License transfer fee?

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Markonian
    Participant

I really enjoy your videos, Joe.

Tormod Guldvog
    Participant

Both here and on Facebook I was told that I should contact support to get more information. But Toontrack is not interested in any communication about this. Here is the answer from support when I asked why the fee was implemented, why it was the same for all products, and why I need to transfer one license at a time:

Thanks for your email.

We certainly understand that new policies and procedures can take a moment to get used to, however, it is Toontrack Support protocol to not engage in conversation, speculation or debate regarding the implementation and /or impact of our corporate policies. As we’ve stated, As of June 24th, 2021, Toontrack has implemented a $15.00 USD administration fee for all Toontrack product license transfer requests. We cannot comment as to how or why this came to be.

If you do want to transfer your serial numbers then they do need to be done one at a time.

So  it is obvious that this is a corporate money grab to stifle the second hand market.

I still love Toontrack’s products. I use them all the time. I am not looking to sell them. Toontrack has fantastic developers and work with great sound engineers. But I no longer feel like a valued customer, and I have learned now that Toontrack cares absolutely nothing about me as a loyal user. They are not even willing to discuss anything with me or their user base at all.

I plan to file a complaint with the EU commission for commerce. But I expect nothing to come of it.

Shit happens. Good luck, Toontrack.

Thanked by: Ketil Ervik, musicjunk and Markonian
    joe
    Participant

Good luck with the complaint!

License transfer fees countervalue is $ 2,250.00
    (done...)

So my anger about the Toontrack license transfer fee introduced in June 2021 is not entirely unfounded...

https://www.toontrack.com/faq/transfer-of-license-and-multiple-installs-important-information/

Thanked by: Tormod Guldvog
    Renaud LAVOISIER
    Participant

Holly sh** i just sold 2 licence to someone and juste dsicovered those fees !! That’s madness, how can you ask money for this. Really bad move Toontrack…

Thanked by: Ketil Ervik and Markonian

I have nearly all their products… but it’s sad too see toontrack came up with something like this… one of the reason I moved from bfd3 was because of their transfer fee… but they seem to be better since they charge one time for multiple product transfer… and I wonder how 15$ can be charged as transfer fee for a midi pack which cost 23$ during offers… looks like a bad investment for me since I have all their midi packs..they should have informed us before… bad stuff and bad decision during this pandemic..

Thanked by: Markonian
    joe
    Participant

Just visited PreSonus:

The Transfer Fees for PreSonus Software are as follows:

• StudioOne : $25.00 US
    • StudioOne Add-Ons : $5.00 US/ea
    • Progression : $10.00 US
    • Notion : $10.00 US
    • Notion/Progression Add-Ons : $5.00 US/ea

(done...)

So my anger about the Toontrack license transfer fee introduced in June 2021 is not entirely unfounded...

https://www.toontrack.com/faq/transfer-of-license-and-multiple-installs-important-information/

Thanked by: musicjunk and Tormod Guldvog
    Tormod Guldvog
    Participant

Yes, that sounds like a more customer friendly fee structure!

Casey James
    Participant

Wow – genuinely disgusted

Making the move to SSD or AD Drummer – FU Toontrack

musicjunk
    Participant

@toontrack

i am sure Toontrack  had LOTS of transfers back in the day so in general its not great but “okay” to pay a fee.

for example if someone sells Superior Drummer 3 and has to pay  15 euro fee …thats okay

but to pay 15 € for lets say an ezx that you can sell 2nd hand for 30€ is not okay

not to mention the MIDI packs…i mean…what do you get 2nd hand for a midipack ….10-15€ if you have luck….

and for that 15€ transfer fee EACH plugin  is very dissapointing …

and sad…like i said  its okay to pay a small fee

for example:

sd3 15€ fee

ezdrummer / ezbass / sdx 10€ fee

expansions (evx/ezx)  5€ fee

and no fees for midi

or to keep it even more simple: 5% fee from the original price

thats not so complex…easy to understand/use

and less loyal custumers wouldnt be that dissapointed.

Thanked by: Lee Shapiro, Tormod Guldvog and Leo K
    joe
    Participant

4. TRANSFER. You may move the Products to a computer which you own other than the computer on which such Products were originally installed provided the provisions of this Purchase Agreement are complied with. You may not transfer or assign the Products or this Purchase Agreement to another end user; provided however if you are a company, you may transfer and assign such Products and this Agreement to another company acquiring substantially all your assets if the acquiring company acknowledges in a writing satisfactory to and delivered to Toontrack Music that it is bound by the terms of this Agreement. Exceptions may be granted at our discretion if you request such consent prior to concluding arrangements with the party interested in acquiring the Products and the license within this Purchase Agreement. Please note that a transfer request can only be considered after a period of 30 days after the Products have been registered to your account.

