Four amazing deals,
this weekend only!

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Superior 3 with Roland Edrums Latency ?

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 5 replies - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Scott Eshleman
    Participant

The USB2 connection could be the “bottleneck”, slowing up the back-and-forth communication.
    I seem to recall that USB2 is not simultaneous bi-directional communication.
    I do not think that it can communicate back-and-forth between your interface and your communication simultaneously,
    like Firewire & Thunderbolt communication protocols do.

Lukas Grumet
    Participant

To all the TD-30 owners: Try connecting your Sound Module to your Computer via the USB port. (directly, not via an external interface). Fire up SD3, Open the Audio Midi settings. Select the TD30 as your midi device (make sure you’ve enabled midi usb in your TD30 module settings), AND select the TD30 as your audio (ASIO) device.
    voila. no latency or whatsoever. I don’t know why I didn’t try this in the first run!
    the td30 also comes with a nifty ASIO driver with some settings to play with. just hit the ASIO button under audio device in SD3.

megapeng
    Participant

turning the internal roland sounds off helps as well with latencie (td 20x here)

cheers
    Workstation : i7 3770,16gig ram win 8.1
    Laptop : i7-9750H, ConceptD CN715-71, 32gig ram win 10 Pro
    Allen and Heath D live and Sq 7 / Dante / BabyfacePro
    Samplitude Pro x 5 Suite / Gigperformer4 / Pianoteq Standard 7 / SD3 drummer Toontrack / Arturia V5 Collection /
    Pearl Mimic Pro / Drum Tec Shells / Roland Cymbals / ATV optical Hats /Arturia Keylab 49 MK2

jon_110
    Participant

@Erwin said:
    Just my feedback about your original Roland question and latency:
    I’ve a Roland TD12 as well with RME Fireface 802 audio interface (Firewire). I use Windows with Reaper and SD3 samples located on a normal 7200rpm harddisk, Intel Core I7.

My smallest possible buffer size is 64 Samples on 48kHz sample rate and no clicks and pops with SD3, but never tried this with SD2. This is similar to:
    Output latency: 2.8ms
    Buffer latency: 1.0ms
    This is extremely good compared with other audio software which requires most of the times larger buffer sizes.

SD3Latency.png

In a normal recording setup I always use 128 samples, 48kHz in Reaper with SD2 or SD3. Then it is also possible to add additional effects outside SD. This is similar to:
    Output latency: 4.8ms
    Buffer latency: 2.7ms

To be honest, I don’t hear/feel the difference between 64 or 128 samples.

For mastering I always use high buffer sizes such as 1024 samples where latency does not make sense.

My conclusion:

– SD3 has a very good performance and impossible to hear latency which makes it ideal for E-Drum recordings and playing live.
    – An SSD decreases loading time at startup compared with a HD, but has no effect on playing when it’s loaded in RAM.
    – Additionally, the whole repsonse of the kits in SD3 is much better, including the HH control. The dynamic range of the new kits is much better, even with a clean kit without any effects. I wish SD3 was 10 years earlier available.

I can’t say anything about MAC. Maybe this is helpful for others… Wink  

This is extremely helpful .. I’m guessing you are going MIDI out. I always thought that midi out to interface would be slow but guess not. Like you I’m on a win machine as well. I found one midi to USB 3.0 zoom uac 2 ( I have usb 3.0 inputs on computer ) . I really don’t know if ( midi out -> interface that supports usb 3.0-> computer ) is faster than ( midi usb 2.0 out -> interface that supports usb 3.0 – > computer ). I know usb 2.0 goes through some kind of processing before a send and when a receive occurs ( I don’t think it’s error checking ) so I dunno ..

POHSTD
    Participant

Hi guys!

since you’re experienced with multiple midi-sources I would really appreciate some input to my question below.

I have built a large “Nico McBrain-style”-kit based on 3 Roland V-drum kits (TD15, TD11, TD4). As you can imagine the sound quality is anything but superior.
    So I thought I could buy SD3 and connect all of the modules to the computer via USB-USB or midi-USB cables.
    However, I would like to know that this will work or if I first need to buy different drum modules.
    I will really appreciate your answers on this!

Peter

Viewing 5 replies - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.