browsing in EZX electronics+outputs beatstation

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Whitten
    Participant

In your shoes I set up my sequencer (Logic, Pro Tools etc) to play a drum groove, loop it for one bar and go to the Toon kit construct window.
    Then as the drums play you drop down the window for each kit part and audition sounds.
    It literally takes seconds to load each piece in the Electronic EZX. You can check out 20 or more snare drums in a minute or so.

triple D
    Participant

Hello Mr Whitten.
    Did you really think I didn’t know how to work my way around a DAW?
    I feel insulted by your replie.

It’s very clear that all previous products from Toontrack didn’t need a dedicated sample browser so the developers didn’t feel the need to construct one. With EZX electronics it’s the first time that one pad contains numerous samples that even can’t be displayed in one screen.  
    I am not a programmer but I think that to audition a sample it must be loaded first into the construct page, cause the program doesn’t have a dedicated audition player. If that is true it’s totally understandable where the culprit lies. It would mean a lot of programming to do.

It’s 2010. computers are really fast and we want to work fast. 
    and every serious sample player accomodate such a feature for browsing fast through the content.

I am shure that if the first EZ drummer had so many samples as EZX electronics it was constructed differently. Not with a simple dropdown box.

What also bothers me is that you are a betatester, is that just a title in this forum or are you actually testing the products? If the latter is true then why don’t you back me up on this one? Every tester would come up with this short coming.

And lastly your workaround? 20 samples per minute??
    I work with mediabay and groove agent. I browse through sample libaries at a rate of two per seccond.
    That is in fact 120 per minute.6 times faster then your method.
    If you have 5000+ samples in your system you need a quick way to work with that, or do you see that differently?

I don’t want to start an argument, I rather want a replie from a developer explainig if it’s difficult to implement such a handy feature. And if it’s not difficult maybe they could throw the idea to the working table.

I also hope that I can rally other users to this cause.
    So please leave a comment if you also want a better sample auditioner.

Greetings Dylan Siemerink.

Superiordrummer2.0&EZdrummer&EZX electronics-Cubase5-wavelabS6.1Steinberg virtual bassist-Korg KLCAE07-Tone2 Filterbank3&Bifilter-AM Kicklab XXL-D16 Phoscyon & toraverb-GPO-GSi tape echo-UAD CambridgeEQ&Precision limiter.

Whitten
    Participant

Whatever.
    I was really trying to help by explaining what I do.

triple D
    Participant

Hello Mr Whitten,

There are 41 drumpads in EZX electronics.
    You suggest to create a drumloop and then audition in the construct page.
    The trouble is that you somehow have to create a drumloop using 41 different sounds, because I want to be able (offcourse) to audition every sample in EZX.

your method enables me to only audition samples that are contained in the pads that are used in the loop, because you can’t drag samples between different pads.
    This is in my view not a real clean and creative way to acces a sample library.

Thank you for your effort but quit frankly I am amazed that you are satisfied with this workaround.

Regards, Dylan.

Superiordrummer2.0&EZdrummer&EZX electronics-Cubase5-wavelabS6.1Steinberg virtual bassist-Korg KLCAE07-Tone2 Filterbank3&Bifilter-AM Kicklab XXL-D16 Phoscyon & toraverb-GPO-GSi tape echo-UAD CambridgeEQ&Precision limiter.

Dave Modisette
    Participant

Hello Mr Whitten.
    Did you really think I didn’t know how to work my way around a DAW?
    I feel insulted by your replie.

You sir, are easily insulted.  There was no way, that I saw, to determine what your level of competence was so Mr. Whitten tried to help a fellow user with the tools that were available.  Chris (Whitten) is not only a beta tester but he is also an artist who is responsible for one of the SDX libraries.  He’s not mean spirited or rude in the least and he never talks down to a user even though he’s got credentials to be envious of.  I think you should just chill out and consider that he at least tried to help.  Maybe, even consider an apology and credit where due.

