browsing in EZX electronics+outputs beatstation

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Whitten
    Participant

Thanks Scott.

ORIGINAL: triple D

Well why didn’t you. I wanted to start a topic about this to innitiate a discussion.

Actually I said what I did out of respect to you.
    I personally don’t need the feature you’ve requested.
    Rather than shoot you down (with a -1 ) I decided to contribute with a workaround of sorts, just in case it hadn’t occurred to you.
    I’m sure other users would like a sample preview, so your post is entirely valid.
    On the other hand I’m a NI Maschine owner. It has hundreds more samples than EZX Electronic.
    It also has sample preview but I rarely use it.
    Most often I’m working on a piece of music and as such I’ll often have worked on a basic drum part.
    If I then want to change sounds, I drag them into the sample player (like selecting them in the EZX drop down) so I can hear them in the context of the drum part and the backing music.
    That’s just the way I do it.

triple D
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I sometimes work the other way around.
    When I begin a project or starting a groove I browse for sounds. Sounddesign is an important element in my music. So for me the absence of a sample auditioner is a major workflow killer.
    I am not talking about basic stuff like creating a beat using samples from a 808/909 kit.
    It are all the circuitbend glitches, Atari/amiga noises and those electronic bleeps. I bought the EZX electronics package mainly for that purpose. And those samples have tones and timbres that I want to make ‘fit’ or ‘hover’over soundscapes. In order to do so it would be handy if I could browse through them while the project plays. Not playing a groove with Superior Drummer, just play the project and preview them over it.

Maybe this method is so off the grid that I stand alone in this, and therefor you may find my reaction over the top, but concider this if you will.
    Besides the reason why I want a dedicated audition player I think Toontrack stuffed a big pile of samples (EZX electronics) in a sampleplayer that can’t handle that amount of content.
    Obviously the player was intendet to play back virtual acoustic drumkits.
    So this electronic drumsampling is a whole new game and things can go wrong, nothing to be ashamed of.

If that is not the case then explain me why so many samples are organized in simple folded dropdown boxes? Every single developer in the world would do it otherwise if they knew there was going to be so much samplemanagment.

But I am fairly confident that what I discribed above is absolutely the case, and then it’s only logical that I expect Toontrack to fix this breach in functionality.

Just my thoughts, no pun or harm intendet in anyway.

Regards Dylan.

Superiordrummer2.0&EZdrummer&EZX electronics-Cubase5-wavelabS6.1Steinberg virtual bassist-Korg KLCAE07-Tone2 Filterbank3&Bifilter-AM Kicklab XXL-D16 Phoscyon & toraverb-GPO-GSi tape echo-UAD CambridgeEQ&Precision limiter.

Whitten
    Participant

While I think your basic request is absolutely valid, and I’m sure other Toontrack customers would appreciate the feature as you describe it, I do think you are going in a bit hard – maybe it’s something cultural, or a language issue?
    There is no ‘breach of functionality’ and it isn’t the case that ‘electric drumsampling is a whole new game’ for Toontrack and as a result things have gone wrong.
    It’s just a different way of doing things.
    As Scott alluded to, EZX Electronic has been available for a good while and this is the first time someone has claimed it’s ‘wrong’ or non-functioning.

However, Toontrack always want to do better I’m sure. they’ve had a pretty good record responding to customer feedback, so perhaps your wish will be granted.

triple D
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Whitten
    maybe it’s something cultural, or a language issue?

I am Dutch, I really can’t know how my Englisch is coming accross, maybe I should use these damned emoticons to express my friendly behaviour while putting down negative thoughts . (But to be honest, I hate those yellow bastards)

Also I am an active  member on the Cubase forum, and over there things are a bit more bad to the bone I can tell you.
    This forum is new to me, give me time to adapt.

I do have a strong opinion on this matter and this forum allows me to ventilate that. The forum rules explicitly say that I can share my thoughts negative or positive from a customer perspective. So that is what I do.
    Most beautifull creations derive from struggle is my motto.

Regards Dylan.

Superiordrummer2.0&EZdrummer&EZX electronics-Cubase5-wavelabS6.1Steinberg virtual bassist-Korg KLCAE07-Tone2 Filterbank3&Bifilter-AM Kicklab XXL-D16 Phoscyon & toraverb-GPO-GSi tape echo-UAD CambridgeEQ&Precision limiter.

Olof Westman
    Forum Crew

I think you should have a look at Beatstation. Personally, I perceive it
    as our solution for people who work the way you do.

