Anyone having problems with EZ drumer DEMO crashing pro tools 11 OS X Mavericks ?

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • John

Hi,

I am using Pro Tools 11.3.1 with EZdrummer 2.1.1 in Maverick (10.10.2) and have no such problems.
    If you go to the EZdrummer 2 Menu (in the standalone app) and click ‘Check for updates’, do you get prompted to update?

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

variantboy
    Participant

If i open the stand-alone app and invoke the “Check for Updates”, it prompts “Your EZ Drummer software and libraries are up to date!”

I am suspecting, that since it worked with Logic, that it is some sort of memory management problems with pro tools…. as the read-me for 11.3.1 mentions something about 4GB being a threshold for other problems. They don’t explicitly call out virtual instruments in that line item – but perhaps it affects that space as well.

I have since upgraded my OS to Yosemite, and am getting the latest version of pro tools (11.3.1) to see if perhaps this was addressed in that update. I’ll come back and report whether or not this is successful.

Need to know this works in PT before purchasing !! so I’m hopeful it does.

Thanks

variantboy
    Participant

Still crashing – with Yosemite and PT 11.3.1.

Activity Monitor Utility shows MANY services that seem related to audio as “not responding”. Now I’m doing some investigation as to why that might be. I am thinking that there is something wrong in the system as a whole. Not good.

Olof

Hi, could you send a crash log, please? I believe that when you start Pro Tools after a crash you get the option to save a crash log.

Olof Hermansson - Toontrack
    Coder

variantboy
    Participant

Update –

Another update for Yosemite appeared today – so i installed that.
    Then, I removed all installations of Pro Tools (had 10 and 11 both).
    Next I uninstalled EZ Drummer Demo
    Re-Installed Pro Tools 11.3
    Re-Installed EZ Drummer Demo
    Ran Pro Tools

The services that were once showing up in Activity Monitor as “not responding” were no longer unresponsive. I thought that might be a good sign.. but…

as soon as i tried to insert EZ Drummer on an instrument track – CRASH !

I have attached the crash log from Pro Tools (compressed)

Olof

I can’t see any attachment? A zip file should work.

Coder

variantboy
    Participant

Just tried uploading the crash file again. Let me know if you can see that. thanks.

Olof

Yes, thanks. I’ll investigate.

Coder

Olof

It did not give any clear indication what caused the crash but there is a hint that it may have something to do with loading of user presets. Perhaps you could navigate to “~/Library/Application Support/Toontrack/EZdrummer” (you can use “Go to Folder” in Finder’s “Go” menu because Library is hidden) and see if it helps if you temporarily move away or rename the folders UserPresets and PresetsEZX – or even that whole EZdrummer folder.

Coder

variantboy
    Participant

I just tried that – and it did not solve the problem. I can’t for the life of me understand this. the stand-alone app works fine, and the plugin for Logic works (I’m not a logic user). Need this to work in Pro Tools and unfortunately don’t have the time to spend on the I.T. investigation. bummer.

could this be a physical memory error ? is 4GB enough for pro tools + ezdrummer ?

i just tried loading ableton live as an instrument and got the error :

“the plugin could not be made active” and something about an AAE error.

hmm… is it possible this is the same problem, but the two products simply report it in a different way ?

variantboy
    Participant

no longer having the problem with the ableton plugin – but still having the problem with ez drummer demo – i have been consulting the avid message board as well as the one here. I have reinstalled operating systems, uninstalled and reinstalled pro tools, uninstalled and re-installed ez drummer, trashed preferences, removed all third party plugins…

nothing is working.

on the premise that it might be an insufficient memory problem – i pull up activity monitor and reproduce the problem – there are no memory spikes in the memory pressure monitor and i don’t see any “grabs” for memory in the process list… no cpu overload or any evidence that the simple insertion of the ez drummer instrument on an instrument track is causing a significant resource drain.

is it time for me to just give up on toontrack ?

variantboy
    Participant

One more experiment –

downloaded a demo of XLN Addictive drums – and it works fine. Very curious. So many variables in this equation it’s hard to know which piece of the puzzle is the root cause. For now I guess i will have to forego the impressive sounds I heard in EZ drummer. Hopefully someone else will have this experience and determine what could be the cause. I liked what i heard in those demos enough to check back and see if i can make use of the product.

eufemistic
    Participant

I am having this exact same issue. Just downloaded the EZDrummer 2 demo (which took 1 hour!), opened up protools (11.1) and then tried to use it on a pre-existing track and it crashed. I did this a few times and the same thing happened every time. I then tried opening a brand new session, just in case, and it also crashed when I tried to select the EX Drummer demo as an instrument.

How should I give you the crash report? The attachment uploader is giving me a file extension error (a .crash file).

Thanks.
    E

eufemistic
    Participant

System info:
    iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
    Processor 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB
    Software OS X 10.9.5 (13F1077)

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac14,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 16 GB
    Boot ROM Version: IM142.0118.B00

Nikita Shatenev
    Participant

Same issue. crashed every time Cry
    EZDrummer 2 demo
    Protools 12
    iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
    Yosemite 10.10.3

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.