S2.0 Few Techs Questions.

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • thrinithan
    Participant

We are all in the dark here. I think you need to wait for the NAMM show before details will be released

phil_fee
    Participant

ORIGINAL: djk314

1) Will it be possible to have cross-sticks (like td20 module) to have two notes like head+rim make one another note,
    exemple note 28 + note 32 crosstick detected = note 33. i think in software with some fine tuning/balancing in detectection it’s possible to make that,
    is s2.0 will be capable to make that ?

I don’t think the TD-20 works that way. My impression of the way Roland TD series works is that when you hit a rimshot (stick contacts rim and head simultaneously) both sensors send a signal to the brain more or less simultaneously and in response the brain sends a single midi note – the note for rimshot. If you put the stick across the rim and and avoid head contact with your hand (or even just hit directly on the rim with the stick and don’t hit the head) the brain interprets input from the sensors as a cross stick trigger and a different single midi note is output. There is an option in the TD12/20  for turning on or off the midi note sent by the brain when a cross stick is played. If that switch is on you should be able to get superior (1.x) to learn that note as the trigger note for the cross stick sound on any snare which has been recorded with one.

Win 11 Laptop - MSI 12700, 32GB RAM, 3 TB SSDs, Acorn 61 Masterkey
    and Nord Electro 6, Reaper 7, Cubase 13 Pro, Studio One Pro 6, RME Fireface UC

Win 7 64 i7 workstation 12 GB RAM, Fireface UFX, TD-12, Kawai MP9000 master keys, Reaper 6.x, Studio One V4.x, Cubase 11

Tosh 17" Win 8.1 64 Laptop w i7 quad core 16 GB RAM Fireface UC TD-6 w VH-11 Reaper 6.x Studio One V4.x

philippe capitani
    Participant

I don’t think the TD-20 works that way. My impression of the way Roland TD series works is that when you hit a rimshot (stick contacts rim and head simultaneously) both sensors send a signal to the brain more or less simultaneously and in response the brain sends a single midi note …..

Thank’s for info about that, what i wanted to knows is if i could do the same as the td20/12 brain with s2.0 software using a simple Alesis trigger IO for exemple.

S2.0+C&V.Pearl Traveler Moded, Roland&Hart Magnum head drum. Roland&DIY Cymbals,FD8,TriggerIO+TD3. Macbook Pro SL. Drum.http://www.natarajxt.com/

phil_fee
    Participant

I don’t know what Superior Drummer 2.0 will do but, if your brain/sensor combination will output different notes for head and rim only, then you can play two sounds (eg normal hit and rimshot OR normal hit and sidestick). If your pad/brain combo can output 3 notes from one pad then you could play all three sounds in any drum sampler that supported those sounds.

The Roland TD-12/20 brains do some analysis of the signal level/time differences of the electical signals from the two piezo sensors (one located under the centre of the head and the other in the rim) and decide what sample to play. It is quite possible for them to play a greater range of internal sound than the number of different notes they will output (this is true of the TD-6V hat and snare for example).

I have some hopes that Alesis will get the act together with that unit or some later model and have it do everything the Rolands do (at a price) but I don’t think there are any guarantees at this stage. Roland’s products represent a couple of decades of development and I don’t think other hardware manufacturers are going to be able to match all their capabilities anytime soon.

Win 7 64 i7 workstation 12 GB RAM, Fireface UFX, TD-12, Kawai MP9000 master keys, Reaper 6.x, Studio One V4.x, Cubase 11

Tosh 17" Win 8.1 64 Laptop w i7 quad core 16 GB RAM Fireface UC TD-6 w VH-11 Reaper 6.x Studio One V4.x

philippe capitani
    Participant

Yes Roland is very advanced for that compared to Alesis or others, but i think a simple midi software filter could do the job for crosstick, like this :
    rim sound + head sound = rimhead sound (1+2=3), no need analysing for more rim or more head to play the third sound, simply play another sound when these two notes (head+rim) are trigged at the same time, so after mapping these 3 notes you can have all basic three of the snare effect. I agree it need a really good xtalk between piezo and need a third sound recorded.

S2.0+C&V.Pearl Traveler Moded, Roland&Hart Magnum head drum. Roland&DIY Cymbals,FD8,TriggerIO+TD3. Macbook Pro SL. Drum.http://www.natarajxt.com/

phil_fee
    Participant

The thing is, these trigger to midi converters do not output two notes when you hit the head and the rim. They only output one note. There are reasons why that is the most practical way for TMCs to work.

If you understand how MIDI works, it is a serial stream that isn’t all that fast ( eg 31.5 kbit per second) and two notes (one from the head and one from the rim) would come out one after the other and any connected MIDI instruments would interpret them as two separate notes. The first midi note would trigger the associated sound as soon as it arrived and the instrument (eg sampler) wouldn’t wait around to see what the next note (and its velocity) would be. That would increase the latency on every note considerably.

Inside the Alesis or Roland brain, things are much faster – the brain isn’t running on slow midi traffic (ie MIDI isn’t sent by the pads to the Alesis I/O brain), it is digital electronics processing the electronic output of the piezos. If MIDI were superceded by a much faster standard then what you have in mind would be possible.

philippe capitani
    Participant

Ok i understood and i know how midi work, you mean my little operations would be better to manipulate two midi notes on the tmc directly not out of it, but i think out of tmc on my pc i can for exemple with bidule software or cubase midi filters modify near realtime midi notes that arrived from my tmc, didn’t found that simple logic operation (1+2=3) for now but… i will search.
    Thx again.

PS : If i understood too about S2.0 it will be only a sound module for external TMC’s, nothing to maniplulate midi notes orso, no brain, just sounds.

phil_fee
    Participant

Thinking some more about this it seems likely that your Alesis unit is a little faster than TMCs connected by MIDI leads – what is now a 25 year old standard. Samplers can respond to midi notes and also midi continuous controllers – so there are potentially many sounds from a hi hat with CC 04 coming from the hi hat pedal (128 different values of that controller). Positional sensing for snare drums is a possible feature for samplers – like that found in the TD-8/10/12/20. The TD-12/20 output CC 17 as well as midi notes in response to hits on the mesh snare pad. Positional sensing information could thus also be used to trigger different snare sounds in a software drum sampler. AFAIK the Alesis does not support this sort of function. Lets wait and see what is on offer in Sup 2.0 – full specs and kit lists should be out reasonably soon.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.