Up to 20% off all individual MIDI packs for drums, EZkeys and EZbass!*

Up to 20% off all individual MIDI packs for drums, EZkeys and EZbass!*

Up to 20% off all individual MIDI packs for drums, EZkeys and EZbass!*

They kept this one quiet….

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mark King
    Participant

Very interesting. Looks a bit short on memory though. Still haven’t seen anything that offers a significant improvement over my ddrum4. Probably since I wouldn’t consider edrums for live playing so my ekit is used as triggers only. I thought the 2box kit loked interesting but again for my use didn’t offer that much more.

SD3 with older sdx,s plus Rooms of Hansa and Death & Darkness. Cubase and wavelab current versions. Roland TD50x using all trigger inputs for triggering SD3 only. Windows 11 computer. Various keyboards and outboard gear as well as VST instruments. Acoustic drums: Yamaha 9000 natural wood and Pearl masters. Various snare drums. RME BabyFace Pro FS and Adam A7X monitors

Dave Modisette
    Participant

That looks like a nice product.

Dave Modisette www.gatortraks.com www.plasticsamerica.com http://www.gatortraks.com/forum

Whitten
    Participant

In the Joey Jordison clip the sounds aren’t that good IMO, not as good as software drums such as Superior.
    It could be just the clip though, although you’d think they’d want to showcase it in the best light.
    Also, I’m not convinced about the realistic dimensions.
    I mean one of the redeeming aspects of a v-drum kit is the portability and storage space savings.
    If I want to lug around bigger sizes and wood shells, I think I’ll choose real drums thank you.

I hope this is a killer product ’cause I’m dying to jump into a realistic sounding v-drum product.

Scott

My first thought was, ‘128 megs of RAM’…are you kidding?

I don’t know. It just sounds, well, way too 1997 or something.

My second thought was, ‘if this thing is called ePro Live, who would choose these big ol’ drums over an acoustic kit?’

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Juicy
    Participant

Usually a real kit in a bar room gig setting just rocks out and sounds more raw and vibey.With this kit you could just say lets go Unplugged 2nite.And back in the studio have the ultimate midi input device you could ever play,lets face it,the natural feel must be deluxe or uncanny and close to playing the real thing

This idea could b the bomb.Time will tell

Dave Modisette
    Participant

I don’t expect to see them in bars but I’d expect to eventually see them in churchs all over the USA. I just forwarded the web address to our drummer and he was pretty excited about it.

The “drop-in” electronic drum head cartridge idea is something that I was considering manufacturing here at my company. You simply replace the top head of your existing drums with the e-pad trigger cartridge and plug it into your drum brain. Problem is, there was someone who had already beat me to the idea and it didn’t look like they were doing that well with it so I lost interest in it.

Dave Modisette www.gatortraks.com www.plasticsamerica.com http://www.gatortraks.com/forum

Irish916
    Participant

I think this is a great idea if it’s priced right.  With the cost of many of these e-kits being in the several thousand dollar range, it would be imperative that Pearl price the product agressively to compete.

What’s interesting is that they appear to be using the new Alesis DM-10 module. They’ve just refaced it and rebranded it. Check it out:
    http://www.hellfiredrums.com/archives/799

I can’t wait until Alesis boxes this module by itself. While it may not contain all of the positional sensing that Roland has provided, it is packed with features that e-drum sampler players will love.  The word is that it will probably sell for under $600 US, so I can’t wait!!

Juicy
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Dave Modisette
    I don’t expect to see them in bars but I’d expect to eventually see them in churchs all over the USA.

I dont either cause thats where a real kit in a room just sounds huge i was comparing and drawing a parallel between the normal electro kits and acoustic kits.a

godprobe
    Participant

idea/goals/construction(?): cool — *very* cool

onboard sounds: ick — *very* ick

presenter: kinda odd, but i do prefer when it sounds like a person who’s really on the project rather than a slick advertiser

and… it’s a pity they didn’t demo a more generic Toontrack kit (“Tight Kit” at 7:45 in the vid) — the tight preset already has a predilection towards sounding “electronic” — though it definitely sounded *much* better than the onboard samples

i also get the sense that there’s no bleed into other virtual mics — maybe it does and i just can’t hear it on the video though.

in any case… looking forward to seeing it in shops — if the sound part is easily overcome by running it through something like Toontrack’s libs via MIDI, then it looks cool to me.

WinXP | Fireface 800 | Variax | Axe-Fx | Toontrack | Komplete | Reaper http://www.godprobe.com/projects/notemaps/

Scott

Well, I would assume that the ‘Tight Kit’ is some stripped down version of EZdrummer’s Pop/Rock kit to make it fit in 128mb of RAM. I don’t know for certain. Imagine if they cowboyed up and threw in 512mb of RAM…

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Whitten
    Participant

In the end we’re still waiting for the v-drum makers to match the quality of sound offered by the software suppliers like Toontrack, Platinum, XLN Audio etc….
    You can buy a pretty convincing sampled piano by Kurzweil, but apparently not drums.
    With a typical Toontrack sample set coming in at much less than $500 it shouldn’t be that expensive to do.

I hope I’m wrong, as I couldn’t be more pleased to see a new v-drum option make it onto the market.

Mark Farrell
    Participant

Im quite happy to see these guys continue to release crappy sound modules, keeps Toontrack out in front. Agree with you chris the joey jordison bit is a bit, well erm, embarrassing? Those cymbals? horrible.

Im still planing to convert my old mapex mars pro into an electric kit using mesh heads, vdrum triggers and smartrigger brass cymbals. Im gonna re-wrap my shells in a chrome mirror finish and ill be happy. The TD20 can stay in the home studio, the acoustic electric will go live.
    No matter how good the TD20 is, its just so unsexy on stage, I love real dimensions, my 8″ tom is just so beautiful, with its old tube lugs, hate having no dimensions on the TD20.

This pearl elive kit is maybe a step in the right direction, but it doesnt get my vote.
    Each to their own i suppose!

megapeng
    Participant

the best so far ,i`ve seen is DRUM-TEC`s as they are using normal stands for the toms
    (rebound) and besides it looks better-racks are for eighties wig wearing stadium rockers
    sadly i d rather spend a winter in mexico instead of spending the money on IT
    BUT I`LL BE RICH I KNOW IT
    the “big” one (with td 20) is around 8000us although
    one can buy the shells only see here http://www.drum-tec.de/drumtec-pro-series-sapeli-shell-set-black-finish-p-1067.html?language=en
    and they must be real drummers coz its 5 years warranty none of this lifetime blahblah

http://www.drum-tec.de/sets-drumtec-c-79_113.html

cheers
    Workstation : i7 3770,16gig ram win 8.1
    Laptop : i7-9750H, ConceptD CN715-71, 32gig ram win 10 Pro
    Allen and Heath D live and Sq 7 / Dante / BabyfacePro
    Samplitude Pro x 5 Suite / Gigperformer4 / Pianoteq Standard 7 / SD3 drummer Toontrack / Arturia V5 Collection /
    Pearl Mimic Pro / Drum Tec Shells / Roland Cymbals / ATV optical Hats /Arturia Keylab 49 MK2

Damian Blunt

I like the look of the drum-tec stuff….I would assume that they know what to look for regarding triggering performance as they’ve been selling Roland and Hart etc for ages…..big price though

Damian Blunt - Toontrack
    Quality Assurance
    Betatesting

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.