Best E Drum Kit for Superior Drummer 3

Superior Drummer 3 Pre-sales
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • PietjePuk100
    Participant

I believe that both Roland and the Yamaha will be fine. The only thing that the TD50 has over the others is the digital snare & ride. Although you could also argue against this.

If you don’t care for the digital snare & ride I’d say go for the TD30KV as Roland always triggers great (I am biased btw 😉 ). I can’t say anything appropriate about the Yamaha kits as I haven’t played those other than in a music store.

The Pearl Mimic Pro is just a module (and not a kit) that contains the Steven Slate Drums 5 on board and triggers VST sounds directly from the modules. Sounds great and if used for playing live you don’t have to drag a laptop around. Check out the VDrums forum on some preview sounds for the upcoming Mimic Pro update.

I never went for the DIY option but that is because of me 😉

Cheers,

TD50x triggering SD3
    SPD-SX triggering SD3
    MacBook Pro M1 Pro (32GB/512GB SSD)
    DAW: Ableton Live (latest)

magwa101
    Participant

Have you been able to get positional sensor working with the Roland Digital Ride CY-18DR ?

I’m using the TD50 preset and the Digital Snare is setup correctly for positional sensing, but the Digital Ride is not. Manually configuring it is not working for me either. Looking for some tips since support is MIA.

Windows 11
    Reaper
    SD3

Adam Clapton
    Participant

I definitely recommend spending the extra money and going with a Roland. Their modules are a hell of a lot better compared to Alesis, Simmons, Yamaha, etc. I grabbed a TD-3 years back. I am now running my Roland on (2) TD-6 modules, all mesh heads and multiple cymbals.

Having a good module is the most important part as it is the entire brain to the kit. I prefer the full control that Roland brains offer where you can literally do anything you want with each pad in terms of sounds, EQ, sensitivity, etc. I didnt like the sounds and functionality on the Alesis, Simmons, Yamaha modules. They sounded and felt too much like video game toy drum set.

The rubber pads are not bad at all to start with but I do prefer the mesh instead as they provide better control and sensitivity on accent notes. I do also run an Axis double bass pedal so the KD-1 (i think that is the model) kick drum handles it fine.

Nip
    Participant

I think the groove check function as practising is outstanding in Yamaha. All Roland lack that as far as I tested when I got mine(10 years ago). I find that really is encouraging to get statistics numbers on how in the pocket your playing is – according to various settings you can apply, which parts of kit is to be measured etc.

I have an older DTXPRESS IV and look for kit among current products that allow setting midi note individually for any pad. Other things to look for might be that it sends midi for cymbal chose as well, mine do on internal sounds but does not send midi when muting cymbal.

As I am using internal sounds for nothing but practising, used for drumming entirely for midi and SD, I have not looked on Yamaha sounds in that critical view. Many drummers prefer Roland, as I understand. Personally testing both at the time I did not favor any sound, since that is what you hear when testing in music store.

Just another view…

BENNYBOOM666
    Participant

I have a ddrum DD5x electronic kit.I cant seem to get it to work with SD3.The SD3 doesn’t recognize the drivers of the DD5X,any suggestions

Scott

I have a ddrum DD5x electronic kit.I cant seem to get it to work with SD3.The SD3 doesn’t recognize the drivers of the DD5X,any suggestions

What version shows on the S3 interface? Have you updated to the latest version from the Toontrack Product Manager?

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

BENNYBOOM666
    Participant

VERSION 3.1.5, IS THAT THE LATEST VERSION

Scott

VERSION 3.1.5, IS THAT THE LATEST VERSION

Yes.

Please post your S3 support questions in the Support Forum here:

https://www.toontrack.com/forums/forum/superior-line/superior-drummer-3-help/?view=all

The pre-sale forum is for pre sale questions only.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Antonio
    Participant

I bought a TD-30, and I converted a Pearl Rhythm Traveler kit (bought used on eBay) to electronic using standard cheap triggers (currently 2 zones DDrum AT-40D).

Initially I did the same with the (cheap) acoustic cymbals I already have – bought some piezo sensors, and transformed to electronic. But never liked much, so in the end I bought some used Roland cymbals on eBay – better feeling and responsiveness.

Overall I am very happy. The only thing that I want to improve is the snare, maybe it’s the size (a 14″), but I don’t feel it triggers consistently, so I am thinking about buying an internal trigger, or an acoustic-electronic snare like the Jobeky.

Before this I had a Yamaha DTX-562. Overall a decent kit and module, but:

• after switching to my current setup, I wouldn’t ever go back. I find Roland much more playable.
    • Yamaha modules work with proprietary pads only. You cannot turn an acoustic snare or tom to electronic using triggers, or use pads from other brands.
    David Godinez
    Participant

If someone here can direct me to a video and or literature where I can read and or watch a demonstration on

how I can set up and play superior drummer 3 from my Roland SPD 30 Octopad into my DAW. I had it working while playing from my keyboard.

Then I tried to set up my SPD 30 in the Midi assign notes to the pads and now I can’t play back the Midi tract that I recorded into Luna!

Nor can I get back to where I was able to play from my keyboard.

In stand alone mode I was able to play my keyboard through my Motu express XT in Midi configuration. But when working within the DAW Luna, I can’t get back.

Ill keep trying the internet to see if there’s an answer for this but I don’t think so!

mwalters
    Participant

How about the Alesis Strike Kit?

DrumSocks
    Participant

Hi, I’m wanting to buy a Roland kit to run superior drummer. I have about £1000. My question is do I buy a TD-17kv, TD-12KVX with extras or at TD-9KVX with a lot of extras? Older module but better pads or newer module with those weird plastic rims?

Thanks 🙂

DigitalMD
    Participant

This is not true. Yamaha DTX modules have trigger settings that will work with any pad.

DigitalMD
    Participant

The newer Roland modules have some very nice new features if you want to add sounds to the module itself. The newer mesh PDX pads are definitely an upgrade over the old PD series. They have better response than the older PD pads. That “plastic rim” as you call it feels very natural when played and is very very rugged (it’s actually an advanced mixture of nylon and polycarbonate). It makes for a lighter , more reliable pad and feels more like an acoustic rim vs the old metal rim with rubber noise damper.  The sensor foam last longer and there are less hotspot issues on the new PDX pads. The TD-17 is marvelous for the price, but the older Roland modules do a nice job with SD3 so you may not be concerned about the better sounds internally in the TD-17.

Ryan Mowdy
    Participant

HELP!! Okay, let me give you my situation. I’m running an Avid MTRX, etc., high end stuff…guitars, basses, mandolins, organs, keyboards, lots of fun things. Now I’m fairly decent with about every other instrument out there but I’ll confess – I suck at drumming. I use SD3 with every expansion kit. I love it but my drums feel awkward and cumbersome to play. or I’ll hit my kick and my ride or crash will go off – drives ME nuts.

I eventually purchased a bunch of used Roland V-pads/cymbals….DIY approach. I just wanted to cut costs = Disaster. I also wanted a drum set with lots of capabilities (i like my rides and toms with up to 14 trigger inputs on the module/trigger I/O). So I bought a Pearl Mimic Pro thinking great….lots of trigger inputs – TOTAL disaster. I purchased the Alesis Strike Pro Module (NOT the set just the module) and it literally is SO bad – that is the trigger inputs, it makes those archaic d-drum red trigger I/Os look professional. I’m wondering if the used Roland pads I bought are all just worthless and defective??

So…..Alesis Strike Pro SE set or the bank-breaker Roland set? Any other ideas? If anyone out there can lend a helping hand I’d appreciate it greatly. Thanks folks. – Ryan.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.