Four amazing deals,
this weekend only!

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Hi-Hat chick and splash with a Zendrum and Superior Drummer 3

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • John

Hi,

are you using any of the MIDI Presets on the MIDI In/E-drums page as a starting point?

Does your Zendrum send a note for the foot chick when you press down the pedal? What does the CC curve look like if you record it? Do you get full resolution from 0 to 127?

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Jay
    Participant

I just started with the default setting in the edrum page, then I learned every note from each pad.

The zendrum doesn’t send a midi note when I press the pedal, but it dies show a wide range, but I’ll need to verify that it’s the full 0-127.  Out of curiosity, I also plugged in my old FD-7 pedal, and got the same results.

Should the Zendrum also be sending a note number?

thanks,

~Jay

Jay
    Participant

I get CC4  and under velocity I get “in” 2-125, and “to” 1-127. If I understand the Zendrum, it shows that it’s set for a minimum of 0 and a maximum of 127.

do you have any idea of what could be wrong?

thanks,

~Jay

MintberryCrunch
    Participant

The zendrum doesn’t send a midi note when I press the pedal,

It won’t work if there is no Pedal Chick note. You could use an Audiofront Midi Expression device instead 🙂

John

Yes, MintberryCrunch is right, if no note is sent, there will be no Pedal Chick and while you probably should get a “splash-y” sound if you hit the HH and release the Pedal fast, it won’t sound as natural if what you are going for is a chick-splash-chick-splash thing.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Jay
    Participant

Thanks John,

Do pad to midi interfaces normally send a midi note with a HH pedal?  forgive my ignorance, but as I understand it, the pedal is CC4 that gives change data values of 0-127.  Where then would a midi note number be generated?

Do the pad to midi interfaces normally derive the two note numbers for chick and splash based on an interpretation of rapid pedal movement?

~Jay

John

Hi Jay,

most HH Pedals and E-drum modules send a note when your foot hits the floor of the pedal movement. The CC data determines the openness of the HH.
    No note is sent when you release the pedal, it is the combo of notes and CC data that generates the splash.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Jay
    Participant

Just an update in case Anyone is curious. I bought the eDRUMin 10 interface. The HH chick and splash work well now.

Thanked by: theonlyglenn@gmail.com
    JonFairhurst
    Participant

Consider using Gig Performer to host SD3, or any plugin for that matter. I posted a Scriptlet for creating the “chick” note for a simple CC pedal here: https://community.gigperformer.com/t/hi-hat-chick-sound/17041

Gig Performer supports Setlists, Songs, Variations, and can switch “Rackspaces”. This lets me customize the SD3 setup as well as the Zendrum mapping song by song or during different parts of songs.

I can leave SD3 with its default mapping and never touch my standard Zendrum mapping. I just create a quick translation map in Gig Performer as needed. For instance, I can go from a Charlie Watts (Legacy of Rock), small kit setup with just a few toms and many snare articulations to a 1980s Phil Collins (Hitmaker) setup with toms galore, to a completely different Cuban Percussion/Drum setup for a Salsa groove – all with the touch of a button. And I never have to remap the Zendrum or SD3.

And with no extra hardware, I can get a HH chick with a simple Kawai piano sustain pedal.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.