Today only – 40% off 18 selected EZXs.*

Today only – 40% off 18
selected EZXs.

Today only – 40% off 18 selected EZXs.*

is roland td 30 k worth it with superior drums?

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Juicy
    Participant

The next few months should see great deals on the mega TD20X.
    The smaller pads whilst ok on TD9 are not quite what a Real drummer is used to playing .( A maxed up TD9 is as low as i would go)
    The 10- 12 inch pads are worth it and a TD20x or TD20 will trigger SD2 perfectly well.Two crash and a triple trigger ride is also standard on the bigger kits.
    The TD30 are more abut the brains sounds connecting with the Pads.Perhaps the newer pads are even better but i dont think that is worth using the Roland sounds just to take advantage of it.The rest is just modelling and floss.

Frank Bond
    Participant

Hey Phillipe. I’m in exactly the same position as you. I’m looking to buy a kit to trigger SD2 and have a drummer play it from time to time.

I looked at the manual for the TD 30 module to try and determine if there would be any advantage to using the module to trigger SD2 and it looks like the parameters sent by the module are the same as those on the TD 20/12 for the hihat, ride and toms basically. The only differences I see are the nuance setting for the rims in the TD 20 and TD 30 and the positional sensing on the auxs for the TD 30. I’m not sure how these parameters would translate as midi data (I know they are CC messages) and whether that would translate to more expressiveness in SD2.

I haven’t used an edrum set with SD2 yet so all I’m going by is the manuals. They are kind of hard to decipher because they don’t use the same language to describe the same thing in all the manuals.

I’m leaning towards getting a TD 12kx at the moment but I think I’ll wait for the 30s to come out so I can look at a TD 30K set. The advantage of that would be the size of the pads for when I have drummers over and also future expandability. The disadvantage is the price.

Cheers,
    Frank

willyvee
    Participant

Hello All,

I am in a similar position- last year I pulled the trigger on the Alesis DM10 studio to “upgrade” from my older Roland TD6V/Pintech/Roland kit. The Alesis kit isn’t terrible, but now that I’m looking at expanding my use of edrums beyond my practice studio I am looking for something that simply performs better. I love the results and potential I see with SD2 (the sound is unbelievable), so I am looking for a module that triggers much better than my Dm10 or Trigger IO. My situation is little different in that I will only be using the Module and am going with an A to E conversion from Stealth Drums. There are three solutions I’m looking at in terms of modules: 1) getting a great deal on a TD20 now that the TD30 is out- what helps here is that I’m not concerned about getting the expanded version since I’ll be using Toontrack sounds for the gigs and recording 2)2box – awesome box that you can load the SD2.0 sounds into and not need a computer. I have read a statement that Toontrack is fine (at the moment) with OWNERS of SD2.0 loading their sounds on their 2box modules. Of course, no current US distributor, but I’ve found some great UK shops that are more than reasonable and happy to work with folks in the US. Finally option 3) Megadrum- great DIY TMI that, from what I understand, far surpasses the Trigger IO. This is a pretty involved project, but it may be possible to find someone willing to sell the completed box. Also, I beleive I recall reading where the developer would build the box for you (for a charge, of course).

For my gigging rig I’d love to go with the 2box only because it means no computer to haul around. I wouldn’t mind also picking up either a TD20 or a mega drum simply as back up (of course, these would both require the computer with SD2.0 loaded, not a huge deal, but it would be great to simply run the SD2.0 sounds from one box. For my current gig having an ekit that looks acoustic will be key also, but that is just my current situation

bakerboy
    Participant

As someone who’s been using a TD-12 module and assortment of Roland pads & cymbals with Superior Drummer, I can tell you that it triggers beautifully. I’ve actually made few adjustments aside from setting the MIDI preset to “e-drums” within Superior. The most helpful change in my setup, I think, was when I ditched the VH-11 hi-hat setup and went with a CY-12 in combination with a FD-7 foot pedal. The open/close variability just seems to respond more naturally and consistently with that setup. That’s been my experience, anyway.

But the responsiveness of the pads and cymbals is fantastic. You will most likely have to play around with some trigger settings on the Roland module to suit your playing style. I’ve mostly just made adjustments to the sensitivity setting for various triggers. I leave the other trigger settings at default in the module. And the MIDI settings are left at default in Superior also (except for the e-drum MIDI preset)

Having said all of that, I think you’d be very happy with a TD-20/x and wouldn’t need to spend the considerable extra money for a TD-30 kit. I wish I had larger pads all around and a larger kick drum than what I’m using, but other than that I’m totally pleased with my setup.

TD-12 module
    KD-85 kick
    PD-125 snare
    PD-85 rack toms
    PD-105 floor tom
    CY-12 cymbal for hi-hat (combined w/ FD-7 foot pedal)
    CY-14 crash cymbal
    CY-15 ride

chrismb
    Participant

Hello I have a V-drum td30K. I can not program the articulations of the hi hat when I try build a kit with X-Drum. Could you give me a step by step instruction how to do this in the manual because it is not well explained and can not find any article or documentation about it. thank you

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.