Pop outside my wheelhouse

User demos
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Jeekem
    Participant

I’m not into Pop either but you have some cool things going on in the song. I hate to be critical because you have a much bigger body of work that I do.
    I seem to record things I write and get them sounding as good as I can and then I delete them because they don’t live up to my own expectations or standards.

I thought the synth part was kind of cool. I can’t seem to figure out what the sound is right around the time the guitar solo ends there are some great bell like tones in the background that I thought were great.

Overall though, the mix sounds a bit too compressed. It’s like everything that is going on is happening in a very narrow band of frequencies. I think it would sound better with both more highs and lows standing out.

I liked it better than what I hear on any Top 40 type stations these days. I’ll reveal that I’m a Grandpa and tell you that what I hear the most on Pop radio and TV still sounds like fricking disco to me. (And yes, disco still sucks)(I don’t watch much TV and haven’t seen Idol or the Voice since my wife passed away a couple of years ago)

When I was younger R&B consisted of Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Stevie Wonder, etc. What they call R&B these days sounds like Disco too. The only dance music I ever liked was either up tempo big band stuff or serious boogie. Little Feat is freaking dance music. No one was ever able to stay in their seat when they were on stage. Everyone was dancing on the back of their seat.

Please forgive my critique. I’m fast approaching geezerhood I guess.

JeeKem

BigJguitar
    Participant

Hey JeeKem, thanks for listening and dont worry about critiquing my songs ever. I always try to impress as best I can but theres always room for improvement! As for the song, the bell type sounds are from Alchemy. I used 2 sounds together to get that sound. I had a hard time trying to
    get everything in there. I would agree POP and R&B isnt what it used to be, im very familair with the names you mention. Im no spring chicken myself and im sorry to hear that you delete your stuff. Just becouse I have a larger body of music online doesnt mean its good or that im better
    then anyone else. IM NOT FAMOUS, hell I barely have over 200 fans on reverbnation haha! Ive learned to let go, and Im much more happy for it! Some people will like it, some will hate it, but you do have to live with yourself… Think about it this way, if you knew you couldnt fail, what would you do? I say dust off your workstation and write for yourself first and then see if others like it. Being critiqued doesnt mean you failed, IMHO people hear what they want to hear, but in the end I dont have to change shit!

http://www.reverbnation.com/jasonhanerfeld

wagzisnotadrummer
    Participant

cool tune, Jay!

http://soundcloud.com/blackdaddywarbuxxx

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.