A completely different question: Why don’t you read anything about license transfer fees in the terms and conditions? Is that because a change would require approval? So at least according to German law! 😉

(done...)

musicjunk
    Participant

interessting…coz i already paid a licence 15 euro fee AFTER i sold an ebx…that was the first time i noticed something has changed…

well i am not a lawer but if you are right i should ask them that in a seperate email…

in the end they have still gret products but i am very dissapointed and and lost part of my “high meaning” ….

very shamefull whats goin on at the moment and even when i dont have 2235 countrtvalue ^^ i could spend near 1000 Euro :))

joe
    Participant

interessting…coz i already paid a licence 15 euro fee AFTER i sold an ebx…that was the first time i noticed something has changed…

well i am not a lawer but if you are right i should ask them that in a seperate email…

in the end they have still gret products but i am very dissapointed and and lost part of my “high meaning” ….

very shamefull whats goin on at the moment and even when i dont have 2235 countrtvalue ^^ i could spend near 1000 Euro :))

There is no question that Toontrack products are great fun, which my 150 Toontrack licenses prove. Nevertheless, there are now drum expansions, EZkeys instruments, EZmix packs, and of course MIDI packs for EZdrummer and EZkeys, which I would like to get rid of at some point because I simply don’t (or hardly at all) use them. But when I bought my Toontrack products, a license transfer fee was simply non existing. I doubt that I would have bought another Toontrack product after I would have to be paying a transfer fee for the first time (in the past).

It is perfectly normal for company policy to change. If Toontrack wants to introduce a license transfer fee, then Toontrack should do that. But not for products that were already purchased before this introduction! That is highly unfair.

That is most unjust. You should at least have the choice whether you are willing to accept such a disadvantage or not!

(done...)

Thanked by: shawshawraw
    joe
    Participant

Funny:

https://www.arturia.com/faq/buyorsellproducts/how-to-resell-my-license

That is how it should be.

Simply unregister license!

It is just like when I sold my Scarlett after purchasing a Steinberg audio interface:

• Contact the support.
    • The supports makes sure that the serial number of the AI is no longer registered to your account.
    • And whoever holds the product in his hands after buying it can register the AI to his account.

No fees, no displeasure! 😉

(done...)

Thanked by: Tormod Guldvog, Einz Scovald and Markonian
    shawshawraw
    Participant

so, @Scott, this is really real? I sell a drum MIDI pack for 15 EUR and I will have to pay 15 EUR for the license transfer?

If this is real I will have to change all my reviews and explicitly mention this fact in all my videos about Toontrack products 🙁 Personally, I think it is inappropriate that there is a fee at all.

As good and as much fun as the Toontrack stuff may be, 15 EUR per transaction is not a reasonable proportion. 😉

I can no longer recommend buying Toontrack products as I recently learned that there is a 15 euro / dollar fee to be paid when reselling a license. Toontrack calls it a “license transfer fee”. Great products, great forum, but that’s a really crappy topic. Sorry! This is an important point to keep in mind if you are planning on purchasing a Toontrack product.

Fortunately, that doesn’t really concern me at the moment. But as mentioned before, I have at least two drum MIDI packs that are identical to the MIDI of the expansions. Why should I keep the MIDI packs that I bought much earlier than the EZXs? Doesn’t make sense, does it? 😉

Yes. Information regarding Toontrack’s license transfer process and policy can be found here: https://www.toontrack.com/faq/transfer-of-license-and-multiple-installs-important-information/

Hi Scott. One thing I haven’t well understood. Let’s say I’m selling a SDX and two MIDI packs altogether. Will you levy $45, three times $15 per item, or a single $15 for the whole transaction?

Shaw

Ketil Ervik
    Participant

Read the license, you are not allowed to resell the software. I found nothing that harmonized with Swedish, Norwegian dance music and older country music in these three programs. For me, this purchase was a big financial loss, over 4000, -SEK right out the window you could say. Tragically, I get stuck with such expensive music programs that I can not use for anything, and can not resell.

Ketil Ervik

Thanked by: Tormod Guldvog
Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.