We NEED linux support!

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • douglas
    Participant

One more vote for a Linux version. Now that Reaper has a Linux version, I can envision myself on a Linux platform.

Thanked by: Beek
    apocaloptimisto
    Participant

Another exclusive Linux user here. Not only are Windows and Mac too unstable and automatic for me to tolerate, I think the companies themselves are highly unethical and refuse to do business with them. EZDrummer looks like exactly what I need though.

Virgil Breeden
    Participant

I would also like to toss a request for Linux support in the hat. It was recently uncovered that Microsoft will be migrating Windows 10 to a Desktop as a Service (DAAS) model, and I can only imagine that will not play well with low latency audio requirements. Add to that the problems we have been seeing with Apple’s latest Macbook Pros (kernel panics caused by the T2 chip, thermal throttling, etc), coupled with their high prices and incapability of data recovery in the event of a hardware failure (also because of the T2 chip), and Linux starts to look like the most viable audio production environment.

Jostein
    Participant

Here’s more news about vendors that jump on the Linux bandwagon: -Sonarworks has released their Reference Plugin for 64 bit Linux!

Despite massive silence from Toontrack when it comes to Linux, I still wonder if I should upgrade or not. SD2 is still running as a charm on my Linux system, so I’m not in a hurry yet.

MattSteeljaw
    Participant

One more vote for native linux support.

leighelse
    Participant

I have EZDrummer2 and find it most useful. I have a dual boot computer and work in Linux 90% of the time.

There are only two reasons I boot into Windows; one is a heritage software application I support and very occasionally need to tweak and rebuild. The other is making music in Reaper.

Windows 10 is not my friend. Every time I boot up it insists on installing updates, and then hogs internet bandwidth and CPU until it thinks it’s finished. Two days ago a ten minute remix took more than half an hour because when I logged in I had to wait for Windows to install a previous download, wait until it had finished downloading the next update before I could start work, then wait again when I logged out while it did the first stage of installing that new update. That update cycle and the unexpected consequences to drivers and file permissions is the reason I’m now keen to move music production away from Windows as soon as possible. The pain wasn’t so bad with previous versions of Windows.

I’ve decided I’ll bite a few bullets and move music production to Reaper on Linux. If, as posts in this forum topic suggest, it’s possible to use commercial VST plugins under Wine I’ll go down that route, but the pain of using Windows is now such that if a licensed plugin won’t work for me in Linux I’ll replace it with the next best option. It’s not ideal, and I have a considerable investment in plugin licenses, but I can’t go on the way things are. I do hope I’ll still be able to use EZDrummer2!

I’d like to be able to offer to help port plugins to Linux, but I’m too busy (hence less than 10% of my time making music). When I retire in a couple of years I’d definitely be willing to help. In between making music, of course!

Jan Feld
    Participant

One more vote for SD3 on Linux!

I managed to get SD3 Running with Ardour 5.12.7 on an Arch-Linux 5.18.16 with JACK2, Cadence and airwave as an WinVST-Wrapper. Wine for installation and Standalone.

It runs smoothly when wrapped with airwave but in Standalone-Mode via Wine i have very high latency.

A native Linux build would be great! Then we would have the opportunity to use SD3 in Standalone-Mode with E-Drums on live-performances! I think a native build would increase the stability as well as the usability on Linux! I couldn’t get Superior Drummer 3 running with Reaper for Linux.

Best regards,

Smokehead

cristi m
    Participant

I would love also to have a port of EZDrummer. Using it with some glitches in Linux through airwave VST host in Bitwig, but it’s far from a perfect experience. With all the inconveniences caused by Wine, it is still better than the Windows experience.

Ben Chase
    Participant

+1 for native linux, LV2 ideally

regarding support, please dont let that stop you Toontrack,

for the first few years we’d be happy with a “beta” version (like what Reaper is doing) and let the community support it.

lucas galutia
    Participant

Hello,

make that one more person who is needing a linux version of either easy drummer, or superior drummer on ubuntustudio.

