SD2 mixing questions

Studio Corner
Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • throughthesegates
    Participant

Greetings,

I actually take each Mic and Route it to my host and Mix everything in my Host Program rather that in superior drummer mixer. ( Reason Being ) I am new to recording audio mixing and mastering so with doing this you get to play around with everything. I learned so much more in the process of doing it this way. Wanna hear one of my mixes

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/throughthesegates

Anders Hagström
    Participant

ORIGINAL: norrie
    Ok so with all that said it gets me to this question for you all with any pre set and Superior drummer sent to any track in the DAW it will then be in the red and start cliping.

Norrie,
    You can always lower Superiors “master volyme control”, if the presets are overloading your drum bus.
    Leaving a bit of headroom is a good thing to do!

/Anders

norrie
    Participant

I think you missed the point………

What I was geting at was why make pre sets that will clip ? Isnt the whole point in a preset to be that it is actually preset to use out of the box so to speak ?

Ok I know most of us will always tweak presets and use them only as a starting point but haveing a starting point that that clips is well just Sh*t

Toontrack are going down and down and down in my book of go to plugs.

Steven Slate drums is fantastic especially when it comes to useing V drums straight out the box no problems ! SSD FTW !!!!

Windows 7 (64 bit ) Intel I7 930 12GB OCZ Gold Sonar 8.5 Producer VS700r VS700c Superior 2 / MF/NY EZ mix Roland TD-20

norrie
    Participant

I should have added I love Ez Mix for quick mixes its fantastic but SD2 is just a big expensive let down.

Windows 7 (64 bit ) Intel I7 930 12GB OCZ Gold Sonar 8.5 Producer VS700r VS700c Superior 2 / MF/NY EZ mix Roland TD-20

Nathan
    Participant

I can’t speak for the presets, but I don’t think SD is designed to be finished sounds out of the box. There is no EQ and dynamic processing performed on the samples, just the (highly configurable) mic outputs to route to your DAW to do your thing.

I think as a product it’s more aimed at engineers who want to perform their own processing on the sounds, just as they would with tracks from a real kit in a studio. I bought it over EZD for this reason, I dont want someone else to process these sounds, I know what I’m doing here from studio and live recordings and mixing.

I know that SD sounds come alive with decent compressors on them and the room mics, just as I’d expect well-recorded raw drum tracks to do.

I would agree with you that the idea of the presets would be to do much of this for you, and if the preset is designed to go with a particular library or kit within it, finding that the gain structure is wrong would be worrying. Maybe the preset doesn’t control the fader in the mixer; I don’t know as I don’t use them.

I certainly have no complaints about the sounds from SDX libraries, but they will need the expected compression and EQ to make them sparkle, they won’t be like SS out of the box (thank goodness).

>

SD2.3, NYII, C&V, MC, MF, ED, Latin Perc, Twisted, Pop, N1H, Electronic, Classic, Funkmasters, Rock Solid, Blues, Indie-Folk.

throughthesegates
    Participant

One thing I dont understand here,

Is why take the easy way out by using Presets? What exactly are you gonna learn in the process. If you do everything from scratch than thats when the learning process begins. You figure out what sound you want and you make it. Thats how you become a great engineer.

norrie
    Participant

Yeah but a preset can be a helpful start up for a simple sound if required you can then tweak from there or start from scratch if you like I some times do both.

The point wasn’t about takeing a easy way out or anything along that line the point was why make a preset that when you load it it instantly clips on the master bus ?

Rogue

Norrie, I’m not sure I follow your line of thinking regarding presets, which we have gone to great length to make very modular and far more useful than a click-select happy/unhappy affair, but I’ll give a go as to why it is likely that some users out there will find that particular presets are ‘hot’, or as you like to call them ‘clipping’.

The overall volume of the sampler at any given moment is proportional to the number of sample voices that it pipes down its output(s), and the velocity of the MIDI events that your part triggers. That’s a very clean summary, though simplified to the extreme.

So this is going to be highly dependent on the MIDI you feed it, and the voice limit you have set (the preset does not overwrite this, or at least that’s the way we started implementing this around the time of Metal Foundry). It sure has no in-built intelligence that allows it to know that you are a hard hitter riding a loud crash at 220bpm 🙂

Anyway, the presets were made as real-world song mixing exercises in almost all cases i.e with specific MIDI parts to work with… sometimes those will be pretty airy, sometimes they will be in the realm of the ‘manic blastbeats’. So, without knowing how busy and dynamic the MIDI the preset maker used was, it is hard to qualify the gain structure as wrong.

That said, yes, I’m sure there are some presets that will be ‘hot’ no matter what. Sometimes we catch one that we feel we have to bring in line (Dirk’s recording preset was ‘fixed’ with a library update for example – as a late addition this wasn’t caught in the QA process from the get-go). This is in fact regularly pointed out to us in during the beta process, sometimes rightly so (though we take the time to investigate) and corrected.

There’s plenty of reasons why this could happen though, and why we often feel that’s fine as is, but the most important rule that goes at Toontrack is that we ask highly skilled engineers to produce presets for us and they have the full context they were designed for. I sure don’t feel it is appropriate to question that their work is anything but of the highest standard, especially when all I have to do to make it work for my own musical needs is to lower a master volume.

That said it is entirely your right to question their skills, or our quality assurance, but the above discussion hopefully will somewhat make you consider on what basis you do so.

Rogue Marechal - Toontrack
    Configuration Manager

Nathan
    Participant

I wonder if I’m in a class of 1 here, I would bring them down so that they were hiting my DAW channel at -12 to -18dBFSD. I haven’t tried any presets yet (tho curious now), am I right in presuming that these are delivering at above 6dB.

And I send to multiple DAW channels, in this case are they being delivered to a stero pair?

>

SD2.3, NYII, C&V, MC, MF, ED, Latin Perc, Twisted, Pop, N1H, Electronic, Classic, Funkmasters, Rock Solid, Blues, Indie-Folk.

VOLiTiAN
    Participant

If I could just step in, the justification of presets, who uses what and for what purpose is great an’ all, but no-one has actually mentioned that all this talk about peaking hasn’t taken into account that not even some of the highly priced pro tools setups come with DECENT and ACCURATE metering, every channel you’re trying to fault find should have a decent meter in there, it’s an absolute must, DAW meters are very inaccurate….

Steve slate drums are meant for drum replacement technology, they are designed as an overlay to an exisiting track to polish that up, it’s almost pointless by comparison to try and use SSD as SD2.0 has far more velocity layers and gives far more feedback to the player, we know this cos all our drums were done on V-drums through superior 🙂

P.s. it’s always been considered that mixing to master bus compression is self defeating as you’re mixing to a dynamics processor so changes end up being non-linear…

Regards

D.

www.myspace.com/VOLiTiAN www.soundclick.com/VOLiTiAN www.reverbnation.com/VOLiTiAN www.soundcloud.com/VOLiTiAN

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.