Looking for help with mixing problems

User demos
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • BigJguitar
    Participant

Ok so I listened to this with my monitor headphones, and honestly I dont get a box sound at all. IMHO, I think cutting your low end up to 200hz is a mistake as I think you have taken some body out of the vocals and guitars, but then again it IS only vocals and guitar. Try adding a bus track of the vocals(Panned centered) and take the 2 vocal tracks and start to pan them left and right and see how the separation might add some depth. Then slowly start filling the center with the bussed vocal track, with maybe some reverb. As for the guitars, bring back some of that low end, just a tad and maybe gently add some low-mids for color around 400hz on up. This pressure you speak of, how loud are you listening to this, and what are you listeing to this with, I felt no such thing even when playing this track loud on my ATH-D40s. Like I said, I think you have a very good clean sound that can use just a little body. A great reference track for acoustic guitar is anything by Andy Mckee, IMHO for a good start!

http://www.reverbnation.com/jasonhanerfeld

notstewart
    Participant

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment BigJguitar!! I really like the idea of the bus track for the vocals and panning them L/R while leaving the Stereo panned Centre. Up till now I always had the lead vocal centre and the doubled vocal track panned off to one side and pulled back. I guess the reason for that was to try to “hide” the second vocal track and make it sound as one, but I’m definitely going to give that a go. I’ll also play around with the EQ around the 400 hz area (and thanks for the Andy Mcgee tip). As far as cutting up to 200hz, I only do that with the second vocal and second acoustic track, but you may be right about cutting too much. I put a Pre mix analyzer on the stereo bus and it showed way too much going on in the low end (between about 150-250 hz) and that made me think it was causing the problem. I’m presently at work and I don’t get the box like sound on these speakers, perhaps its time I tossed out my old home computer speakers, on those it sounds as if I recorded too close to the mic (that is what I called perhaps wrongly a box sound). At work I’m not getting that ear pressure sensation, but I do get it on my home computer speakers and sometimes when mixing on my recording monitors (older Yorkville YP-1). It mainly appears on tracks that were recorded with the mic (usually vocals). I’m going to try to find a piece of funiture to throw a blanket over and put it behind the mic. I have wood panel in the bedroom and it’s probably feeding back into the mic. Thanks again for the help, really appreciate it!! One other thing that may help is that I’m trying to learn to use finger picks, it’s going slow, but so far I’m making progress with a thumb and middle finger pick. It feels too awkward for me with three picks. If I keep at this I won’t have to add a second ficking picking track anymore.

Samplitude Pro X3 Suite, SD 3, Tascam UH7000

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.