Up to 20% off all individual MIDI packs for drums, EZkeys and EZbass!*

Up to 20% off all individual MIDI packs for drums, EZkeys and EZbass!*

Up to 20% off all individual MIDI packs for drums, EZkeys and EZbass!*

Mixing drums inside SD rather than in host DAW

Studio Corner
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bear-Faced Cow
    Participant

The old saying goes: if it hurts, then you are doing it wrong.

Mixing is indeed a balance of all instruments, as well as the arrangement of them. It’s a craft that requires a lot of time and practice to start, in order to get a decent sounding mix.

It doesn’t really matter if you are using the plug-ins within SD3 or in Logic, as long as what you are using works in the overall context of the song. Some songs I mix use SD3’s plug-ins, and some use various third-party plug-ins, while others use a combination of both. It’s the song that matters.

jord

Jordan L. Chilcott

Web Site: https://jordanchilcottmusic.com/

basshole1979
    Participant

Thanks.  I just didn’t know if most folks actually used the stuff built into SD or not.

John

Personally I tend to use the internal processing with just a peak limiter on the outputs in my DAW while composing, when I’m ready, I may split up things more and separately route individual instruments to their own channels in my DAW.
    Alternatively, I use the internal Bounce to get rendered audio files.
    Don’t forget you actually can use e.g. a Reverb from your DAW via Sends in the SD3 mixer; just set up a Send that routes directly to a separate output to your DAW. On that track (in PT I use an Aux Track) you insert the Reverb and set it 100% wet.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

basshole1979
    Participant

Got it (sort of). The routing stuff can get real confusing real fast so the idea of routing into the SD mixer is a new concept for me but good to know…I was thinking of it as an isolated thing…a program within your DAW, if you will.

John

Sorry if I confuse you, I didn’t mean to imply that you can get sound from your DAW into the SD3 mixer but rather that a Send on a channel in the SD3 mixer can be used for sending to (e.g.) a Reverb in your DAW mixer. It isn’t possible to get the sound back into the SD3 mixer.
    This can be used for other stuff than a Reverb; a Delay or parallell processing, etc.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

basshole1979
    Participant

My mistake. I probably misread. Either way, good to know.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.