Superior drummer 3 snappy snare sound

Studio Corner
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Erik
    Participant

Hey 6StringChug!

If you’re entirely new to drum mixing, there are a ton of videos about Superior Drummer 3 on Youtube to help you out, both from us here at Toontrack (including a “How to…” series) and other users.

If you have some experience, I think this’ll get you off the ground and on the path to greatness:
    Recreating the “Black Album” drum sound with Superior Drummer 3

Remember to also try out all of the presets included in Superior 3 for more inspiration. In the mixer tab you can see where and how each preset sends and processes its snare microphone signal, and you can copy and save both Channel Effects as well as user presets within each of the different mixer effects.

Erik Berglund — Toontrack

Bear-Faced Cow
    Participant

Just to add to the above, if you’re finding a snare that has the snap you’re after but lacks the low end, find another snare you like that has the low end you’re looking for and stack it on top of the other and blend to taste.

jord

Jordan L. Chilcott

Web Site: https://jordanchilcottmusic.com/

6StringChug
    Participant

Many Thanks Erik,

that was super helpful. To be honest, the Man of Sand Preset has from day one been by favorite one. I just managed to make the snare a tad more snappy than in the original preset.

Is it possible to copy only the snare stack from the man of sand preset into another preset?

Many thanks!

Erik
    Participant

Hello again,

You can right-click the drum you want to save, select More -> User Instruments -> Save As... and you’re all set. This saves the entire stack of drums.

The reason I didn’t begin with “That’s easy!”, is that you need to check instrument routings (if you load the drums to a different library), save the mixer channel effects in the mixer tab for all the compressors, eq, reverbs, etc. You also need to manually add bus channels and set sends in your custom user preset. That’s 9 + 6 channels in the Man of Sand preset!

Takes some time, but you’re crafting the drums of your dreams and that has to be worth the effort : )

Remember that you can both save your drum set within a project, as well as a preset.

Erik Berglund — Toontrack

6StringChug
    Participant

OK, I get it – in addition to the stack itself which can be copy/pasted rather easy, it is all the mixer settings for the entire stack I am willing to move that I have to re-build in the new preset. Makes sense as these settings particular make a huge chunk of the processed sound.

I’ll manage, I hope. Being a newbie, this seems to be a great exercise for me to become familiar with the software and its endless possibilities.

The presets are great and mainly a good starting point to Frankenstein an individual kit.

Frederic Lavoie
    Participant

Hey, can you update this thread with how you’ve done? Were you able to get a drum sound as punchy as they video you posted?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.