i am making the shift away from the mac / logic platform and migrating to ubuntustudio LTS 18.04. the issue has become, that i have a mac pro older than 2010, which newer version of MacOS officially will not longer support. this means that my time and use of logic pro is now dated to when they stop making updates for el capitan. my greatest fear is  logic will stop working all together, which is why i am switching on my second mac pro (2009) to Ubuntu studio, and probably either Reaper, or Bitwig, or both – since Reaper is cheap ($60) and then get Bitwig when more money is available. i have been looking at easy drummer for my next album in planning after the one i am working on now. its great that easy drummer 2 works in wine, however, it would really be worth my money if it was native on ubuntustudio. please note, ubuntustudio is a solid platform. ubuntu is not going anywhere, and they are an industry standard in IT. just like Microsoft and apple. Also note – UbuntuStudio LTS editions have a 5 year support period for long term support and is an *Offical* ubuntu release, tied to their LTS support. it would be even better if toontrack can port superior drummer to ubuntustudio. i would TOTALLY buy that. i am glad i found this post feed as i was about to email toontrack about this issue lol. looks like you all have beat me to the punch on this. great request!

thanks

• El Diablo Ramon

leighelse
    Participant

To update my situation. I’ve moved all my tracking to Linux using the “experimental” Linux build of Reaper, which so far has worked 100%, and with less CPU than Windows. All my USB-connected outboard gear (DAC, MIDI) works without a hitch under Linux too.

I’ve installed EZDrummer 2 in Wine. This didn’t go entirely smoothly as I used an older product manager and its attempts to upgrade itself failed. I occasionally get error messages in the EZDrummer plugin saying some features are unavailable. But it works!

I’m finding tracking in Linux much more productive than Windows, paradoxically because I don’t have most of my commercial plugins. I’ve discovered that as long as I have EZDrummer I have all I really need. I either mix down in Windows or get someone else to mix my tracks for me – it’s not a bad idea to get a fresh pair of ears at that point anyway.

It would be nice to have a Linux version of the product manager and not have to use Wine. Even a command-line tool to handle licensing would be fine, and arguably a better investment as it would work with all flavours of Linux.

So thank you for a great product, Toontrack. I’m hoping you can make it even greater by making Linux installation and licensing smoother.

douglas
    Participant

I’ve installed EZDrummer 2 in Wine. This didn’t go entirely smoothly as I used an older product manager and its attempts to upgrade itself failed. I occasionally get error messages in the EZDrummer plugin saying some features are unavailable. But it works!

Hi Leigh:

Did you get the Toontrack product manager to work in Wine eventually or was some work-around required?

I just got a new PC and, although it came preloaded with Windows 10, I’d love to ditch Windows and just run Linux.  I’m a Reaper user so I’m all set in that department but setting up Superior Drummer 3 is critical for me.

leighelse
    Participant

Toontrack Product Manager worked fine in Wine from the outset. The only issue was that I was using an older version, and it tied itself in knots trying to download and update to the newer version. The only other required step was to run the VSTs through a conversion utility whose name I can’t remember. I think it’s commonly used when moving plugins to Linux.

Certainly the drums work fine; I’ve used them on a couple of tracks now.

At some point I will download and attempt to install the latest Toontrack Product Manager and go through the process again, as I get warnings when opening a new project that “not all EZDrummer features are available” and suggesting I run Toontrack Product Manager, which then tries to download and install a newer version of itself, taking me back to the same initial pain point.

I would suggest first setting up a dual boot environment to test Superior Drummer 3 on your preferred Linux distro (I’m using Mint). That way you’ll have confidence when you pull the plug on Windows.

Best wishes,

::Leigh

• This post was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by leighelse.
    douglas
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did a bit more digging and, if I’m understanding correctly, the Toontrack Product Manager is not actually required to download or authorize Superior.

The dual boot system is probably what I’ll end up doing for now.  I’ve been using dual boot on my office computer but I always find myself back in Windows because there are one or two little Windows apps that I like to use and I’m too busy or lazy to find the Linux equivalents, which surely exist.  The same thing would apply to many of the Windows VSTs that I’ve come to know and love.  Some of them will work with Wine, no doubt but, then, Lazy Me says “Oh, it’s too much hassle trying to get all that to work.  Just use Windows….”   And, so it goes…..  (I’m getting tired just thinking about it. LOL.)

If I was to go “all in” on Linux, then I’d be forced to adapt.

Time will tell…..

Jan Feld
    Participant

The biggest issue i’ve experienced are not properly working GUIs. Toontrack products (EZDrummer, Superior Drummer and EZMix work fine with WINE/Carla with wine-bridge. I’m using Reaper as welll and couldn’t say it wont work. The only “issue” with wrapped/non-native plugins is more clicking until you reach the GUI (in general two clicks more, bz they sum up…). But the benefits of using Linux are great (at least for me..)

• This post was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Jan Feld.
Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.