License transfer fee?

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 11 replies - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Scott

so, @Scott, this is really real? I sell a drum MIDI pack for 15 EUR and I will have to pay 15 EUR for the license transfer?

If this is real I will have to change all my reviews and explicitly mention this fact in all my videos about Toontrack products 🙁 Personally, I think it is inappropriate that there is a fee at all.

As good and as much fun as the Toontrack stuff may be, 15 EUR per transaction is not a reasonable proportion. 😉

I can no longer recommend buying Toontrack products as I recently learned that there is a 15 euro / dollar fee to be paid when reselling a license. Toontrack calls it a “license transfer fee”. Great products, great forum, but that’s a really crappy topic. Sorry! This is an important point to keep in mind if you are planning on purchasing a Toontrack product.

Fortunately, that doesn’t really concern me at the moment. But as mentioned before, I have at least two drum MIDI packs that are identical to the MIDI of the expansions. Why should I keep the MIDI packs that I bought much earlier than the EZXs? Doesn’t make sense, does it? 😉

Yes. Information regarding Toontrack’s license transfer process and policy can be found here: https://www.toontrack.com/faq/transfer-of-license-and-multiple-installs-important-information/

Hi Scott. One thing I haven’t well understood. Let’s say I’m selling a SDX and two MIDI packs altogether. Will you levy $45, three times $15 per item, or a single $15 for the whole transaction?

Shaw

From what Toontrack has told me it’s $15 per license.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Scott

Read the license, you are not allowed to resell the software. I found nothing that harmonized with Swedish, Norwegian dance music and older country music in these three programs. For me, this purchase was a big financial loss, over 4000, -SEK right out the window you could say. Tragically, I get stuck with such expensive music programs that I can not use for anything, and can not resell.

Yes you can resell it, as the FAQ states.

https://www.toontrack.com/faq/transfer-of-license-and-multiple-installs-important-information/

The only stipulations are that you must wait 30 days and there is a $15 transfer fee and of course, contact Toontrack via the license transfer webform (see the above FAQ).

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

A Z
    Participant

I guess any useful or halfway polite answer also costs a 15€ fee.

I will turn around every penny 10 times before it goes to Toontrack, if ever again.

The arrogance of a – for now – market leader, I guess..

David
    Participant

Absolutely disgusting behaviour, and the attitude of people involved with toontrack is also patronising, passive aggressive, and generally bad. I will make sure to say so on every single forum and platform I can find too – prospective customers need to know who they’re dealing with.

Is this even legal? We all bought our products when it COST NOTHING to transfer an item. Shouldn’t the law then be that anyone who bought before this was introduced be allowed to transfer for free?

Elvis Hodzic
    Participant

This is simply a matter of greed and a real “dick move”, trying to prevent anyone from reselling their license,

which afaik is not even lawful according to european laws!

In fact the new license transfer procedure does not even work, which is again a way of trying to get people to

stick with their licenses, even they are no longer used.

For 15€, It should at lease be a 100% automated procedure and

should not require contacting the support and trying to figure out why it does not work in the first place.

I also do not think that applying a new license transfer policy in the secret is lawful!

You should be able to transfer any license without a fee that has ben purchased prior to the announcement,

i think that’s the only way Toontrack can save themselves from a massive shitstorm, but that’s just my opinion 😉

However, I will never buy a Toontrack product again!

• This post was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Elvis Hodzic.
    joe
    Participant

This is simply a matter of greed and a real “dick move”, trying to prevent anyone from reselling their license,

which afaik is not even lawful according to european laws!

In fact the new license transfer procedure does not even work, which is again a way of trying to get people to

stick with their licenses, even they are no longer used.

For 15€, It should at lease be a 100% automated procedure and

should not require contacting the support and trying to figure out why it does not work in the first place.

I also do not think that applying a new license transfer policy in the secret is lawful!

You should be able to transfer any license without a fee that has ben purchased prior to the announcement,

i think that’s the only way Toontrack can save themselves from a massive shitstorm, but that’s just my opinion 😉

However, I will never buy a Toontrack product again!

• This post was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Elvis Hodzic.

Well, if it was a 100% automated, then there would not be a need for a fee. Need or excuse – whats the difference? 😉

I absolutely agree that there should not be a fee for licenses purchased before the fees had been introduced! Lets not say purchased but registered!

I dont think that Toontrack will face a massive shitstorm in the future. But I do think that the number of MIDI pack sales will slowly decrease  on condition that the 15 dollars license transfer fee becomes common knowledge in the community 😉

Spending further money on Toontrack products while there is a license transfer fee? No way! 😉

License transfer fees countervalue is $ 2,250.00
    (done...)

So my anger about the Toontrack license transfer fee introduced in June 2021 is not entirely unfounded...

https://www.toontrack.com/faq/transfer-of-license-and-multiple-installs-important-information/

Lee Shapiro
    Participant

I decided to sell my EZBass, two EZBass packs, and about 10 EZBass MIDI packs.   Before I realized there is now a license transfer fee, I advertised the MIDI packs for $10 each, which seems fair since I originally paid $23 for each.    But now, if I keep that selling price, I’ll actually be losing $5 for each midi pack.
    And asking $15 for a midi pack would be the highest amount I would ask, otherwise people might as well buy the packs right here at Toontrack.
    So I would just break even for the MIDI packs in that case.

The only reason I’m selling these products is because I’m on disability now and literally need money for food.  Otherwise I would not be selling them.
    So I guess I’m screwed.  I can sell the EZBass and sound packs, but I’ll be stuck with the MIDI packs (if I actually sell EZBass), and have absolutely no use for them.

Thanks a lot Toontrack.   And thanks for being so open and communicative about this issue that has so many customers pretty upset.
    Bad business….very bad business.   The folks in charge of Toontrack need to seriously rethink their license transfer fee model.

Thanked by: Didier Martini
    Pablo Cano
    Participant

I don’t know if the decision to put a fee is good or bad… it’s their business, but I think the explanations are few and poorly given.

I am going to sell some of my products that I am not using, and I have made the decision not to buy any more products from Toontrack.

You have lost a customer. Have a nice day!

BlueMistral
    Participant

Que fuerte, te vamos a extrañar…

Laurent Levante
    Participant

I just got burned by this.  Lost $10US selling midi packs on KVR.  Never going to buy Toontrack again and going to whine online until I feel better.  The new Spitfire originals drum kit sounds heaps better so I’ll reluctantly lose money to purge this piece of shit company from my VST file.  Good luck to you loony toontrack.

Thanked by: Tormod Guldvog
    Peter Rundgren
    Participant

This is the worst kind of business practice.

Viewing 11 replies - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.