Why no Tap To Find in Superior Drummer?

Studio Corner
Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Scott Brown
    Participant

No Tap To Find!?!….
    AND
    No Song Builder?!?!?
    I grabbed an adult beverage and was ready to dig in to my newly purchased upgrade from EZ Drummer2 to Superior Drummer 2.0…I was excited about all of the wonderful options I was going to have to sift through in order to find some killer grooves to start replacing my old boring drum machine tracks with!

Then reality set in.

I guess I’m confused by semantics.

My education tells me that the word ‘Superior’ trumps the abbreviation EZ…especially since Superior is actually spelled out in a cool, chrome font and EZ is spelled simply EZ using a ‘hope to kind of impress you’ italicized, capitalized block font.

So…why is Superior Drummer 2.0 superior to EZDrummer2?

Or was I simply fooled by clever marketing?

Scott

@ScottFB said:

No Tap To Find!?!….
    AND
    No Song Builder?!?!?
    I grabbed an adult beverage and was ready to dig in to my newly purchased upgrade from EZ Drummer2 to Superior Drummer 2.0…I was excited about all of the wonderful options I was going to have to sift through in order to find some killer grooves to start replacing my old boring drum machine tracks with!

Then reality set in.

My education tells me that the word ‘Superior’ trumps the abbreviation EZ…especially since Superior is actually spelled out in a cool, chrome font and EZ is spelled simply EZ using a ‘hope to kind of impress you’ italicized, capitalized block font.

http://www.toontrack.com/faq/what-is-the-difference-between-ezdrummer-2-and-superior-drummer-2/

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Aurotonal
    Participant

@ScottFB said:

No Tap To Find!?!….
    AND
    No Song Builder?!?!?

Then reality set in.

Nice reply from Toontrack. The answer you’re looking for is that there are no reasons other than trying to force you to buy both products. I’ve had Superior from the start and like just about every other owner I fully expected an update with those features long ago when ez2 came out. After countless emails about gimmicky products and updates to everything but Superior I note that as of a few days ago they’re letting me know about how there’s tutorials for Superior on the website…gee, thanks. This coincides with their take on NI’s Service Centre which seems redundant but is clearly there to catch out anyone with pirated libraries. Absolutely fair enough but already someone has reported an issue with legit libraries and been told to fix it with a command line prompt!! Not only that but it was the wrong line and the client had to correct it. I love the library but I’m weirded out by the lack of love for SD2 adopters and the arrogance of the reps such as in this case. Rude and unprofessional. Logic’s free Drummer keeps getting better and better. Hope this was more helpful than the rudely dropped link.

Scott

@bloodychoir said:

@ScottFB said:

No Tap To Find!?!….
    AND
    No Song Builder?!?!?

Then reality set in.

Nice reply from Toontrack. The answer you’re looking for is that there are no reasons other than trying to force you to buy both products. I’ve had Superior from the start and like just about every other owner I fully expected an update with those features long ago when ez2 came out. After countless emails about gimmicky products and updates to everything but Superior I note that as of a few days ago they’re letting me know about how there’s tutorials for Superior on the website…gee, thanks. This coincides with their take on NI’s Service Centre which seems redundant but is clearly there to catch out anyone with pirated libraries. Absolutely fair enough but already someone has reported an issue with legit libraries and been told to fix it with a command line prompt!! Not only that but it was the wrong line and the client had to correct it. I love the library but I’m weirded out by the lack of love for SD2 adopters and the arrogance of the reps such as in this case. Rude and unprofessional. Logic’s free Drummer keeps getting better and better. Hope this was more helpful than the rudely dropped link.

My FAQ link perfectly described the differences between the two product lines as ScottFB was asking about. How was it rude? Did it not answer the questions? How is replying with a link to a FAQ that clearly answers a user’s question rude?

It is not Toontrack’s policy to discuss future product development. It has been said many times as such on this forum. We forum Tech Advisors work for Toontrack and are under an NDA. We can’t discuss development of Toontrack products regardless of how snarky the requests are.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Les Barker
    Participant

i don;t have any of the above issues, but why is it that TT do not talk about future ideas/releases.

Get your customers excited! Let customers decide whether they need to go to a competitor to get something they are looking for, or perhaps wait and see what one of their favourite providers (TT) end up delivering for something they have had in the pipeline for some time.

I don’t get the benefit of secrecy to your customers, let alone your loyal ones?

Scott

@Barksy said:

i don;t have any of the above issues, but why is it that TT do not talk about future ideas/releases.

Get your customers excited! Let customers decide whether they need to go to a competitor to get something they are looking for, or perhaps wait and see what one of their favourite providers (TT) end up delivering for something they have had in the pipeline for some time.

I don’t get the benefit of secrecy to your customers, let alone your loyal ones?

There was a time that Toontrack did talk about future stuff. Then, when they didn’t meet deadlines, they got blasted for it. They then adopted the current policy. Rightfully so, IMHO.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Scott Eshleman
    Participant

@Barksy said:

There are a number of factors by which any company will choose to release product information
    …and many more for a software publishing company in a highly competitive industry segment.
    There may also be investor-based reasons for the timing of such announcements.
    Suggesting or Hyping future products with no specific release date (vaporware) is probably scrutinized by investment governing bodies.

If you need an example of a company who announced a product update, missed its date (and still hasn’t released the update),
    please take a trip over to the Metric Halo forums and search for ‘3d card’….
    See how their customers have turned on them; regardless of how great the ULN-8 & LIO-8 products are without the 3d card.

Les Barker
    Participant

ok, fair enough. I guess i haven’t come across that a lot myself. I’m just being selfish and telling you what I would like 🙂

Andrea Britton
    Participant

4 years later and SD2 STILL does not have Tap2Find or Song Builder.  I guess you didn’t think that was important.  I think people are correct when they ask tech support why the entry level product, EZDrummer 2, which is significantly less expensive than SD2 or SD3, has the functionality we need but the more expensive products don’t.  I’ve never had anyone from Apple (supplier of my DAW and all my other VSTs and other plug-ins) tell me they were under an NDA and not allowed to discuss any features or possible features in their products.  They are more than excited to tell us what is coming and they are also usually pretty happy to have us suggest things we’d like to see.

Where is the incentive to purchase SD3 when the old entry level EZDrummer has the two functions we non-drummers need?

I’m just asking that you in tech support consider we spend a ton of money on our DAWs and plug-ins, and I think we deserve answers other than you telling us that you are under an NDA not to discuss anything.

John

Hi Andrea,

Superior Drummer 2 was discontinued 3,5 years ago with the release of Superior Drummer 3, which indeed has got Tap2Find (among a plethora of things SD2 did not).

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.