How to get Zep/Bonham grooves and sound?

Studio Corner
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Jay Coover
    Participant

Load up the Ludwig Silversparkle kit from Metal Foundry. That’s the Bonham kit right there. Slap a compressor on the stereo out and tweak. Also make sure appropriate ambience/room mics are added.

There are some Bonham grooves in Vintage EZX but if you get the kit right, a lot of the heavy grooves will start sounding Bonham-y.

fizbin

SD 2.3 NY vol 2/Metal Foundry/C & V/Roots 1 & 2/Music City Latin Percussion/Funkmasters/The Classic/Jazz/Pop!/#1 Hits/Electronic/Twisted/Claustrophobic EZKeys 1.1 with all the trimmings

Veech
    Participant

cool, thanks! I don’t have Vintage EXZ, I wish there was a way to just get the midi, I don’t have a need for the sounds.

I have the Rock Songs and Blues midi packs along with the Songwriters series and Monster midi series. I may grab the Backbeats, Roots, Session Drums and Americana midi packs and see what kind of grooves they offer.

Looking for any other suggestions for where to start with grooves.

Jay Coover
    Participant

I don’t know that there exists a When the Levee Breaks knock-off groove anywhere in Toontrack MIDI. Maybe do an Internet search for that song plus “MIDI”, grab the drums out of it and tweak it your self. Also, wouldn’t be that hard to program from scratch. Tougher will be getting the feel.

http://www.hamienet.com/midi6073_When-the-Levee-Breaks.html

One other thing for the When the Levee Breaks sound – in your host set a tape delay plug-in to a single 16th note slap. Mix it just so you can barely hear it on the snare. You might have to put a high pass on the delay somehow so that the bass of the kick doesn’t overwhelm.

In Cubase that would mean creating an FX track and putting a highpass insert before the tape delay insert and hitting that as a send from the Superior out track.

SD 2.3 NY vol 2/Metal Foundry/C & V/Roots 1 & 2/Music City Latin Percussion/Funkmasters/The Classic/Jazz/Pop!/#1 Hits/Electronic/Twisted/Claustrophobic EZKeys 1.1 with all the trimmings

VOLiTiAN
    Participant

Or just apply the delay direct to the track with a mix control?

In fabfilter timeless you can specify crossovers, mix, left/right linking etc, so no need to bus to an external track… and the cut-off’s/envelope of the delay can all be tuned, in fact doesn’t Cubase’s own delay fx all have EQ’s?

Just saving the mouse clicks 🙂

Regards

D.

www.myspace.com/VOLiTiAN www.soundclick.com/VOLiTiAN www.reverbnation.com/VOLiTiAN www.soundcloud.com/VOLiTiAN

Jay Coover
    Participant

Yes, of course. A number of ways to add a delay, but if you put a high pass (or any EQ) from the Cubase built-in EQ on the drum track, or an EQ as an insert it will apply to the whole kit, not just the delay slap. You want to filter only the slap. It should be audible, but not full-bandwidth or it will take up too much sonic space.

Using Timeless as an insert and using it’s internal filter and setting the mix there would do the trick, and apply the filter only to the delay.

Veech
    Participant

ORIGINAL: fizbin

Load up the Ludwig Silversparkle kit from Metal Foundry. That’s the Bonham kit right there. Slap a compressor on the stereo out and tweak. Also make sure appropriate ambience/room mics are added.

There are some Bonham grooves in Vintage EZX but if you get the kit right, a lot of the heavy grooves will start sounding Bonham-y.

fizbin

ok thanks for the rec on the SilverSparkle kit. What would you recommend for the snare, hats and cymbals?

I found a decent Bonham-y groove, one of Peter Fredlander’s halftime grooves

Jay Coover
    Participant

The defaults are pretty good. Listen to a Zep recording and cycle through the other choices. I’d say the crashes are the most immediate candidates for switching out.

Bonham also played a Ludwig Vistalite which is also one of the kits in Metal Foundry. I think that was more of a live kit, but may have been on some recordings. I don’t know for sure.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.