound libraries? You say they can be installed on an external drive, which would be great.

3) If needs be, can you install the core program on an external drive?

Thing is that I’d like to save as much room as I can on my system.

Eric

Scott

There are 2 things. The plugin…which is small…I’m not sure how big exactly as I’m not at my studio computer. I believe it’s 35MB or something. Then there is the sound library. The plugin is installed on your system drive and the sound library can be installed on an external drive.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Eric Puister
    Participant

Then it looks quite promising indeed!

Thanks!

Eric

Cary King
    Participant

Hi this question is for Scott. Can you point me to a step by step of how to take all my SSD and EzDrummer kits from my internal main system drive to a external for a Mac? I would also need to know how to redirect both SSD3 & EzDrummer to source the kits on the external instead of the internal. For my EzDrummer kits can I simply copy them from the Application Support Folder to an external drive or do I need to redownload them all?

Thank you!

John

Hi,

when it comes to Superior SDX:s, you simply move them to their new location and point the software to them. Please see the manual:
    https://www.toontrack.com/manual/superior-drummer-3/9/9-3-settings/9-3-3-libraries-settings-tab
    The ‘EZHOME’ repository, containing your EZX:s and Toontrack MIDI, is another thing.
    The easiest way to do it is to follow the guide here:
    https://www.toontrack.com/faq/how-do-i-move-the-sounds-for-ezdrummer-2/

If you do not have EZdrummer 2 installed, only Superior 2 and/or 3, I’d say the easiest way if you are on a Mac would be to first install the EZdrummer 2 Demo, launch it to see that it works, then close it and move the entire ‘EZdrummer’ folder in ‘{Mac HD}/Library/Application Support’ to your external drive.
    Launch the EZdrummer 2 Demo again and point it to the ‘EZdrummer’ folder on your external drive.
    Now Superior 2 and 3 should both pick up the correct location for your Toontrack MIDI and EZX:s.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Bernie Lenhoff
    Participant

This is a slightly different question.

I have an older MacBook running Mavericks. I have Superior Drummer 3 installed with the bulk of it on an external SSD, per discussion above. I have no problem using it with the DAW as is.

I wanted to try the new Presonus Studio software which needs a later OS, so I installed a bootable OS (High Sierra) on the same external SSD.

My question is: what is necessary for me to be able to use SD3 when booting from the external SSD? After installing and opening Product Manager on the new OS, it shows no installed products (even though all the files are on that same drive). Is it simply a matter of copying the SD3 plugin over to the new OS? Would that require an additional authorization (I’ve already used 2 authorizations, one for this old computer and one for my newer one where I mix)? It would be a pain to authorize/deauthorize everytime I want to switch boot from the internal/external drive.

In short, I want to be able to use SD3, no matter whether I boot from the internal or external SSD.

Hmm…wondering if the solution might be symlinks to certain Library folders on the internal drive?

Thank you.

arcadiamusic
    Participant

Well , I just bought it and I CAN NOT install it on external drives, I tried to chage the path to any of them and I always get the same message,

“The selected folder is not a valid installation of Superior Drummer 3 Library”

I have an “apple trash can”  and obviously only have one internal drive, and only have like 30 gb free, I have more that 6T on my Thunderbolt drives but wont let me install … any solution?

Thanks

Operating system: macOS High Sierra (10.13)
    Olof

Well , I just bought it and I CAN NOT install it on external drives, I tried to chage the path to any of them and I always get the same message,

“The selected folder is not a valid installation of Superior Drummer 3 Library”

I have an “apple trash can”  and obviously only have one internal drive, and only have like 30 gb free, I have more that 6T on my Thunderbolt drives but wont let me install … any solution?

Thanks

You have not downloaded it yet. You need to change your download location in Preferences in Product Manager to a disk that has enough space for the download. The download location is NOT the folder where you want the library to be installed, just a folder that will be used for Product Manager downloads (sort of temporary files) – a suitable name for such a folder is “Toontrack Downloads”. Once the library has been downloaded, you’ll click an “Install Product” button and you will get to choose where you want to install the library.

Olof Hermansson - Toontrack
    Coder

Thanked by: HodSaridDrums
    Håkan Aspnäs
    Participant

Thanks to Olof I think I understand, at last. But just to be sure, I can have everything included in Superior Drummer 3 and also Orchestral Percussion on an external drive? Nothing on the computer? That would be great!

“Pointing” to the external drive in programme Cubase..?

Hälsningar/Håkan

Operating system: macOS Catalina (10.15)
    John

Hi,

the sound libraries can reside on external drives but the software itself is installed on your system drive.
    The ‘pointing’ to the location of the Library/Libraries is done within the SD3 plugin/standalone: Settings > Librararies/Paths…

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Håkan Aspnäs
    Participant

Thank you so much John!!

Håkan Aspnäs
    Participant

Hi, the sound libraries can reside on external drives but the software itself is installed on your system drive. The ‘pointing’ to the location of the Library/Libraries is done within the SD3 plugin/standalone: Settings > Librararies/Paths…

I guess it is the same with the Orchestral Percussion..?

John

Yes, the Orchestral Percussion is a Sound Library which can be installed on an external HD. Doesn’t need to be the same one as the SD3 Core Library.

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Skip
    Participant

I have SD3 installed on a PC /Windows (win 7) computer at my personal studio BUT want to copy it to an external hard drive for a Mac (High Sierra 10.13) at the studio that I work at. How do I do that? Do not want to store it on the Mac studio machine.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.