That said, as a beta tester, we have no power other than to make suggestions and requests for features in the Toontrack products.  We look for catastrophic problems and little niggles that get under the skin.  We can only report.  We don’t write code or sign paychecks at the end of the day so we have no final say what goes into the product.  We are also obligated to keep secret these back room conversations.  As for a sample audition feature, (in the case of the Electronic EZX) it would be nice to have.  But consider that there is only one EZX product that underscores this need to this extent.  The majority of Toontrack products lean toward real acoustic drums so this need didn’t surface.  But rising tides raise all boats and a sample audition might be useful with the acoustic sample sets also.

One thing I will say is that I have never witness anyone related to Toontrack who would deny anything less than the absolute best product that can be produced in the constraints of market forces.  (That is – time and resources)  I would suggest that if that feature fits in with the vision of the company and the resources are there, I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t show up some day.

So make your feature request as you have.  They know how long those drop down lists are in the Electronic EZX – they are all musicians and users of the product too.  But please, don’t be rude to someone trying to help you with the tools as they are available.

Dave Modisette www.gatortraks.com www.plasticsamerica.com http://www.gatortraks.com/forum

triple D
    Participant

Hello Dave,

Actually I don’t want to start nitpicking about netiquette but somehow we have to.
    I was in no way rude to Mr Whitten I have the right to feel insulted if someone is not taken my point seriously.
    Also I guess he can speak for himself, and if he feels offended by my post then I will wholeheartedly give my apologize but I much rather discuss my problem with EZX electronics.

Because what I really want to know is if a dedicated sample auditioner is sceduled for superior drummer.
    Could a developer (or a betatester who talked about this to a developer) explain me why there isn’t one in superior drummer 2.0 because EZX electronics has 41 pads with each of them a lot of samples.

Is this because the R&D team doesn’t consider this to be a necessity or because it’s difficult to implement, in other words, it’s a lot of work and therefor not on their agenda. All understandable, I just want to know where I stand that’s all.
    And again, are there other users who feel the same or am I the only one having trouble with this?

Best regards Dylan.

Scott

I’m sure that the powers that be have taken note of your request, Dylan.

I’m also equally sure that no one can give you an answer as to why there currently isn’t a sample auditioner in S2 or when one may or may not be implemented. Toontrack plays it’s development cards very close to the chest. But, like I said, I’m sure your request has been duly noted.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

triple D
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Scott
     Toontrack plays it’s development cards very close to the chest.

Hello Scott,

How long is EZX electronics on the market. September 2009 or something?
    Anyway, I bought it a month ago, and when I opened it, two things were inmediately apparent.
    The slow way of sample browsing and the GUI always opens in standard view.

The opening in standard view, well with one mouseclick you can enter the classic view. But it would be neat if you could choose your default view, because in the classic view the pads are nametagged (kick, snare,….Hits 1 hits2….Xtra 3….Xtra 4 ….etc) Which is easy for reference if you work with drummaps.
    (Nametagging the pads in standard view is also a solution, I really don’t care for cosmetics, I want functionality.)

The slow sample browser was really a pain though, The first thing I thought was that this had to be a hotfixworthy case. I imagened that everyone at Toontrack would see this as something obvious. Therefor I am totally flabbergasted that this issue isn’t officially adressed here on the forum.
    Keeping your cards to the chest is something I can relate to, but I expected this issue to be the exeption on the rule.

I am not giving up,
    I believe in strength in numbers, so if everyone chimes in with a +1 then things can be set in motion.
    But so far it looks I am one of the few here.

C’mon people! Team up! We want a sample browser for EZX electronics!

Regards Dylan.  

Scott

How long is EZX electronics on the market. September 2009 or something?

Yes, I would think that this speaks volumes to how the users feel about this.

Anyway, I bought it a month ago, and when I opened it, two things were inmediately apparent.
    The slow way of sample browsing and the GUI always opens in standard view.

Does the Electronic EZX open in Standard View when you load it in S2.2.1? It loads in Classic View here.

Keeping your cards to the chest is something I can relate to, but I expected this issue to be the exeption on the rule.

