Snare ring

Studio Corner
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • redlogic
    Participant

Try inserting the Sonalksis Transient plug-in and dialing down the sustain parameter.

Macmini 2019 3.2 GHz 6-Core i7, 32GB RAM, MacOS 10.15.2, LogicProX 10.4.8, FF400, UAD2 Satellite Octo

Scott

Turn on the Envelope for the snare and lessen the sample length until the ring is lessened.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Damian Blunt

Or use the muted articulation

Damian Blunt - Toontrack
    Quality Assurance
    Betatesting

pagan1n1
    Participant

Another option is to EQ out that ring with a very tight dip at that freq. I would bus the snare out to a channel in your DAW and insert an EQ.  Then, in order to find our nasty ring freq, take one band, give it a very high Q (so the EQ looks like a very sharp peak) and turn up the gain on that band really high.  Now, while the snare is playing, sweep the EQ slowly through the frequency spectrum until you really hear the ring get extremely loud.  Once you find that sweet spot, just bring the gain way down.  You may have to do this for a few frequencies before you get rid of all the ring. By doing this, you are only affecting those very specific frequencies as opposed to doing a big cut in your mids, which will cut out a lot more than just the ring.
    I attached a screenshot of the EQ I used on the Black Beauty to kill the ring.  Hope this helps.

Austin66
    Participant

These sounds work OK for a Drummer performing a Drum Solo but in a recorded production (back beat) I find they don’t cut through the overall sound of the entire kit. I’ve tried to turn them up & EQing them but they get sounding clunky. I don’t know if this description helps but that’s as close as I can come to describe the sound.

angie55
    Participant

Then, in order to find our nasty ring freq, take one band, give it a very high Q (so the EQ looks like a very sharp peak) and turn up the gain on that band really high.  Now, while the snare is playing, sweep the EQ slowly through the frequency spectrum until you really hear the ring get extremely loud.  Once you find that sweet spot, just bring the gain way down. krogerfeedback

• This post was modified 5 years ago by angie55.
    Bear-Faced Cow
    Participant

These sounds work OK for a Drummer performing a Drum Solo but in a recorded production (back beat) I find they don’t cut through the overall sound of the entire kit. I’ve tried to turn them up & EQing them but they get sounding clunky. I don’t know if this description helps but that’s as close as I can come to describe the sound.

Chances are in this case is that something else is competing with it and masking it out. In that case, you would have to do a cut in the masking frequency of the offending track. I would route the kit pieces to separate outputs in my DAW and then run something like Izotope Neutron on all of the suspect tracks to find the offending track and EQ it from there.

jord

Jordan L. Chilcott

Web Site: https://jordanchilcottmusic.com/

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.