Dream Theater’s “Black Clouds & Silver Linings” kick sound…

Studio Corner
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Adam Weber
    Participant

-Choose the 14×24 kick from the Avatar kit, use the felt beater and lower the pitch to -3.5
    -Attack = 6.5ms
    -Decay/Sustain = 8.3ms at 15.8%
    -Hold = 2.00ms
    -Release = 154ms
    Set all three mics to output 1 then add
    -Compressor: Threshold = -19db, Attack = 15ms, Ratio = 5.0:1, Release = 100ms (no make up gain, auto make up gain on)
    -EQ (from left to right): 0 Gain, -15 Gain, 1 Gain, -2 Gain, 2 Gain (leave everything else alone)
    -Transient: Attack = 0, Sustain = -1
    Should sound close enough. You may need to change a few things depending on the mix for your snare, toms, etc, but I’m sure you can work around it if you really want this kick sound. Good luck!

metaltyme
    Participant

Wow!  Thank you for taking the time out to help me out with this, as I honestly didn’t really know where to start.  I will try this out tonight!  Thank you, thank you! 

Best,

CJ

Adam Weber
    Participant

No problem haha. I was actually kind of surprised I was able to get a base sound since none of the drums they used to sample S2.0 or Metal Foundry have similar shell qualities to bubinga, which is what Portnoy used to record that album.
    I’ve done a little more work on it and it also works with the 18×22 kit in Avatar if you lower the pitch to around -8.6 and use the plastic beater. Only thing I’m having trouble with is getting more resonance out of it.

metaltyme
    Participant

Well, I used your suggestions last night while tinkering around with it.  VERY close it is.  I’ll also try the one you just mentioned to see if that gets more closer to the ideal I’m after.  This definitely gives me something to work with at any rate.  Thanks again on your trials to achieve this.  I actually scoured the nets looking for any written clinics by the mixing engineer (I think it was Kevin Shirley) without any luck.  I know…wishful thinking.    I’ll give it a hefty ‘go’ tonight again and see if I can get more resonance out of it like you mentioned.  Of course, to be sure, I’ll throw down some similar guitars to BC&SL’s gits for context of a real mix.  Any findings I may come up with, I’ll be running them by you.  Thanks again!

CJ

Tomaz Lovsin
    Participant

Hi!

Did you manage to “improve” the sound and got what you were looking – or rather hearing – for? If you did can you please write the settings? I also like that particular kick very very much and would really like to use it … but am somewhat of a newbie and don’t really know where to begin…

Thanks. BR!

Paul Jones Winlund
    Participant

Pleaaaazzzzze, can some do this for the snare.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.