EZD2 workflow: best practices

Studio Corner
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • onewayout_1
    Participant

That’s r exactly how I’m working… But I’ve already set my individual outs though and some added Fx to get the feel and the groove going… I’ll start from intro to chorus out/ending building my parts this way…. Then as I’m adding my instruments I’ll need more in chorus (or less) DIFFERENT rides or hats change up the kik& snare in the second verse ect…

David George
    Participant

Oh wow–I didn’t realize that you can change the instruments clip by clip (different ride or kick, etc.)–will have to try that. Thanks so much for pointing this out.

Related question: I don’t think this is possible, but I’ll ask anyway.

So let’s say I have my basic kick on one track in the DAW (I use Pro Tools).

Can I set up a second track to have a different instance of EZD2 to layer on percussion?

Juicy
    Participant

You can have several instances .
    This is a good way of getting around some of ezD limitations or just to get a bit creative with your midi play back.
    You could for example have exactly the same kit loaded except for the Snare drum or a dry version and wet version of the same kit and send the midi to where ever you like for different sections. Pretty sure thats what he meant not clip by clip on one instance.

onewayout_1
    Participant

Juicy is very on with more instances!! I was actually saying I would change the kik & snare pattern a bit to add a different groove for the second verse…BUT here is a new song I am working on with 2 instances…This is VERY typical that I have for verse and then chorus….

Also I drag the midi into my daw after I have done my tap&search and edited in ezd2 to manipulate the midi even more…Like humanize and then change the velocities a bit…nudge the kik, snares off grid even more for a live feel… https://www.toontrack.com/news/making-custom-drum-tracks/7/ This is a great tutorial of what I’m talking about….Hope that helps

David George
    Participant

Thanks, juicy and onewayout1 for your replies. It’s funny you posted Graham’s video: I’m a regular @ RR but missed this (I wasn’t an EZ user at the time).

Having more than one instance is great!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.