Four amazing deals,
this weekend only!

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

SDX for Phil Collins : opinions ?,nd

Superior Drummer 3 Pre-sales
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Rainer Hain
    Participant

Are you talking of the Hitmaker SDX?

If so, they do have two of the main snares that Phil used over the years. The Premier 2000 was used in the 70s Genesis phase, AFAIK it’s the snare of “Lamb lies down on Broadway”. The 7″ Noble & Cooley was his main snare from late 80s on until the early 90s, much of his work as a session drummer was done with that snare. A good example would be his drumming on Howard Jones’ “No one is to blame”, that’s the sound. He switched to the piccolo snare only much later. If you need that piccolo sound, there is a Yamaha piccolo snare in that SDX that gives pretty much the same sound.

What is missing though is a  6,5″ Ludwig Super Sensitive. That is actually considered THE Collins snare. He used that from the early 70s on (more so than the Premier 2000), from Foxtrott to Duke and Abacab and it’s also the snare on his first two solo albums (think “In the air tonight”). But since the Ludwig Super Sensitive is basically a Supraphonic with a different strainer mechanism you can use the Drum Paradise Hitmaker which is a boutique version of a Ludwig snare. At least that works for me when I’m trying to emulate Phils 80s sound. The Premier 2000 also works well for some of the tracks from “Face value”, maybe he even used it on tracks like “Behind the lines” which sound a bit like it.

The toms actually ARE concert toms, the hitmaker includes the exact type and sizes of Phil’s Premier Kit. They also included a Gretsch Kickdrum because in the late 70s and early 80s Phil went back and fourth between a Premier and a Gretsch Kick. I was pleasently surprised how deep and nerdy they got with picking the right drums for that SDX. That also shows in the Stewart Copeland snares: They not only have that legendary Pearl snare fitted with die cast hoops (like Copeland had), they also have the Tama Kingbeat he used on the first two albums. That snare rarely get’s mentioned when it comes to Police sounds, but it made the early albums and I think it’s phantastic to have that choice.

All around, if you are into the four drummers they try to capture their sound of, then that SDX is the bomb. There is nothing like it on the market currently.

Thanked by: rixa
    mcnarym
    Participant

I have EZdrummer 3 and have been waiting forever for these Phil Collins type sounds to come out as an EZX.  Will you release Hitmaker for use with EZDrummer 3?  I would love to have it if you do.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.