Best midi to buy

Studio Corner
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • jbraner
    Participant

Have a look at the Monster MIDI pack on the Toontrack site.

Otherwise look up Groove Monkee and Oddgrooves.

John Braner
    http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
    and all the major streaming/download sites.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Reaper 7 x64 (latest version), Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, AMD Ryzen 3950x, 32GB RAM, MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi mobo (not using wifi though), NVIDIA GEForce GT710 video card, MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface

Martin

I think the Metal Foundry MIDI would suit you well. Unfortunately, the MIDI is not available to purchase separate, so you would have to get the full expansion. Did I mention it comes with 35 GB and 7 metal kits as well? It rocks…

Martin Kristoffersson
    Sound Designer

dthgtr
    Participant

+1 on Odd Grooves and GrooveMonkee.They both offer free sample packs.

Personally I have purchased the Progressive pack from Groove Monkee and the Basic and Advanced packs from Oddgrooves and am quite happy with both.

If I am not mistaken Groove Monkee is offering 10% off for summer.I don’t know how long the offer is good for.

Worth checking out.

Later.

2004 Fender American Stratocaster Marshall MG 250 Digitech GNX4 Guitar Workstation Novation Impuse 49 Scarlett 8i6 Presonus Eris 5 monitors Sonar X3 Pro Win7 HP 64 Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Intel i5 3470(3rd gen) 3.2GHz 16GB RAM (2)1TBHDD

boobleay
    Participant

@jabraner – I didn’t get the impression that the Monster MIDI pack had a heavy rock kind of vibe to it.  Does it have a good selection of those kinds of beats?

@Martin – I picked up the EZdrummer DFH expansion on Ebay (solely for the midi library); can you give me an idea of how the Metal Foundry groove collection compares size-wise, and whether there is any overlap between the two (are grooves from DFH carried over into Metal Foundry, or are they all new grooves)?

@dthgtr – I’ve already picked up the Power Rock pack from Groove Monkee and I was a little surprised to find that there were only 12 main grooves to work with.  Granted, each has a number of variations for different parts of a song, but the base of grooves it gives me to work with is not that substantial.  Is that also the case for the Progressive pack… and how does this compare to the packs from Oddgrooves in terms of size?

One more question, for anyone who might know – someone I was collaborating with a while ago gave me a reaper project file and the drum beat is the kind of thing I’m looking for.  It’s a series of midi grooves and the titles are formatted like this:

“3-4 Straight Beat 004 – 4th HH Open (Clean) >PopRock – 3-4 Straight Beat 004 – _V_ 4th HH Open (Clean) _C_ PopRock.mid”

Anybody know what midi library this is from?

jbraner
    Participant

I didn’t get the impression that the Monster MIDI pack had a heavy rock kind of vibe to it. Does it have a good selection of those kinds of beats?

I don’t really know what you call “heavy rock” beats.  To me, any straight 4/4 groove is going to do it – you just play them at your correct speed, and adjust them a little to fit your song. For this reason, I’d think any of the songwriters packs would work – but that’s just me 😉

John Braner
    http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
    and all the major streaming/download sites.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Reaper 7 x64 (latest version), Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, AMD Ryzen 3950x, 32GB RAM, MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi mobo (not using wifi though), NVIDIA GEForce GT710 video card, MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface

oddgrooves
    Participant

ORIGINAL: boobleay

@dthgtr – I’ve already picked up the Power Rock pack from Groove Monkee and I was a little surprised to find that there were only 12 main grooves to work with.  Granted, each has a number of variations for different parts of a song, but the base of grooves it gives me to work with is not that substantial.  Is that also the case for the Progressive pack… and how does this compare to the packs from Oddgrooves in terms of size?

One more question, for anyone who might know – someone I was collaborating with a while ago gave me a reaper project file and the drum beat is the kind of thing I’m looking for.  It’s a series of midi grooves and the titles are formatted like this:

“3-4 Straight Beat 004 – 4th HH Open (Clean) >PopRock – 3-4 Straight Beat 004 – _V_ 4th HH Open (Clean) _C_ PopRock.mid”

Anybody know what midi library this is from?

Hi, Per from OddGrooves here!

First of all: The 3/4 MIDI beats you refer to are from the standard library that comes with Addictive Drums. I recognize the file format.

Can’t speak for Groove Monkee obviously. Our “older” packs (Basic, Advanced & Crazy Drumming plus FourFour 1&2) contain shorter grooves that you piece together into a drum track. In terms of size there are between 700 and 1800 grooves to work with in those packs. Our newer packs (Westcoast and Reggae drumming) are made of different verses, choruses, intros, outros etc – not variations but completely different drum tracks. In those there are less files, but the loops are a LOT longer. And then we have two packs with only fills. Much of our stuff is in the progressive genre, but the FourFour packs also have some heavier grooves. No dedicated metal pack, though. Yet

We have a free sample pack available and also a full money-back guarantee.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Per

MIDI http://www.oddgrooves.com/ for EZdrummer and Superior Drummer at http://www.oddgrooves.com Lots of free MIDI!

James Moody
    Participant

Having just purchased the West Coast and Reggae Odd Grooves packs, I can vouch that they are very useful.
    I also have some of Groove Monkee’s packs as well as the Songwriter’s Drum Packs (1 & 2) and the Songwriter’s Fill Pack.
    All have proven to be useful at one point or another, well worth the price paid.

Xplora
    Participant

I have a massive bunch of both companies, as well as having heard a lot of Toontrack grooves. I’ve also got Jamstix.

You are really getting a “real” drummer with each pack you buy, because the vibe is quite constrictive, as the OP mentioned – the is because each drummer only has a certain number of licks to work with. The standard four on the floor is really quite restrictive if you want a straight up beat. You can put the kick in a couple different places, different hihat grooves, maybe a little snare ghosting, but rock is rock. It’s called funk if it gets too tricky. Or progressive.

I would HIGHLY recommend Jamstix if you want the chance to get your head around a lot of different styles and vibes. You can feed crappy programmed grooves into jamstix and it makes them “real” as well.

For the record, I’m a drummer as well. It made it much harder to use the libraries and Jamstix, because I have found out I’ve got a VERY progressive and eclectic style, almost fusion despite my metal roots. It’s hard to replicate a drummer with any library – you just have to work within the tools you have and be satisfied with that.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.