/Olof W

Olof Westman - Toontrack
    Coder

triple D
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Olle

I think you should have a look at Beatstation. Personally, I perceive it
    as our solution for people who work the way you do.

/Olof W

Hello Olof,

thank you for the heads up.
    I took a quick look. There is no trial version available so I’ll have to take the dive I guess.

For me important to know is if I purchase this product, will the samples from EZX electronic appear in the left collumn of beat station  and can I audition them before I drag them to a designated pad?

Regards Dylan.

Scott

will the samples from EZX electronic appear in the left collumn of beat station  and can I audition them before I drag them to a designated pad?

Yes. EZXs, SDXs, REX, and even your own .wav samples will appear in the browser window and can be auditioned.

I love using Beatstation as a sound design tool. Very easy to create new sounds by layering and using the built in effects.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

triple D
    Participant

Hello Scott.

Well case closed then.
    I watched all the video’s and think it’s an awesome product.
    I now use Grooveagent1, a simple MPC style sampler that ships with Cubase, for all my homebrewed samples, it’s a fun idea to make use of them in conjunction with Toontrack samples in one GUI. Then I just need one program/instrument to do all my drumprogramming. 
    I would purchase this only to audition EZX. So all the other things are just bonus then for me.

But….(yes, I am so sorry for the but)

Only one thing I can’t find, not in the manual, beatstation forum or in the Video’s.

The ouputs?

Has every pad it’s own output? Or has Beatstation like 16 outputs you can configure? I shurely hope so otherwise I can’t do anything with it.
    I keep my fingers crossed, if it has multible outputs, I will be a happy customer.

regards Dylan.

Scott

The ouputs?

Currently, Beatstation has a single stereo output.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

triple D
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Scott

The ouputs?

Currently, Beatstation has a single stereo output.

Currently ay?

Well I just have to wait then.

Anyway, thank you guys for your patience and replies, I will leave the subject alone now and hope my request will see the daylight in the near future.

Bye, Dylan. 

Martin

Hi, looks like I’m late to the party.

Regarding browsing sounds easier in Electronic EZX; point taken.
    Regarding multiple outputs in Beatstation; this has been up for discussion but is not implemented. I’m not sure that it will be either, but the topic is up for discussion. Not a trivial feature to implement, though. The thing is, that with the possibilites to edit your sounds in Beatstation, you might not need the multiple outputs as much as you might think.

Well. Carry on, then.

Martin Kristoffersson
    Sound Designer

triple D
    Participant

Hello martin, thank you for the answers.

To add weight to why I myself would vouch for multible outputs in beatstation:

1) The possibility to use your own favourite reverbs and delays on single sounds. Now you can only bus the whole beatstation to a FX channel.
    2) I myself use a lot of filterplugins as inserts to shape the sounds, mainly those of tone2. Also this I want to do on single sounds.
    3) Mixing on the fly. If I am in front of the cubasemixer and I want to lower only the snare drum you would have to open the beatstation GUI.
    4) If I could do that in the mixer I can also take a peek at the dB meter or an inserted analyzer on that channel.
    5) using Batchexport in Cubase, so you can work with seperate waveforms in your downmix.
    6) Muting/soloing sounds in the mixer on the fly.
    7) sending a kick from beatstation with another kicksynth to a groupchannel for further processing.

All these items are a major part of my daily workflow.

Regards Dylan.

Looney_Tooner
    Participant

Well, when I asked the same question half a year ago (and repeatedly) here:

http://www.toontrack.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=87170&mpage=1&key=electronic%2cezx%2cbrowsing&#87170

it got completely ignored by Toontrack.

Let’s hope for the best. Without having to buy additional products.
    It seems to me that noone from Toontrack has ever used Electronic EZX (apart from Scott in the demo), otherwise they clearly would have noticed the bad workflow browsing sounds.

triple D
    Participant

Hey Looney_Tooner

Thnx for that link, I was beginning to think that I was the only one here!
    The mods said I was the only one complaining about this.

Please, please are there more people having this issue then  respond (kindly) to this thread, Maybe we could pursade Toontrack to hurry things up?

Best regards Dylan.

Martin

As I said, point is definitely taken. I can bring it up at the office, but I wouldn’t expect anything happening soon (if happening at all). It’s vacation time now, and on top of that there’s a lot of other development stuff going on that requires attention.

But yes, I would definitely agree that it is a feature that would improve the Electronic EZX.

Martin Kristoffersson
    Sound Designer

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.