EZD2: Vibraslap

Studio Corner
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Scott Eshleman
    Participant

In limited testing just now, I added a vibraslap to a few grooves using Edit Play Style (with Hip Hop EZX library loaded)…
    I think that the number of vibraslap hits added upon 1st increase is related to the number of bars in the groove being edited;
    i.e. 1st increase to a 1-bar groove yielded a single vibraslap hit on Beat 3 of that bar
    1st increase to a 2-bar groove yielded 2 vibraslap hits on Beat 3 of each bar.
    2nd increase to a 1-bar groove yielded a 2nd vibraslap hit on Beat 4 of that bar.
    2nd increase to a 2-bar groove yielded a 2nd vibraslap hit on Beat 4 of each bar.

Does this coincide with your experience at all?
    If not, please elaborate. Thanks.

David George
    Participant

I will try it out again, but whenever I’ve worked in 8 bar grooves the first (lowest) number you could add has always been 8. This was in Hip-Hop and Reggae EZXs.

Scott Eshleman
    Participant

@dg27 said:
    I will try it out again, but whenever I’ve worked in 8 bar grooves the first (lowest) number you could add has always been 8. This was in Hip-Hop and Reggae EZXs.  

Correct.
    Perhaps I did not explain my findings clearly enough…
    As I said in my previous post,
    1st increase to a 1-bar groove yielded a single vibraslap hit on Beat 3 of that bar
    1st increase to a 2-bar groove yielded 2 vibraslap hits on Beat 3 of each bar for a total of 2 vibraslap hits across the 2 bars.
    …and so on that:
    1st increase to a 8-bar groove yielded 8 vibraslap hits on Beat 3 of each bar for a total of 8 vibraslap hits across the 8 bars.

Scott Eshleman
    Participant

Possible options to limit the hits inserted:
    1) Use the scissor tool to isolate the bar(s)/beat(s) into which you’d like to insert the vibraslap hit(s).
    The bars can be merged together again afterwards, if so desired.
    or
    2) Use the [Record] function of the SongTrack to record vibraslap hit(s) where you’d like them.
    Quantize them if you don’t get it ‘spot on’.

David George
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions. I understood your point and the math. I just tried it with an 8-bar groove in the Hip-Hop EZX and the lowest number you can get is 8. That’s what I think is weird. I work with a lot of different percussion pieces and with (I think) everything else I’ve used it starts with 1. I guess I’ll do it the way I’ve been doing it: add 8 and remove 7 in the MIDI file in my DAW (Pro Tools). I can move it wherever I want it.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.