With all due respect, why? Why would this feature request be given special treatment? Those of us that work for Toontrack in some capacity or another (techs, betatesters, etc.) all sign NDAs and couldn’t speak of future developments if we wanted to.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

triple D
    Participant

My account says I downloaded each update, and I install every update mostly right after downloading.
    Where can I find my versionnumber?

Why would this feature request be given special treatment?

Because EZX electronics is on it’s basic level a sample library, and superior drummer is a sample player, those two should work good together.
    If the samples are difficult to manage (which they are IMHO) then you almost miss the whole point of the product.

Before I continue my rant I want you to know that Superiordrummer is my goto drumsampler, The internal bouncing and internal mixing features are a big welcome to my workflow not to mention the quality of the samples. In case there will never be a dedicated auditioner I still will be very happy to use this software, heck, in the end I will know evey sample out of my head anyway.

And because every rule has it’s exeption I kind of hoped that this was one because it’s such an obvious flaw.
    Don’t you agree that it could be better?

Whitten
    Participant

ORIGINAL: triple D

I was in no way rude to Mr Whitten I have the right to feel insulted if someone is not taken my point seriously.

Dude.
    I made absolutely no comment on the validity of your request.
    I just suggested a different way of doing things. Perhaps to help you manage an issue you have which isn’t going to change quickly – is that a crime in your eyes?
    Look at my post!
    One reason for posting what I did is that you sounded frustrated, and it’s highly likely that even if your request was taken onboard, it would be weeks, or more likely months before it was available to you as a downloadable upgrade.
    You didn’t say anything about your personal expertise and experience in the original post. Fact is, we get a lot of posters who are inexperienced with the Toontrack software and commonly something like EZdrummer is their first experience using music software… period.
    Like I said, I just offered a technique based on my personal use of the EZX Electronic.
    Sorry you found that insulting.
    I hadn’t looked at my forum tag. I have no control over it actually.
    Last time I looked it said something like ‘VIP: Consultant’. I certainly am not a ‘betatester’.
    I’ve never thought the tag was that important. If you think it is, or anyone else, I’m happy to instruct the powers that be modify it to something more accurate and/or humble.

Scott

My account says I downloaded each update, and I install every update mostly right after downloading.
    Where can I find my versionnumber?

See below.

If the samples are difficult to manage (which they are IMHO) then you almost miss the whole point of the product.

I certainly don’t miss the point of the product and I’m beginning to take offense to your tone.

Personally, I’ve never heard such agitation over a feature request in my life. OK. We get it. You want a way to audition samples.

You infer insulting language from Chris when there certainly wasn’t any (intended or imagined) and then go on to basically insult the intelligence of Toontrack personnel by saying there is ‘an obvious flaw’ in their product because your feature request wasn’t implemented before you requested it. Or that other users haven’t requested it yet (the Electro EZX has been out since ‘September 2009 or something’) or that Toontrack themselves should have implemented this feature already.

I will again say, I’m sure that Toontrack will take your request with proper consideration as they do with all requests, but please, lets try to keep the ranting to a minimum.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

triple D
    Participant

Hello Chris,

I made absolutely no comment on the validity of your request.

Well why didn’t you. I wanted to start a topic about this to innitiate a discussion.
    To see if there are more people wanting to have a smoother sample managment.
    Or input from people that disagree with me.

Fact remains that your workaround doesn’t work if you want to audition all sounds of EZX electronics as I explained in a previous post.lan.

Regards Dylan

Scott

ORIGINAL: triple D

Well why didn’t you.

Well, I won’t put words in Chris’ mouth but he was probably trying to help you rather than just throw in the ubiquitous ‘+1’. That’s the way this Toontrack forum really works. We try to lend a hand.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Platinum Samples
    Participant

Kit piece preview would be a great future feature… in the meantime you can use Beat Station to preview your SDX or EZX’s if you have that.

Rail

Professionally Recorded Multitrack Drum Samples
    http://tinyurl.com/26k2xjo
    www.platinumsamples.com

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.