Can Cakewalk automation change the sound of an EZkeys2 instrument?

Studio Corner
Viewing 5 replies - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Patrick Rowles
    Participant

I totally missed that this is different in the VST3 version of the plugin

Well, I did specify in one of my first posts that “the ‘Allow MIDI Program Change’ toggle is now labelled ‘Allow MIDI Bank Select’” (i.e. it differs in the actual plug-in from what is shown in the EZkeys2 documentation), and if it had been possible to send a Program Change command I did find myself wondering why no-one would/could tell me what the program numbers were for the individual sound settings in a given EZkeys2 instrument/library (e.g. Electric R-MK I > Soft Ballad). Even if I could have worked out the difference between a Program, a Bank, and a Patch, and how Cakewalk communicated them to its plugins, I’d still need to have known the numbers involved.

John

Hi Patrick,

I am sorry I didn’t catch that right away. I rarely use the VST3 version at all since I work mainly on macOS, which means I tend to use the AU version even if I’m using cross-platform hosts like Reaper, Studio One Live or FL Studio.

Anyways, there are are some significant changes to VST3, compared to VST2, which in Steinberg’s view is for the better and for a lot of users and developers is worse. MIDI Program Change is such a thing. I stumbled upon several conversations regarding this, e.g. this one with developers and Arne from Steinberg:
    https://forums.steinberg.net/t/vst3-and-midi-cc-pitfall/201879

But had Program Change worked for you, as it does with other plug-in formats, the Program Change number would have been ‘8’ to select ‘Soft Ballad’. You still would have had to select the right Bank for the Library first, which depends on how many libraries you have installed. In my case the ‘Electric R-MK I’ library would be: MIDI CC#0 (Bank MSB), 9.
    In your case: MIDI CC#0 (Bank MSB), 1.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Patrick Rowles
    Participant

No probs, John, and thanks again for all the replies. In a way, it’s a relief to find out that, under VST3, EZkeys2 can’t receive the required command, as it means I don’t have to learn a new method! I’ll just carry on using my old solution, i.e. separate instances of EZkey2 for each instrument/sound combo.

fossile
    Participant

verified – i can use my VST2 version of products like AAS Lounge Lizard, but not the VST3 version.  also, apparently Steinberg made the no RAW MIDI decision for VST3:

“The program change messages are not received by the VST 3 (this is because Steinberg wanted to abstract all midi messages with VST parameters and prevent the plugins from processing raw midi events). It is a limitation imposed by Steinberg, there is no workaround, except by loading the plug-in as a VST2 instead of VST3.”
    No Program Changes in VST3 – regrettable decision — steinberg.net forum

Glenn

www.runnel.com
    www.reverbnation.com/fossile

fossile
    Participant

so, with the new update, EZK has the option for program change in the standalone version but not in the VST3 (which has this handy information 🙂 )

any thoughts on perhaps enabling program change on the VST3? it has been done by a number of other product vendors. or perhaps a VST2 version then?

Glenn

www.runnel.com
    www.reverbnation.com/fossile

• This post was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by fossile.
Viewing 5 replies - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.