Up to 20% off all individual MIDI packs for drums, EZkeys and EZbass!*

Up to 20% off all individual MIDI packs for drums, EZkeys and EZbass!*

Up to 20% off all individual MIDI packs for drums, EZkeys and EZbass!*

Yamaha DTXPRESS IV Special kit & S2.0?

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Spectacle
    Participant

I have the Yamaha DTXpress IV Special kit, and I use it every day with S2.0 and C&V, and it is fantastic. I love the rubber pads – so expressive. Snare and toms are just amazing, and I like the natural swing of the cymbals — especially the three-zones. I also like the hi-hat being on a real hi-hat stand like this. It feels totally like playing an acoustic hi-hat.

When you set it up, just put your Yamaha brain’s trigger setup on SP Dyna (SHIFT+ DRUM KIT –pg. 14 of the manual), and you’ll have all the expression you need. And I’ve had no problems with crosstalk at all. Hi-hat settings, if you want to adjust them, are detailed on pg. 16 of the manual.

If you have trouble with hi-hat mapping for some reason, the numbers you should be assigning are 22, 26, 42, and 46, or however you like to play. And I made a user kit on the brain’s kit #51 or 52 so that I could assign different pads to different cymbals in S2.0.

But for me overall, the kit was just plug-n-play. And for S2.0 and C&V, I go MIDI out from the kit’s brain to the MIDI in of my Alesis ControlPad (giving me 8 more pads just to the left of my hi-hat). Then the kit and ControlPad go through USB straight into my Mac, and Logic Studio is my DAW. Really an amazing combination.

Best of luck with it!

batsperm
    Participant

Thank you very much for the info.  I really appreciate it.  My kit and S2 are arriving tomorrow.  I can’t freaking wait.  I love my acoustic kit but it will be nice to have a practice kit too.

I might hit you up for advice if I get stuck.  However, it sounds like I’m good to go.

batsperm
    Participant

I know this is a little off topic but how seemlessly does C&V and S1 intergrate into S2?

Spectacle
    Participant

I don’t have S1, but C&V sounds great, and works wonderfully in S2.0.

The only complaint is much longer load times for non-S2.0 samples like C&V, since they don’t take advantage of Toontrack’s new file compression. It takes a minute for a full 1.3 GB kit instead of ten seconds with a similar-sized 2.0 Avatar kit. But that’s no big deal. I just click on my kit or project, and then go pour my coffee, come back and play.

Enjoy your new set-up!

batsperm
    Participant

This kit and brain integrate quite well with S2.  The response from visitors to our studio is “jawdropping”.  They can’t believe how good it sounds.  I still need to do some tweaking but it sounds really freaking good right now.

dwdrumz
    Participant

Spectacle–can you tell me more about your experience with the DTXpress 4 and S2?  Do you have the V1 or the V2 kit?  I am interested to know how you like the hi-hat capabilities and the cymbals (swells…choking…the ride playability) when used with S2.  How about the 3 zone snare pad?

This kit seems like a lot of bang for the buck.  Thanks for your time.

Kaevelson
    Participant

Yeah I would really want to know that too Spectacle..
    I’m thinking about getting that kit, but I’ve read somewhere cymbal chokes are simply not possible with a Yamaha module, is that right??
    Because that would be the only thing the DTXpress 4 couldn’t do with S2.0…

metaltyme
    Participant

Greetings…

The Yamaha DTXpress IV Special is fully capable of cymbal chokes with the 3-zone pad inputs.  I have not yet integrated the kit to SD2, but I intend to this weekend.  As far as a standalone kit though, this kit feels pretty damn natural!  I was really skepticle about its playability and such but was re-assured right out of the box.  For the price, you get a lot of bang for the buck in features and solid performance.  It certainly doesn’t even come close to feeling like a toy.  I highly recommend this kit!

Cheers!

CJ

ventura33
    Participant

friend pleuse help me ! i have the same drum yamaha DTXPress IV with superior drummer
    were i can find a midi file ou mapping made for my drum ? because my drum have 3 zones and i dont understand
    nothing about computers, if possible someone help me were i can find a file to import to superior drumer with the mapping to yamaha dtxpressIV with 3 zones !

thanks friends!

from Portugal

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.